Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Know Anything about Travel in Russia/Moscow
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 16, 2007 19:49

OK, now let's have the first complaint: anybody ever notice how timbernardisplexiglass likes to use us as his source of information for travel -- go to Yahoo Travel or Rick Steves, willya??

That said, in going to Europe this coming summer, the only Delta Frequent Flyer route i could get for us and still keep it at 50K miles (not 75 or 100K) was to go from Montana to LA, thence to Moscow before going on to Zagreb (Croatia).

So I said, what the hell, since I am going thru Moscow and they are making us start 3 days earlier than we wanted, might as well spend a couple of days there. Should be some interesting things to see.

2 things: is it expensive to stay there and is getting a Visa easy enough?

And any other comments/complaints you care to make.

I kind of think with sssoul might know something about this, but I am sure others of you out there do too.

And all this travel will be tied in with some Stones activities, though not in Russia.

The F. Plexiglass

Re: OT: Know Anything about Travel in Russia/Moscow
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 16, 2007 20:08

Hey, Tim!

Doesn't the Delta website offer tips on destinations as well?
I've never used it for that myself, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: December 16, 2007 20:27

It's probably easier for you to get the exact information on the travel sites online. And the information would be more compact.
Visa and how easy it's to get one depends on your nationality, occupation and criminal record. And purpose of travelling.
Seriously, this one is not ending up in the IORR most important threads.

Date: December 16, 2007 21:38

doesnt have to, we all help each other out. Someone who has actually been there recently could give some useful comments.

P

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2007 21:51

Tim...Do not risk spilling Vodka on a Cossack...It is an ancient custom
where they are obliged to follow you for 30 days while continually dancing and shouting ...

Can get a tad tiring after about 1 day...So always hold your Vodka firm in hand

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: December 16, 2007 22:08

Getting a visa is easy enough, but costs some money, and do it well ahead of time. Hotels are expensive in Russia, but I think you will find everything else a great deal. Highly advise working with a travel agent who specializes in russian trips. She can help with both visa and hotel, and another piece of advice, which is to have a russian speaking guide of some sort. Travel agent could help with that too. Remember, the alphabet is different, so figuring out things on your own is next to impossible.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: December 16, 2007 22:11

I heard stories about american businessmen who were kidnapped and ransomed because of the poor state of the economy, but that was several years ago and I doubt that happens much

I also know they enjoy raising their arms at concerts, which I know you find frustrating

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: December 17, 2007 03:12

Great City. I went last summer on a tour and spent 3 days in moscow. The language was very difficult- like someone said, totally different alphabet and sounds (as compared to English- which is also a difficult language).

Red Square is amazing! The Kremilin on one side (great museum), great churches all around and one of the coolest malls (older building). Other great museums around the city also. Gorky Park was nice.

There is a statue in the middle of the river of Peter the Great on a boat. A truly amazing statue/momument.

The moscow circus is very famous (I did have issues with animal rights though) and great. The underground trains have some beautiful stations (artistic- paintings and sculptures).

I felt safe there for the time I was there (though only walked around during the day). And, like someone said, you need a travel agent due to needing a 'letter' from somebody in Russia to support your travel. This is how they produce additional jobs. The visa wasn't cheap (more than $100 U.S. dollar).

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 17, 2007 03:35

Here's some info: Moscow is OK but YOU MUST go to ST. Pete's. If you can stretch this to 5-6 days I'd say 2 days Moscow/Overnight Express train/3 - 4 days St Petersberg. Russia is not exactly safe. I have a good friend who shoots for GETTY IMAGES (travel Photog) and he had to do an emergency visit to a toilet ASAP during the day (this is in Moscow). Went into a DELUXE 5-Star hotel and went down a flight of stairs to use one of their toilets (you'd think this was a very safe move). Got down there and found it strange that all 5 stall doors had broken locks - he had to go due to stomach cramps so said F*ck-it and picked the last stall. Within a couple minutes some robber dude burst in as my friend was sittin on the toilet and starting going for his wallet/passport/money/camera equipment in a VERY violent way. It's hard to fight back with your pants down in the middle of a "sh*t or Die" attack !!! he finally got the guy off when he found his wallet but said it was a VERY nasty experience (and this guys been to about 130 countries - he knows how to handle hmself traveling, not a naive guy). I can see this kind of stuff happening there, also don't be surprised if your credit card has "mystery" charges on it, they'll steal your CCnumber faster than you can say STOLISNIYA - hmmm, spelling looks off. It's a very rough country full of surprises. Things ain't going well there but they hardly ever do. Bon Voyage

PS Try [www.tripadvisor.com] for reviews by customers of all the hotels in Moscow and St Pete's..... you don't buy/reserve rooms on this site, you just learn about hotel rooms here - good, bad, clean, dirty, etc, etc one of the best on the net......

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: December 17, 2007 03:38

Tim, go to www.gotorussia.com, they have helped me get a Russian Visa about 8 times now without a hitch. You might also want to look on that site ad a few others and consider renting an apartment. Often you can get an upscale 1 or 2 bedroom Apartment for a few nights cheaper than you can get a decent hotel room.BE PREPARED, many travel magazines now talk about Moscow as THE most expensive city in the world, and my last trip to Saint Petersburg end of October first of November astounded me how fast prices were spiraling upword, just since the Stones had played there

Posted by: The Biggest Bong ()
Date: December 17, 2007 03:49

HelterSkelter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's some info: Moscow is OK but YOU MUST go to
> ST. Pete's.

what he said.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: December 17, 2007 05:29

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-31 06:25 by cirrhosis.

Date: December 17, 2007 08:49

Thanks a lot, everybody. I will definitely try some of those sites. Right now, I am a little freaked at some of the things I have just read -- crime and high prices. But we are only going to be there for a couple of days, basically in transit to Zagreb.

Jumpin'JackFrash:
I also know they enjoy raising their arms at concerts, which I know you find frustrating - gotta love this comment, great!

I think I'll go off and watch my copy of Dr. Strangelove, which I just got.

Plexi

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: December 17, 2007 10:20

... obtain a business visa via the russian ministry of interior or the russian

foreign ministry to import/export plexiglass. youll then be treated as an equal.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: December 17, 2007 10:33

Yeah, it's f*ckin' cold and you don't need to take your own Vodka from Duty Free! LOL

SD

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 17, 2007 10:56

Be careful with that vodka. Look what happened to Keith Richards last time: after visiting Russian he was so drunk to fell down on his butt in their next gig in Helsinki (in fact, he is not the first person to come from Russian in that condition: ask Finns, there is a whole subculture called 'vodka tourism').

But it is goddamn fine vodka. Yes it is.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-17 10:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 17, 2007 18:01

Tim, don't want to scare you off with that toilet story, if you're careful and always have one eye on your surroundings things should be cool (and REALLY be careful at night). Thing is is Russia IS the wild west, people don't have money, and times are somewhat desperate for some..... then again it's almost ALWAYS been a mess. Just be AWARE and things should be fine... I'd go on group tours from your hotel and watch out for pick pockets and scam artists, this ain't Switzerland..... but you can do it and enjoy yourself, just BE CAREFUL, that's all

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home