Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Box Sets 63-70 and 71-80
Posted by: gkoz ()
Date: November 11, 2007 03:06

I have two box sets that I am trying to find out what they might be worth. The first is 1963 to 1970 and contains The Rolling Stones, The rolling Stones No 2, Out of Our Heads, Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Their Satanic Majesties Request, Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, Metamorphosis, Rolled Gold and an approx 190 page book by David Dalton titled The Rolling Stones The First Twenty Years.

The second set is 1971 to 1980 and contains Black and Blue, Sticky Fingers, Goat's Head Soup, Some Girls, It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Exile on Main Street and Emotional Rescue. It also has a complete listing of all releases in UK Australia and US including solo and unreleased tracks.

Can anyone give me an idea what these might be worth either separate or together?

Re: Box Sets 63-70 and 71-80
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 11, 2007 11:00

Don't know what they might be worth, they would appear to be unofficial as Metamorphosis and Rolled Gold were not sanctioned by the Rolling Stones at time of their original issue ,they gave sort of tacit approval for Metamorphsis, if I remember rightly Bill Wyman chose some tracks for it , Abkco af course had a different opinion on what should be released and went ahead with their selection regardless .
The second set is of course from a different label so would therefore be unlikely to be officially available as part of another set.
Forty Licks was as far as I am aware the first time a joint release of Abkco /Rolling Stones Records material (excluding live stuff) was issued.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: November 11, 2007 13:07

The first box set you mention is the 11 lp set issued by Decca RSBY-1 The First Twenty Years, if my memory doesnt fail me this one went on e-bay some time back for $1800 in near mint condition.The second box set is by Decca RSB-2 which was preceded by Decca RSB-1 a collection of singles on 6 LPs 1963-1970. This one was released in France with the words Rolling Stones in glitter. RSB-1 and RSB-2 can still be had around selected outlets for between $150-$250. The dollars Im quoting are Australian(aussie$ = 92c us) I have no idea what may be available outside of Australia, hope this is some help

Posted by: gkoz ()
Date: November 11, 2007 23:53

Thanks for the info, to my knowledge the first set was released in Australia and very quickly taken off the shelves again for reasons I was not aware of. Have never seen them again anywhere in Oz, is there somewhere on the box that I can find those codes to check that's what they are?

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 13, 2007 17:57

The first box set was released in Germany as well (bonus tracks include Memphis Tennessee and Roll over Beethoven) but I do not remember that Vol. 2 was ever released over here.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: November 13, 2007 18:52

adotulipson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't know what they might be worth, they would
> appear to be unofficial as Metamorphosis and
> Rolled Gold were not sanctioned by the Rolling
> Stones at time of their original issue ,they gave
> sort of tacit approval for Metamorphsis, if I
> remember rightly Bill Wyman chose some tracks for
> it , Abkco af course had a different opinion on
> what should be released and went ahead with their
> selection regardless .

Both of those albums would not need to be endorsed by the Stones as they did and do not have the rights to the music contained on either of them. "Rolled Gold" was a non-U.S. compilation similar to "Hot Rocks."

When Klein was putting together "Metamorphosis" there was some communication with Wyman as to what tracks might be good, that collection was also suggested to be called "The Black Box." But, as you say, ABKCO went ahead with their own ideas. Things between the two were VERY adversarial back then.

What _is_ odd is that the Dalton book is included in the first box set, as it has no relation to either of the labels.

The first may have been recalled quickly due to some issues regarding what ABKCO/Decca had the rights and control to distribute in Australia. But that's just my guess.

J

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home