Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

where/when were pre-MTV "videos" screened?
Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 9, 2007 20:08

This is a general question following up on the "worst stones video" thread. It's my understanding that before MTV, these weren't called videos--or even done on video, which may account for the change of terms--but "promo films." Another difference with MTV was that there now existed a 24-hour channel for showing these promo vids over and over again. Before that, did promos for acts like the stones only get shown very occasionally, on things like Old Grey Whistle Test and Don Kirshner? When would anyone have actually seen the great "Jumpin' Jack Flash" film? thanks.

Re: where/when were pre-MTV "videos" screened?
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 9, 2007 20:23

JJF could be seen on "Beat-Club" the german equivalent to the Old Grey Whistle Test.
They started out in 1965 and showed the Stones on the 2nd episode.
The Stones and the Beatles were never in the studio, but the the well know Monteux rehearsals were filmed exclusifly by Beat Club.

"Legenden
Die Beatles waren nie live in der Sendung, sondern nur als Film- bzw. Video-Zuspiel vertreten, ebenso wie die Rolling Stones, die Leckebusch aber einmal während eines Auftritts in Montreux exklusiv für den Beat-Club filmen konnte.

[www.radiobremen.de]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 9, 2007 20:27

Radio 1990
Night Flight
and a couple of movie theaters now and then would show em.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 9, 2007 20:37

in the US there weren't many shows where you'd regularly see promo videos -
Soul Train used to show some between the in-studio miming, and sometimes local shows would.
i first saw a piece of JJF in some report on Altamont - that didn't do much to help a kid argue that the Stones weren't evil :E

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 10, 2007 00:03

Remember being completely ambused by 3 vids Silver Train...Dancing...Angie
in amongst the toons..trailers etc before some main movie sometime just after the release of Goat....Pre-empted Attack...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 10, 2007 03:28

OGWT didnt start until 1971, and obviously the Stones were releasing promo clips prior to that. It also tended to focus on albums as opposed to singles, although they would play promo clips of singles as well.

Basically, bands like the Beatles and the Stones got too big and/or too busy to make personal appearances on Top of the Pops from around the mid 60's onwards, so they started filming promo clips which would be played in the studio instead. It was necessary as they were releasing 3-4 singles a year at times and as these tended to be chart toppers it meant they would probably be getting played if they were going up the charts and would DEFINITELY be played if they were #1.

Sometimes, TOTP or OGWT would show animated film to accompany the music if there wasnt a promo video. They did one like that for Tumbling Dice on OGWT. Some of Whistle Test's choices of animations during the 70's in the era before MTV when everyone started making promos) were quite something...you might often get bizarre B&W cartoons from the 30's or something like that.

Whilst I'd heard of Mick Jagger, The first time I EVER saw the Rolling Stones or heard any of their records was when I saw the promo clip of 'Angie' (it was the version where Mick's wearing the hat, not the 'flowers' one thats on Video Rewind). It was shown on an afternoon pop show on ITV around that time....it was either "Lift off" or a shortlived one called "45".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-10 03:31 by Gazza.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home