Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Joe Strummer Documentary
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 27, 2007 04:44

Saw this last night. I have to recommend it to all Clash fans and to Stones fans as well. The boys get a nod from Strummer who said when he saw the Stones on tv this was when he figured out what he really wanted to do. He was digging on Keith covering a Chuck Berry number. Anyhow, I really enjoyed this film and was happy to have found it on cable via Comcast On Demand last night.

Re: Joe Strummer Documentary
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: November 27, 2007 07:46

i adore The Clash. I just noticed it's on PPV, thought it was stil in theatres. Can't wait to catch it.

Never saw the Clash live, but caught a Mescalero's show. I met Joe Strummer @ a Winos show at the Beacon during the Main Offender tour. I must have been 16, still have the signed ticket stub somewhere.

Date: November 27, 2007 22:12

This documentary was very well done and I can't recommend this film highly enough. Cool story about meeting Joe at a Winos show. He was a real rock and roller and is greatly missed.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: November 28, 2007 00:04

filstan, since I assume you're referring to the 'The Furure is Unwritten' by Julian Temple, there's an interview with Julian about this documentary in Record Collector #337.

Date: November 28, 2007 00:58

Yes that's the one. Thanks for the info Sohoe, and I will try and find the interview. Temple did a great job with this project.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: November 28, 2007 01:35

If you're unable to track down the interview, just let me know, and I'll see if I get access to a scanner and put it up here.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 28, 2007 01:44

Filstan

Is this available? It is a must view ...what a great band..London Calling is chilling...

Other great R and R movies:

Gimme Shelter
Ladies and Gents......
Stop making Sense (Talking Heads)

Date: November 28, 2007 05:50

More info at joestrummerthemovie.com

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: November 28, 2007 19:52

I get choked up every time Strummer is mentioned. One of the greatest losses to music of our time.

Besides the crucial impact and influence of his band and their amazing music, he was one of the truest souls to ever enter the business.

I saw him with The Mescaleros twice and once with the re-formed Clash.

Anyone I have met that had encountered him personally had only great things to say about what kind of person he was -- my high school friend met him after a Clash concert in the early 80s. He talked to her like a truly interested person, and shared half of his ham sandwich with her (and, no, she was not a sexy punky groupie, she was as 'preppy' as they came in those days!) as a catering bartender several years ago, we had a client from a law firm who lived in London for several years as an attorney over there. Joe Strummer was his neighbour, or, I should say, Joe's family were their neighbours. He said Joe was the most down to earth, nice, regular guy who loved to play with his dog and was always friendly, never pretentious or trying to hide. Not a 'rock star' by any means.

Joe and The Clash certainly spouted a lot of rhetoric and ideals, but their heart was always in the right place, they never forgot their fans, and Joe was truly conflicted by the economics of the business and how to justify playing high-paying stadium gigs with the 'punk' ethic he strived to spread.

He may have been the only middle-class/ambassador's son 'outlaw' in punk/rock n roll, but he earned his stripes and lived the life. And he always admitted his mistakes with humility. Watch "Westway To The World" and see how The Clash, as men, have aged gracefully, and the honesty they all bring to assessing their history.

Music could certainly use another Clash led by another Joe Strummer these days. But both are one in a million. I only wish I had the chance to meet him myself.

J

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home