Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T The Blockheads,Municipal Theatre,Colne
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 9, 2007 16:29

Hello,

Saw these guys last night in the down-to-earth surroundings of 'The Muni',in Colne.That's sort of East Lancashire,near Blackburn and it's 100 holes,for the benefit of any shandy-drinkers.

Since Ian Dury popped his clogs in 2000 the band have occasionally recruited long-time fan and friend Phil Jupitus to do his best to fill Lord Upminster's shoes,mainly "...because he knows all the words"!

It came as no surprise how blinding a live band The Blockheads are-I'd seen them before-but Jupitus was a revelation as a front-man.For this date there was no support act so Jupitus told a few stories and gags for 15 or 20 minutes.Again he was a different animal from that which you may have seen on 'Buzzcocks' (or as he puts it,"...that shitty show I do..."),and is a funny,sorted presence on stage.Great stories about meeting Macca on a Monday,and Keith and Ronnie the day after!

Anyway,the songs run like a 'best-of',and they even played "New Boots and Panties" in it's entirety.How about...

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll
Reasons To Be Cheerful, Part 3
Wake Up And Make Love With Me
Sweet Gene Vincent
I'm Partial to Your Abracadabra
My Old Man
Billericay Dickie
Clevor Trever
Is I Was With a Woman
Blockheads
Plaistow Patricia
Blackmail Man
Jack Shit George
Inbetweenies
This Is What We Find
Lullaby for Francis
Mash It Up Harry
What A Waste
There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
@#$%& Ada

If you ever needed any proof that this world is out of kilter then consider this-last night while this bunch of musos were wowing around 300 punters in lovely Colne,about 25 miles away at The MEN Arena The Stereophonics were turning-out their aural guff to aroung 14000+.Surely this can't be how things should be?Apart from their live prowess,there is more depth and wit and humanity in one of The Blockhead's best songs than in The 'Phonics entire canon.
And to add insult,here are a couple that I took...

Almost forgot,The Blockheads bass player Mr. Norman Watt-Roy is as good as you'll ever,ever,ever see and hear-so fluid and full of expression.Should be knighted.In summary,go and see these chaps and enjoy them while they are around-absolute gold!

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-09 16:39 by SimonN.

Re: O/T The Blockheads,Municipal Theatre,Colne
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 9, 2007 16:45

pleased you enjoyed the show Simon

Stephen Fry guested with them at their
London shows last year, didn't he?

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 9, 2007 16:48

Hi Adrian,

Hope you are keeping well!

Yep,I believe you are right re the boy Fry.

If you are able to get to one of the shows,I'm giving you a 100%-money-back-if-not-entirely-delighted guarantee...they're fantastic!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 9, 2007 16:57

i'll try and convince a mate(s) to go with me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home