Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

K. Richards Bassman 59 amp
Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: December 4, 2007 08:02

Did Keith ever used a Fender Bassman 59 amp and when?

Re: K. Richards Bassman 59 amp
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 4, 2007 09:43

As the Stones virtually used every amp imaginable, I am sure they used one at a certain moment. I have never seen one on any pictures though. And, unless you want to play rockabilly, they aren't real good recording amps.

Mathijs

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: December 4, 2007 09:55

I've seen (studio) pictures of Keith with a '59 tweed Bassman when he was recording Main Offender.

This Sound On Sound article about Voodoo Lounge (with Don Was & Don Smith) also mentions a Bassman :

When recording most of the basic tracks, the whole band played together in the live area, positioned close together in a semi-circle with drummer Charlie Watts sitting in the middle. Keith Richards' guitars usually went through an AB box -- one of the amplifiers was a 1957 Fender Twin, miked with an SM57 on one speaker and an AKG 451 with a 10dB pad on the other speaker; the second amp would vary between an old Fender Bassman, a Fender Bandmaster, a small Marshall, an Ampeg B4 or a new Fender Vibro King.

"We always used the Twin, and then the other amp would be something that we would maybe turn up for very over-the-top distortion, or have real clean or whatever the song called for," explains Smith. "Sometimes we would have a mic on that cabinet and sometimes we'd use a Palmer speaker simulator."

Ronnie Wood, who played pedal steel and lap steel in addition to regular electric and acoustic guitars, also made use of the Vibro King and the Bassman. Darryl Jones' bass, on the other hand, usually went through an SVT or an Ampeg B15.

"We usually used a Palmer on the SVT," says Smith, "because to me, it sounds just as good as a speaker cabinet for the most part. It doesn't work on Twins, because the Fender Twin has a certain amount of speaker compression that goes along with the sound, but on things like Marshalls, the Palmer works excellently, especially with a bass. You can also turn it up and get some distortion out of the amp head without blowing away everybody in the room."

[www.soundonsound.com]

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 4, 2007 11:33

Didn't Stevie Ray Vaughan also use a Bassman?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 4, 2007 12:10

[www.bossus.com]

'59 bassman amp in a new Boss pedal.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: December 4, 2007 16:47

I've seen Brian Setzer use Fender Bassman, as well.

JR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home