Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT. 2 N.Y. bands live
Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: November 22, 2007 22:13

Re: OT. 2 N.Y. bands live
Date: November 23, 2007 02:14

I used to think the false start was an act but now I noticed Joe Butler rushes a beat and Sabastion immediately jerks his head around and stops playing.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 23, 2007 03:58

thanks keithfan64: this is just too great. this is the home team boy...for a kid who grew up in brooklyn and manhattan. i had ALWAYS put the rascals, the spoonful and, in time, the west coast byrds) right up there as the top american rock acts, top rock acts anywhere...even during the great stones, kinks beatles effusion of excitement and great songs one after another...
i adore this stuff...the energy is so hot...
talk about a bar band driving people so crazy wit their heat and rhythm that they just expode onto the charts and top that...that's what happened...
thems the real deal and how...

the spoonful were more hard hitting than most people would think and your clip proves it...zal yanovsky on guitar playing those ringing chiming country licks on 'magic'...he's doin' 'country rock' before any of the west coasters, from nesmith to gram and beyond.... (and i think he's Canadian) tho it's definetly a new york city band...

i dont' know what the screwup at the beginning was all about...but it's great how zal screams "my fault" and points at himself, never loses his grin...starts to dance funky funky till the beat is in his soul and the band starts up again with plenty of intensity...
to see the rascals live circe 'people got to be free' , similar to your clip here...but a few years down the line...to see eddie's incredible kickass energy was just amazing...this is the best of the brit invasion, (time-wise) ny style and those are both incredibly great bands with incredibly well written and performed catalogs...love it...that's eternal man...

the drummers in both those bands...joe butler in the spoonful and the masterul dino danelli of the rascals, are also, imo, two of the best rock drummers ever in the entire history of the genre...those bands were so raw and stripped and they rocked so hard and so real...wham...amazing stuff....

the version of spoonful that joe is fronting and touring with now is kinda sad tho...

but you captured 2 ny bands live...and those are amongst my most favorite and hottest bands ever...and in many cases, when you consider the written material and catalogs, right up there with the most explosive of all the bands of that period imho. regardless of who or where from...and their stuff holds up...to this day and minute, it holds up...and is everywhere in the culture...but nothing like the live explosion of those guys...
thanks man...what a trip...
there used to be a lot more vintage rascals live stuff on youtube but it's gone now for some reason...this stuff is pure gold, sterling and exciting and wondrous and i so appreicate seeing the clips and the thread, ty.

Date: November 23, 2007 04:21

Glad you liked it BB. Rock and roll will never grow old!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home