Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Neil Young
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 28, 2007 18:01

Just picked up tickets to see Neil Young and like someone suggested the Stones do in another post I am getting his new cd for free from buying the tickets... And the tickets were only $60.. Can't wait for the show.

Re: Neil Young
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 28, 2007 18:25

You have overtaken SweetCharmedLife as my new Nemesis! All 3 Toronto gigs are sold out (unless there is a ticket drop) and the tix are listed on eBay in the hundreds of $$. They went on sale and were gone while I was still away... WHERE are you seeing them - it may be cheaper for me to go there! And what elevation are these $60 seats? Will you be trading in your CD for binoculars??? Arggghhh!!!! Jealous, jealous, jealous (helpless, helpless, helpless...). Sigh.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 28, 2007 18:32

Tickets just went on sale this morning and I actually got decent seats. I am seeing him in Connecticut at the Oakdale, now I think called Chevrolet Center. My seats are mid-level, not upper level, the venue is rather small so all the seats are pretty good. He is also playing right near me in NY, those haven't gone on sale yet... Again another small venue so you can't go wrong wherever you sit. I'd say its worth a trip if you are a big Neil fan, he usually doesn't hit these kinds of venues when he plays around here.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: September 28, 2007 19:19

Hounddog that is a great deal especially with the CD tossed in gratis. I've seen Neil 4 times and cherish each show very much. I'm too broke to travel anywhere to see him this time around so I envy those who will be seeing him. I hope you guys who go will post about the shows you take in.

Jim

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2007 19:58

I scored 6th row center (in the pit) for the LA show pre-sale,
but it set me back about $250 each - face value.

Date: September 29, 2007 02:22

Hey 'Hairball'. I'm Orch, row F, seat 213. We'll have to get together before the show for a couple of beers. Too bad he's not playin' the Hard Rock in Vegas like he did for Greendale. The stage was too small so he did 2 1/2 hrs of hits and left 2 Greendale songs for the first encore. Then he played 2 more encores and almost came out for a fourth. One of the best Neil shows I've ever seen. I've seen him every tour since '76.

Scotty,
Irvine

Date: September 29, 2007 06:25

micknkeef@cox.net Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey 'Hairball'. I'm Orch, row F, seat 213. We'll
> have to get together before the show for a couple
> of beers. Too bad he's not playin' the Hard Rock
> in Vegas like he did for Greendale.
>
> Scotty,
> Irvine

Sounds like a plan Scotty!

As far as Greendale, I guess I'm one of the oddballs here.
I loved the album, the concept is great, and there's some killer tunes on there.
And then I saw it, heard it, and loved it at Santa Barbara Bowl live.

But my favorite Neil concert? In a Rusted Out Garage tour. Classic all the way.

Date: September 29, 2007 06:41

Some Neil info here:

[neilyoungtour2007.blogspot.com]

I'm really interested as to what type of setlist he will end up with ... probably much of Chrome Dreams II, but Neil likes to surprise

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: September 29, 2007 06:48

I hope he soon comes to old Holland!!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 29, 2007 07:21

Tickets $69, $94, $132

kinda Republican, ain't it Neil? sorta maximizing that profit like one of those despicable capitalists.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 29, 2007 15:27

KSIE Wrote:
> Tickets $69, $94, $132
>
>
> kinda Republican, ain't it Neil? sorta maximizing
> that profit like one of those despicable
> capitalists.

As early as 1999 I remember him charging $75 for a good seat to a solo acoustic show and I thought "Christ, how much can it cost to lug an acoustic guitar around? Where's all this 'overhead' that we're supposedly paying for?" I also remember there were $125 golden circle tickets for that show which got you a chance to go backstage after the show to attend a brief meeting with Neil in which he asked you to contribute money to one of his favourite charities. Shit, man, take it out of the $125.

And I don't have to tell you that the first CSNY reunion tour in 2000 was the first time ANYONE charged $200. Not even the Stones had gone that high before. What did you get for those "Superfan" tickets? Well, I got 5th row center, right in front of Neil's mic stand. Twice he threw a drink into the crowd and I got splashed both times. What a punk! (LOL)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-29 15:30 by tatters.

Date: September 29, 2007 19:25

Hey Wally (Hairball). My user name is my email address. Anyone other SoCal IORR people going to Nokia, lets get together.

Scotty

Date: September 29, 2007 19:28

tatters Wrote:
> KSIE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tickets $69, $94, $132
> >
> >
> > kinda Republican, ain't it Neil? sorta
> maximizing
> > that profit like one of those despicable
> > capitalists.
>
>
> As early as 1999 I remember him charging $75 for a
> good seat to a solo acoustic show and I thought
> "Christ, how much can it cost to lug an acoustic
> guitar around? Where's all this 'overhead' that
> we're supposedly paying for?" I also remember
> there were $125 golden circle tickets for that
> show which got you a chance to go backstage after
> the show to attend a brief meeting with Neil in
> which he asked you to contribute money to one of
> his favourite charities. Shit, man, take it out of
> the $125.
>
> And I don't have to tell you that the first CSNY
> reunion tour in 2000 was the first time ANYONE
> charged $200. Not even the Stones had gone that
> high before. What did you get for those "Superfan"
> tickets? Well, I got 5th row center, right in
> front of Neil's mic stand. Twice he threw a drink
> into the crowd and I got splashed both times. What
> a punk! (LOL)

check out this take on Neil's ticket prices:

[lefsetz.com]

I actually subscribe to this guy's newsletter ... some pretty good stuff actually and never short on controversy.

Jim

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 29, 2007 20:51

tatters Wrote:
> And I don't have to tell you that the first CSNY
> reunion tour in 2000 was the first time ANYONE
> charged $200. Not even the Stones had gone that
> high before.

Yes they had, As early as some shows in 1998 and for all the shows on the No Security tour ($300 for the top ticket..or was it $350. Although the front ten rows were generally around $90. I think they may even have charged something similar when they played the MGM in Vegas a few years earlier (1994?), although im not sure

What did you get for those "Superfan"
> tickets? Well, I got 5th row center, right in
> front of Neil's mic stand. Twice he threw a drink
> into the crowd and I got splashed both times. What
> a punk! (LOL)

LOL

Date: September 29, 2007 22:30

Gazza Wrote:
> tatters Wrote:
> > And I don't have to tell you that the first
> CSNY
> > reunion tour in 2000 was the first time ANYONE
> > charged $200. Not even the Stones had gone that
> > high before.
>
> Yes they had, As early as some shows in 1998 and
> for all the shows on the No Security tour ($300
> for the top ticket..or was it $350. Although the
> front ten rows were generally around $90. I think
> they may even have charged something similar when
> they played the MGM in Vegas a few years earlier
> (1994?), although im not sure

I saw the Stones in 1999 and I could swear the top price was $150 which was the highest priced concert ticket I'd ever heard of at the time, although now that I think about it, it's POSSIBLE there MAY have been $300 tickets for that show, but if there was, it was only for seats in the first row or the first two rows. The rest of the floor seats were all $150. At the CSNY concert one year later, the $200 ticket was for a "Superfan" section that encompassed something like the first 20 or 25 rows of floor seats.
>
> What did you get for those "Superfan"
> > tickets? Well, I got 5th row center, right in
> > front of Neil's mic stand. Twice he threw a
> drink
> > into the crowd and I got splashed both times.
> What
> > a punk! (LOL)
>
>
> LOL

The great irony is that after waiting 25 years to see all four of them onstage together, I had a guy sitting right in front of me who must have been at least 6' 5". Hard as I tried, at no time was I able to actually get all four members of the band in my field of vision at the same time!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 30, 2007 01:14

tatters Wrote:
> I saw the Stones in 1999 and I could swear the top
> price was $150 which was the highest priced
> concert ticket I'd ever heard of at the time,
> although now that I think about it, it's POSSIBLE
> there MAY have been $300 tickets for that show,
> but if there was, it was only for seats in the
> first row or the first two rows. The rest of the
> floor seats were all $150.

I was at 2 of the US shows too, Tatters and the price range was from $40 (behind the stage) to $300, with most tickets in the $90 and $125 range. Average was around $109. In some venues the top price was $250, but in Vegas it was $400. Generally the highest priced tickets tended to be around the b stage and towards the front of the floor, but they definitely kept a few rows at the front for $90,

See here for list of shows and ticket prices - [www.iorr.org] - although it lists Fargo's top price as $150.

Normal BTB tour ticket price was $65, but the MSG shows in January 1998 were $30,50, 85, 150 and 300 - see entry here [www.iorr.org] dated 20th November 1997.

The tickets for the show at the Joint, Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas a month later were $250 (I think) and $500 and then their final US show of 1998 at the UC in Chicago was another 'experiment' in pricing with tickets at $100, 200 and 300.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 30, 2007 05:32

I had a couple of those 1998 $300 United Center Tickets.

The Neil Young Presales have worked out pretty well for me. Seventh row center in Denver on 11/5 and forth row Pit on 11/6 also in Denver for $104. Two "free" CD's and no fan club membership charge. The "new" version of Ordinary People sounds great.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 30, 2007 06:52

KSIE Wrote:
> Tickets $69, $94, $132
>
>
> kinda Republican, ain't it Neil? sorta maximizing
> that profit like one of those despicable
> capitalists.

Cute comment. Don't forget Neil's the guy who when asked if he would play at a McGovern for President concert with Barbra Streisand responded by saying, "How do you know I don't support Nixon"?

Date: September 30, 2007 15:15

BluzDude Wrote:
> KSIE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tickets $69, $94, $132
> >
> >
> > kinda Republican, ain't it Neil? sorta
> maximizing
> > that profit like one of those despicable
> > capitalists.
>
> Cute comment. Don't forget Neil's the guy who when
> asked if he would play at a McGovern for President
> concert with Barbra Streisand responded by saying,
> "How do you know I don't support Nixon"?

Good point. In 1972 if you looked like a "hippie" people just sort of automatically assumed you were a Democrat. Neil's song "Campaigner" certainly seemed sympathetic to Nixon, with its line "Even Richard Nixon has got soul"

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 2, 2007 00:13

>Don't forget Neil's the guy who when asked if he would play at a McGovern for President concert with Barbra Streisand responded by saying, "How do you know I don't support Nixon"?

He released the "War Song" single in support of McGovern.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 2, 2007 01:05

paid $350 (face) for Vegas in '94...kinda regret it now, but at the time it seemed like the only chance i'd have to catch the band in a smaller environment....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 3, 2007 06:09

SomeTorontoGirl Wrote:
> You have overtaken SweetCharmedLife as my new
> Nemesis!......Gee I don't know whether to be flattered,dissapointed or pissed.....I always thought I was the only nemesis for you STG....But as for Neil. I love his music. But the two times I've seen him live he sucked. Inlcuding that godawful Greendale crap. Don't bill yourself as Neil Young & Crazy Horse than come out and perform a play. That was awful. But I applaud what he and his wife do with the Bridge shool concert every year. Great cause indeed.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 3, 2007 06:35

Sweetcharmedlife, all we are saying is give Neil a (second) chance. smiling smiley

You may be pleasantly surprised. I understand Greendale wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but that was a one-off tour. I've seen him about 10 times, and each time was great, including Greendale - as bizarre as it was.

But it's like saying you'll never see the Stones again, because they played a lousy show.
I've seen several lousy Stones shows, but that didn't stop me from seeing them again.

Date: October 3, 2007 07:08

Well I never said I would'nt see him again Hairball. Yes the Greendale shit left a bad taste in my mouth. Espicially at $75 a ticket and great seats. I prefer the Crazy Horse stuff which is great. I have shamefully never been to the Bridge School Concerts. Won't be able to this year because of shceduling conflict and busy rock week for me.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 3, 2007 08:15

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> Well I never said I would'nt see him again
> Hairball.

My mistake, didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

Maybe we'll see you in LA for Fogerty? And maybe even Neil?!!!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 3, 2007 14:48

sweetcharmedlife Wrote: Gee I don't know whether to be
> flattered,dissapointed or pissed.....I always
> thought I was the only nemesis for you STG...

Not to worry SCL - if you get tix to Neil Young and I don't, you're right back on top! grinning smiley

Date: October 4, 2007 04:36

Thanks STG. Don't think I will make it to see Neil.(something about The Eagles & Bruce Springsteen being in the same week) But Always love throwing on some Neil. Espicially Cortez the Killer............Hairball. Yeah I broke down and got a Fogerty ticket. Also took your advice and got a room at the Wilshire Grand for The Eagles. Espicially now that I know it's only 3 blocks from The Nokia............And here I thought I was saving so much money by not going to Europe to see the Stones. What's a poor boy do to?

Date: October 6, 2007 02:03

If you're looking for a good concert value, consider this: Dylan is twice the artist Neil is. And his tickets only cost half as much.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: October 6, 2007 03:01

Here's a recent article about Neil in the Guardian [www.guardian.co.uk]

If I understand correctly you could possibly catch a ride with Neil if you're hitchhiking from Wichita to San Francisco soon.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 9, 2007 05:31

If anyone needs Philly tickets, please check out All Sold Out...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home