Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What's a great amp?
Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: December 24, 2007 01:21

I should be getting like $100 for Christmas this year from my realives etc. I know it probably might not be a good idea to buy a $100 amp when I have this Peavey amp worth about half that much (LOL)- unless some of you know of a great $100 amp..?

So I guess I'll save it and buy a great amp that will last me a while. I'm looking for one that would work well in my bedroom, on a stage, and while recording something. Versatile I guess. I mean, I have plenty of effects pedals and what not- I ain't interesting in anything crunchy or something like that. Something with a lot of power and ball busting ability. Maybe with a bite to it, but something that will still handle pedals without getting muddy, but also still unique on its own. For examle, what kinda amp did Keith use for Sympathy for the Devil? I have that documentary on it, but he switches a lot in it.

I know this board contains the masters of the guitar/amp universe. I got great advice on pickups here before. What do you guys suggest? What are your favorites? What are Keef's favorites?

Re: What's a great amp?
Posted by: FlashJackFlash ()
Date: December 24, 2007 01:35

The little champ dear, 190 dollars, its a classic amp and the cheaper of tube amps. One of keith favourites, regards.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 24, 2007 02:25

I've tried a lot of amps, but the one I'm stuck with blows all other ones away. A 4-speakers - 160 watts tube amp; Music Man - just the same as the Fender Amps, only different logo.....from the 70s, I'd think

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: December 24, 2007 02:37

how much power ya wanna push

is this an amp for a band or practice?

I do VOX and CRATE (both solid state and tube) but I used to play out alot and need a stack... you can find really nice practice amp for $200 or so (even less if you shop the papers, internet and pawn shops.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 24, 2007 02:39

in your price range for about a hundred bux there's Roland Micro Cube Modeling Amp. comes with carrying strap, you can run it with batteries but it comes with ac adaptor. it'll give you seven of the Roland/Boss "Cosm" models, all tweakable, and also six dps effects like verb, tremelo etc...they are super good for practice, recording...and as a pre-amp if you are gigging with other players...a lot of pro players are very happy with 'boss' pedals and owns tons of them...so you'd be getting very diverse and usable dirty and clean sounds from this little unit...very good sounding...i've only played thru one once...but it was very present little amp.

if you're gonna need an amp with some firepower live amidst drums and bass amps and other gear, you have to think more than a hundred bux...or something used...

if you have great pedals already and know you're sound and how to get there, almost any solid state or tube amp should work for you...remember Marshall's are a Chinese product now so don't let brand 'hipness' get in your way, especially in that price range...

You could record professionally with that Roland and it's quick/easy to learn and set up; extremely light weight...and just mike it, or plug it directly into a P.A. or larger amp when you need one...

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: December 24, 2007 02:43

The Beetle give GOOD advice

I know the amp of which he speaks and it IS a good, cheap amp that can easily transfer to a studio (I would play a venue bigger than your basment... but it is a nice starter)

Beelyboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> in your price range for about a hundred bux
> there's Roland Micro Cube Modeling Amp. comes with
> carrying strap, you can run it with batteries but
> it comes with ac adaptor. it'll give you seven of
> the Roland/Boss "Cosm" models, all tweakable, and
> also six dps effects like verb, tremelo etc...they
> are super good for practice, recording...and as a
> pre-amp if you are gigging with other players...a
> lot of pro players are very happy with 'boss'
> pedals and owns tons of them...so you'd be getting
> very diverse and usable dirty and clean sounds
> from this little unit...very good sounding...i've
> only played thru one once...but it was very
> present little amp.
>
> if you're gonna need an amp with some firepower
> live amidst drums and bass amps and other gear,
> you have to think more than a hundred bux...or
> something used...
>
> if you have great pedals already and know you're
> sound and how to get there, almost any solid state
> or tube amp should work for you...remember
> Marshall's are a Chinese product now so don't let
> brand 'hipness' get in your way, especially in
> that price range...
>
> You could record professionally with that Roland
> and it's quick/easy to learn and set up; extremely
> light weight...and just mike it, or plug it
> directly into a P.A. or larger amp when you need
> one...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 24, 2007 03:13

If your budget is about $100, you could consider a Pignose: [www.pignoseamps.com]. Not very big, but well known for a great sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-24 15:43 by Koen.

Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: December 24, 2007 06:11

My budget aint nescesarily $100, but I may check some of those suggestions.

I already have a 100 watt Peavey amp (older than I am) that fits comfortably in my room. I guess I'm looking more for an amp to take to some venues, but would also fit comfortably in my room (if possible).

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: December 24, 2007 10:06

For 150€, you'll get an Epiphone amp the "VALVE JUNIOR".
This is a real tube amp and it's a 5w power but very loud.
Just one button on/off and volume knob but really great sound and perfect to play in an apartment. Geat for blues and rock.

Posted by: Phantom ()
Date: December 26, 2007 13:28

While we're on the subject of tube amps... does anyone own/tried a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp? I'm looking for a tube amp for my American Strat and the Deluxe looks very interesting to me! I'm also interested in the Marshall DSL 401. I know I should try them myself but it would be nice if someone could already give their honest opinion here. Thanks.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: December 26, 2007 17:20

Make sure the volume goes up to 11

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 26, 2007 18:16

Phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While we're on the subject of tube amps... does
> anyone own/tried a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp? I'm
> looking for a tube amp for my American Strat and
> the Deluxe looks very interesting to me! I'm also
> interested in the Marshall DSL 401. I know I
> should try them myself but it would be nice if
> someone could already give their honest opinion
> here. Thanks.

I have one, it sounds great, very loud, and it's very affordable. Make sure you check out this site for useful info: [studentweb.eku.edu]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home