Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Andrew Loog Oldham
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 29, 2007 00:10

Does anyone know why Andrew Loog Oldham stopped managing the Stones in 67, did he stay friends or did they all fall out?

Re: Andrew Loog Oldham
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 29, 2007 00:11

they outgrew him. and he them. that are what happened.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 29, 2007 00:16

it wasn't a very amicable separation, no.
his two books are worth reading, if you're into the early history.

Date: September 29, 2007 00:17

Any idea what he's doing now? is he still involved in management?

Date: September 29, 2007 00:19

well, I have a Jimmy Cliff Live ablum from back in the 70's that says hes the producer. And a few years ago, during the 40 Licks tour he wrote a very nice peace about the stones in Mojo magazine. he had seen them on that tour.

Date: September 29, 2007 00:21

here's his website: [www.andrewloogoldham.com]

far as i know he isn't an active producer these days (which is what he was into, more than management).
i know he went on a little tour of showings of Charlie Is My Darling a couple of years ago -
some of the people on iorr attended that, i know - maybe they'll pipe up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-29 00:27 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 29, 2007 00:24

He has some local protégées.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 29, 2007 00:36

As far as I know, he's been living for quite a while in Bogota, Colombia.

Date: September 29, 2007 00:55

ah, so i was wrong - he has indeed been doing some producing lately.
from the bio on his website, which appears to be from 07:

From 1996 to 2002 he produced two volumes of acclaimed biography, Stoned and 2Stoned.
His third volume of biography and life-style, "On Hustling (How to survive in rock'n roll)",
will be published by Random House in 2008. In 2005 he produced Canadian artist Wyckham Porteous
with a recording to be released this summer on Cordova Bay Records . This past year
he was back in Buenos Aires producing the Argentinean legend Charly Garcia with a work, "Kill Gil",
that will be released on EMI in May. For the past three years Andrew has worked as a DJ
for the Steven Van Zandt Underground Garage channel on the Sirius satelite network.
Andrew has a dog named Gruff named after the singer with the Super Furry Animals
and lives with his family in Bogota, Colombia. He wishes you wellness.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 29, 2007 01:10

He was on H for a long time and says he quit coke in the late 90s. Very interesting. it's his orchestra version of the Last Time that the Verve used. Brian's riff...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 29, 2007 01:38

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"On
> Hustling (How to survive in rock'n roll)",
> will be published by Random House in 2008.

Oh no it won't (apparently)! I thought I had read recently somewhere that it had been scrapped. And so I had - although the title is different. So what's all that about?? Here's the source, anyway:

[news.independent.co.uk]

Loog Oldham decides to leave one stone unturned
By Henry Deedes
Published: 19 September 2007
Chronicling the life and (very wild times) of the Rolling Stones has become a crowded market these days, what with both Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood planning to release their memoirs.

The pair supposedly fell out recently when Wood announced he would beat his bandmate to the punch by releasing his book first next month.

Still, at least they won't have to worry about a third tome that threatens to dilute further the hype, which was due to be released by their colourful former manager Andrew Loog Oldham.

Oldham's memoir, Stone Free, was originally slated for a release some time later this year.

Now Oldham, who has written two well-received books, Stone and 2Stoned, on his former band, has, apparently, scrapped the book after falling out with his publishers, Random House.

"Unfortunately, the third book has now been abandoned," says a pal. "It was going to be about the nature of hype in the music business, but it seems he had some strong disagreements with Random House about it. At the end of the day, Andrew doesn't need to put himself out, as he's in big demand over in the US for lectures."

Oldham, who resides in Bogota, Colombia, has clearly managed to calm his temper in his old age. When he once had a disagreement with the Stones' record company, he claims to have threatened to have one its executives thrown into the Thames wearing a pair of concrete boots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-29 01:41 by Beast.

Date: September 29, 2007 01:49

thanks for the update, Beast my dear - have some popcorn.

too bad it's not coming out - i'd read a book about hype in the music business
by Andrew Loog Oldham. he does know a few things about it :E

Date: September 29, 2007 01:51

Thanks guys, I may get one of his books.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 29, 2007 02:42

The stuff about Ronnie and Keith having a falling out over their books is not true.

Ronnie's latest has been in the works for several years, and all the Stones were aware of the deal.

Keith has, in fact, not yet signed his book contract or met his NY publisher.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 29, 2007 11:04

Thanks Beast for this knowledge:
"Oldham's memoir, Stone Free, was originally slated for a release some time later this year." and all the other stuff... ! :O)

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: September 29, 2007 11:10

Hmmm...seems to recall that ALO, too, is in(to) Scientology these days??

Date: September 29, 2007 11:13

"Loog"....lol

I think I'll name my next pet "Loog"...

"Heeere Loogie Loogie, Heeeere Loogie Loogie!!"

Date: September 29, 2007 14:54

>> The stuff about Ronnie and Keith having a falling out over their books is not true. <<

right, of course - but thanks for pointing it out, stonesrule [passing popcorn]

>> I may get one of his books. <<

the first one was especially interesting to me - which surprised me, since about 70% of it
is about ALO's life before encountering the Stones, and i didn't expect to give a damn about that.
but the picture of late-50s/early-60s London and the music business at the time is fascinating,
and hugely educational about where the Stones come from and what they were up against.

2Stoned is harder to wade through: it jumps around the timeline a lot and makes a pretty chaotic impression -
which suits the story, i guess, but isn't too easy on the reader, especially the first time through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-29 15:09 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 29, 2007 15:07

He worked on some demos for a glasgow band V-TWIN who evolved into the 1990s a new indie band being touted as a new Franz Ferdinand ( who actually evolved from V-Twin as well. i got my copy of Charlie your My Darling from someone helping out on bass duties, who got it fro Loog himself.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: September 30, 2007 03:49

Yes now Andrew Oldham sittin' on a hill with Jack and Jill (Jack and Jill)
@#$%& all night and sucked all night and taste that pussy till it taste just right
Oh Andrew (yes Andrew) oh Andrew (yes Andrew)
Oh suck it Andrew (go on Andrew), @#$%& it Andrew (go on Andrew)
Oh Andrew Oldham (yeah) A guy who really know his way around
(down down down down)

Date: September 30, 2007 03:52

------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-30 04:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: thurrick ()
Date: September 30, 2007 14:30

Met ALO at the infamous Belfast showing of Charlie Is My Darling when alleged journo Paul McNamee kicked of the Q@A bout by asking him if Bob Dylan’s Don't Look
Back had influenced the Stones movie. What a feckin plonker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home