Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Beach Boys - Dennis B-Day & Brian's Award
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 4, 2007 11:53

dead far too young at age 39, the youngest Wilson brother brought so much good energy and natural charisma to the band. Born 4th of December. Even his rudimentary drumming at their early live shows was always a kick. A lovely and troubled spirit gone too soon.
a bit of a bio: [encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com]

And the least likely survivor of the bunch, the fabulous Brian received an award from The Kennedy Center in D.C. last night; the ceremony will air on american television on 12/26, tho Brian dosen't perform, so don't set your tivo; other honorees this year include Scorcese, the hilarious Steve Martin and the even funnier Diana Ross.
[www.kennedy-center.org]

r.i.p. dennis (and Carl) you will never be forgotten

Re: OT: Beach Boys - Dennis B-Day & Brian's Award
Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: December 4, 2007 15:33

Thanks Beely, a nice heads up. I really love the beach boys, and have seen Brian a few times in the last three years - all of them wonderful experiences. Music from the heart, harmonies from the angels...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 4, 2007 16:47

Thirty years ago no one would have imagined Brian being the Last Wilson Standing.

I remember seeing footage of Dennis playing the drums at a BB gig shortly before he died...he was still a rocker, bearded and just bashing away.

And a romantic, too: "Only With You" from the Holland album. He was more than just the most photogenic BB, he had some deep musical aspirations. Check out his solo album, Pacific Ocean Blue.

And man, do I miss Carl. His voice-like-honey graces so many of their songs...one of the most soulful singers ever. The guy took the wheel when Brian stepped back and kept the band on that Long Promised Road. He never gets enough credit. A great talent whose warm human spirit just illuminates all his work.

What can you say about Brian? After all his dark hours and pain, he got the happy ending that he deserved.

The Beach Boys have given us so much. God bless Brian, the Wilson brothers, and Al Jardine.

(And what the heck, it's Christmas. Yeah, even Mike Love...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-04 16:48 by loog droog.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 4, 2007 17:01

Great posts by all - I agree fully. I love the Smile version of "Good Vibrations" too.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 4, 2007 19:19

I had the pleasure of meeting and having a quick beer with Dennis Wilson back in 1977-- very funny guy...

His solo album Pacific Ocean Blue is great-- and if you ever get the chance to here the follow up to that disc, "Bamboo" (only available as a bootleg), do it-
would have been a tremendous second solo release

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: December 6, 2007 04:16

If you watch the TAMI Show set, Dennis was kickin butt in the early days. Later
he was out of action from putting his hand through a window. When he returned his speed was gone so he took to hitting the snare with the big end of the stick harder than anyone I've ever seen, just slammin' the back beat. He still kicked butt! R.I.P Dennis and Carl, you are greatly missed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-06 04:20 by keithfan64.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: December 6, 2007 08:10

.. theres many diamonds around,, but the beach boys were and are true gems..

Posted by: turd ()
Date: December 6, 2007 15:30

bob r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had the pleasure of meeting and having a quick
> beer with Dennis Wilson back in 1977-- very funny
> guy...
>
> His solo album Pacific Ocean Blue is great-- and
> if you ever get the chance to here the follow up
> to that disc, "Bamboo" (only available as a
> bootleg), do it-
> would have been a tremendous second solo release

Bamboo is 'available' if you look carefully (and it is worth the search) - or else buy the T shirt!

[cgi.ebay.co.uk]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 7, 2007 01:39

Brian wilson may have made "pop" music but he is one of the great composers IMO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home