Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - History of Rock, from offstage...?
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 19, 2007 02:05

I was going to title this post How Old Are You, but that's not really what I'm looking for here. Let me explain... Walking out of the Springsteen concert Monday night, I passed the restaurant where I had dinner with 2 girlfriends the night we came into the Big City for our first-ever concert. Very exciting night - first underage, public beer too! And I started remembering some things about how concerts used to be. This concert was in March '75, and I seem to remember that in those days, the encores used to be a bit unscripted, unpredictable, and a real thrill. I seem to remember that audiences who really worked, really clapped, could get acts to come out more than once or twice, and sometimes the bands would be looking at each other as if to say "They really liked that - NOW what do we play?" Now everything is so programmed, with video and lighting, that there doesn't seem to be room for much spontaneity.

Does anyone else remember that?

And what else do you remember from early concert experiences? (Some of these memories may be... er... hazy!) Seems the members here could write the history of R&R from the other side of the stage...

STG

Re: OT - History of Rock, from offstage...?
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 19, 2007 02:15

My very first concert was Jimi Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl, I won the tickets on radio station KHJ, that started my concert going experience. Hendrix did not do an encore, but he announced the last song and after it was over he said "OK I'll do one more" and repeated it again, so, I guess it was like a 2 song encore even though he never left the stage. When I saw Cream a month later, after they finished their 9 song set, they stayed on stage (didn't do it the night prior) and jammed for about 5 minutes. By the time Led Zeppelin came around, encores were becoming regular. I know the Stones resisted this for a while.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 19, 2007 03:19

I remember being at my first show but not many details. Heck, I was only twelve at the time!

That show was Three Dog Night, backed up by Rod Stewart and The Faces at Atlanta Stadium in 1972. Ronnie Wood played my first show, so I think I started off pretty good!
Little did this twelve year-old realize he was watching a little bit of rock history.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 19, 2007 03:51

I seem to remember that audiences who really worked, really clapped, could get acts to come out more than once or twice, and sometimes the bands would be looking at each other as if to say "They really liked that - NOW what do we play?" Now everything is so programmed, with video and lighting, that there doesn't seem to be room for much spontaneity.

Yeah I remember those days. Now people just kind of stand around and wait for the band to come back. But then again with the internet nowadays,people usually know what the encore is going to be anyway.

But more importantly how was Bruce?...I'm going next week.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 19, 2007 05:21

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:

But more importantly how was Bruce?...I'm going next week.

Ahh, Nemesis! Bruce was grrrrreat! Very rockin' show, the band was great, 2 1/2 hours and a very cool setlist. Posted something after the concert but not a lot, was pretty tired. Search "Little Stephen" and you'll likely find it... and regret it! lol

Best part - picked up a really good seat 4 days before the show. Am starting to learn how to play this game... and THAT's something that's changed a lot since back-in-the-day when you had to find a "record store" to buy concert tickets, and everyone lined up around the block, or slept out in sleeping bags! Enjoy the show!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home