Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Daniel Lanois' "For The Beauty of Wynona" CD
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 25, 2007 23:23

Having just listened to the Lanois-produced Dylan CD "Oh Mercy", I revisited Lanois' own "For The Beauty of Wynona". I love this CD. Some of you may be turned off by his trippy/echoey/otherworldly production techniques, but I like it.

Of course, if you're a U2 fan, you know how he shaped their sound in the 80s. I listened to a Mountain Stage radio performance of his band some years ago, and that's what prompted me to buy the 1993 "Wynona" CD.

The bass sound is very good. I particularly enjoy "The Unbreakable Chain", in which the bass is the lead instrument. I was also touched by the lyrical content.

OK, so my musical taste is undoubtedly eccentric, but if you don't have this CD in your collection, you might wanna give it a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-25 23:30 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT Daniel Lanois' "For The Beauty of Wynona" CD
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 25, 2007 23:27

I think The Messenger is a great song, and the guitar is just beautiful.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 26, 2007 15:13

Have you ever listened to his first release-- "Acadie" ? One of my all time favorites

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 26, 2007 15:55

Mine too.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 26, 2007 17:23

"Got a letter from a messenger. I read it when it came." I love the Lanois sound, too. For the Beauty Of Wynona was the 1st Lanois album that I got on the strength of his U2 productions, at about the time when it came out. Up to now, I've found quite a number of great Lanois and related productions in the same sound, like Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball album from the mid-90s, Snake Road by Bob Lanois, or Witness by Nathaniel Street-West, that hasn't got Lanois himself on it, but many of his key personnel, like bass player Darryl Johnson, engineer Mark Howard, percussionist Tony Mangurian and even Jim Keltner.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 26, 2007 17:43

I really like his production on Dylan´s Time Out Of Mind, but Bob himself wasn´t too pleased with it, he didn´t like the sound of his voice on that album.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 26, 2007 22:26

Acadie is an awesomely unique album indeed!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1364
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home