Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Get Your Ya's Ya's out - Deluxe!
Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: September 26, 2007 03:19

Anyone ever heard of the Allman Brothers 'Live at Fillmore East' arguably the finest 'live' album ever put out by any band. It was released around '72/'73 after 4 shows in '71.
Well, a few years ago, they released the 'Live at Fillmore East-Deluxe' which included the complete show plus a few other tracks from the same time period.

WHY CAN'T THE STONES DO THIS WITH 'GYYYO'?

Tom in NC

Re: Get Your Ya's Ya's out - Deluxe!
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 26, 2007 03:25

ABKCO ?

Posted by: moonchild57 ()
Date: September 26, 2007 03:35

I've got both of the Fillmore East CD's from the Bro's. For some reason, I like the original better. I know it's the same songs plus a few more on the re-master, but something about the first one. Maybe it takes me back to when I had the LP version, unfolding the album cover and using it to clean a certain green, leafy substance!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 26, 2007 04:30

I just received these DVD's in the mail today:

The DVD Project
Allman Brothers Band
Vol. 1 Back Where It All Began

---- Video Editing & DVD Authoring by Denza ----

Allman Brothers Band Vol. 1 DVD #1 Duane & Berry

Track 1. HOF Tribute (4:13)

Track 2. The Allman Brothers Band 9-23-70 Fillmore East - New York City, NY - 4 songs (34:04)
Chapter 01. Don't Keep Me Wondering
Chapter 02. Dreams*
Chapter 03. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
Chapter 04. Whipping Post
Chapter 05. **Whipping Post** (11:16)
* Greggs vocals are low during Dreams, PA problems at the Fillmore.
**Alternate Source for second Whipping Post.

Track 3. Allman Brothers Band Nov 2, 1972 Hofstra University - Hempstead, New York
Portions appeared on ABC-TV's 2nd In Concert show ABB's first TV appearance in 1972 (Berry's last public performance)
Chapter 01 - Ramblin' Man (05:51)
Chapter 02 - Whipping Post (11:19)

Track 4. 1976 "Southern Voices, American Dream" Documentary by Ken Hey (excerpt) (13:34)
Interviews with Gregg, Dickey, Jimmy Hall, Phil Walden, and Paul Hornsby. w/ Duane footage from Love Valley.
Duane! Berry! Dickey!@ 6:39 the incredible scene of Duane playing with that open sky background behind him and oh, that light shining on him (8:28)...to the ending shot of Duane & Gregg @ 10:00. Nice little B&W tribute to Duane with Little Martha playing leading to the shot of his headstone.

Track 5. Duane clips:

1. 7/19/70 Love Valley clips
Dreams 2:37
Dreams B&W 5:27
Mountain Jam 1:17

2. Central Park 1970 clips
Liz Reed (end) 0:54
Done Somebody Wrong 2:47
Hot 'Lanta 0:22

Track 6. Statesboro Blues from the Dreams promo Video (4:08)

Track 7. Closing Slideshow (I created this using the Ken Burns effect & MJ 3/13/71 MJ audio)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The DVD Project
Allman Brothers Band
Vol. 1 Back Where It All Began

Allman Brothers Band Vol. 1 DVD #2 Saturday Night in Macon

The complete "Saturday Night in Macon" (1:07:22) 9/10/1973
Grand Opera House, Macon, Georgia (Pro-shot, TV - Don Kirschner's Rock Concert)
Audio restoration by Bob Bartelma
Track 1 - Wet Willie - 16:13;21 - (00:00:00;00 to 00:16:13;21) - credit/intro
Chapter 01 - Saturday Night in Macon intro (00:00:00;00 to 00:01:33;00)
Chapter 02 - That's All Right (00:01:33;00 to 00:07:43;04)
Chapter 03 - Grits Ain't Groceries (00:07:43;04 to 00:12:41;15)
Chapter 04 - Country Side Of Life (00:12:41;15 to 00:16:13;21)

Track 2 - Marshall Tucker Band - 25:33;25 - (00:16:13;21 to 41:47;14)
Chapter 01 - Take The Highway (00:16:13;21 to 00:24:03;19)
Chapter 02 - Can't You See (00:24:03;19 to 00:30:17;01)
Chapter 03 - Ramblin'On My Mind (00:30:17;01 to 00:41:47;14)

Track 3 - The Allman Brothers Band - 25:34;18 - (00:41:47;14 to 01:07:22;04)
Chapter 01 - intro by Bill Graham (00:41:47;14 to 00:42:53;04)
Chapter 02 - Done Somebody Wrong (00:42:53;04 to 00:46:53;07)
Chapter 03 - Southbound (00:46:53;07 to 00:52:39;17)
Chapter 04 - Midnight Rider (00:52:39;17 to 00:56:14;22)
Chapter 05 - Ain't Wastin' Time (00:56:14;22 to 01:00:14;28)
Chapter 06 - Statesboro Blues (01:00:14;28 to 01:04:46;06)
Chapter 07 - Outro (01:04:46;06 to 01:07:22;04)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 26, 2007 05:00

Whoa, Bingo, how can I get a copy of 'Saturday Night In Macon'?

Hell, it's worth it just for "Grits Ain't Groceries" and "Take The Highway" before the Allman's even play.

BTW, my first concert ever was Wet Willie and the Allmans in Macon in 1975. My first encounter with Chuck L. Dickie Betts was on fire this night.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-26 05:02 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 26, 2007 05:02

Email me your addy. smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 26, 2007 05:03

sbking@wildblue.net

Thanks, you da man!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: September 26, 2007 16:21

The ABB has a site called 'Hitting the Note" and they offer 5 pre '73 shows.
Several include Duane.
SUNY at StoneyBrook is the best.
Also there is Macon,GA, Boston MA and Nassua Coliseum,NY

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 26, 2007 16:28

I can't stand the 'Delux" CD's you get now. Leave the original album as the artist intended and shove the extras on another CD.

Live at Leeds by The Who is ruined cause of this

Hot Pants by James Brown is the same. If the artist wanted B-sides and outtakes on the end of the album they'd have put them there.

And Live at the Filmore West is one long guitar solo and extremely tedious....

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 26, 2007 16:43

The central question is always going to be: Did Mick record vocal overdubs on the unreleased tracks in 1970 or didn't he? If not, then any expanded version is going to have some tracks with studio-perfect vocals and some tracks with vocals that sound exactly the way they sounded when he sang them. The difference would be too noticeable. And it's too late to do the overdubs now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-26 16:57 by tatters.

Date: September 26, 2007 17:00

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't stand the 'Delux" CD's you get now. Leave
> the original album as the artist intended and
> shove the extras on another CD.
>
> Live at Leeds by The Who is ruined cause of this
>
> Hot Pants by James Brown is the same. If the
> artist wanted B-sides and outtakes on the end of
> the album they'd have put them there.
>
> And Live at the Filmore West is one long guitar
> solo and extremely tedious....

My favourite version of Live At Leeds is still the original 6-song LP. Sometimes less IS more. That album's power is greatly diminished by hearing it in expanded versions.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 26, 2007 17:19

Yeah, both re-issues took something away from the original power of the Original Who LP. The record was ground breaking at the time and that element is now lost.

Hot Pants by James Brown is a classic vinyl LP. On cd its flat and has several mono outakes at the end and ruins the feel of the original.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 26, 2007 18:48

There's a thousand stupid reasons not to release any new live material from the golden era -just forget it ,it won't happend.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 26, 2007 20:39

Deluxe Editions are made by Universal Music. The old Stones stuff is not on Universal. So much to the DELUXE idea.
If you watch who releases such expanded, deluxe, etc editions. Mainly it´s bands wich doesn´t exist now, or have not really something new out or are playing only their oldies shows. I don´t say All of them but the most. The stones are still at work, so there is no time and no need to do this. On the other hand, as it was said here, it´s a little bit of destroying the magic of the old album.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 26, 2007 21:22

The did the same with Blind Faith. The original is better.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 26, 2007 21:33

WHAT??? I don't get this!! The new live at leeds is far superior (disk one that is) that the old LP, I think you guys are just caught up in the nostagia thing.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 26, 2007 23:23

ablett Wrote:
> I can't stand the 'Delux" CD's you get now. Leave
> the original album as the artist intended and
> shove the extras on another CD.
>
> Live at Leeds by The Who is ruined cause of this
>

I agree, leave the original releases as they were at the time, which is the way they were intended to be. I hate it when classic recordings are watered down by the inclusion of a bunch of mediocre out takes that could have easily been put on a separate disc.

"It wasn't my fault ... liquors drunkened me!" Homer Simpson

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: September 27, 2007 09:49

I think you are wrong. Stones old stuff is Decca / Universal. I think that it is better to release a Deluxe version separately instead of replacing the original. Aretha Franklins double live album "Amazing Grace" from 1972 is available in it's original version, with overdubs, and the version without the overdubs and the two complete concerts are release as the complete Amazing Grace recordings.
Mats

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 27, 2007 09:57

Crazy! Live at Leeds Delux is amazing. As is Who's Next with a live disc of material from Life House.
The Who actually went back and did a few overdubs for Live at Leeds Delux, but also retored a lot of the original performance. For instance the backwards tape loop on Magic Bus is removed because they never did that in concert, that was a studio trick. Also they added almost the entire concert! If you want the original you can have it, but man for fans who are into more, it is a great release. Just the live versions of Im A Boy, Tattoo, and A Quick One are worth the price of the CD!

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: September 27, 2007 13:29

I love deluxe edition and i have all who's deluxe albums. But my personal favourite is Bluesbrakers with Eric Clapton. Anyway i can agree with ablett about leaving original LP on one cd and outtakes on second. But - if the album is about 45 min long there's a 30 min space left on cd . So there's 30 min new music and it's cool. The second cd is usually a concert which is about 70 min. So ther's no place to put outtakes or b sides there. I like to buy deluxes because of artwork and outtakes. I hope Stones will relese someday some Deluxe Editions. even since sticky to steel wheels would be great. There is so many outtakes, great songs like drift away or leather jacket, b sides - through the lonely nights etc. Some great shows like leeds 71, El macombo 77. It would be very cool and probably most of us would buy these new records. I don't know why Stones haven't released any Box of ottakes, enocere series or bonus cd's yet. I hope rarities cd was just a beginning. I hope for more the who deluxes too - quadrophenia , sell out. a quick one, numbers, who are you

Posted by: sherer1 ()
Date: September 27, 2007 14:13

how can anyone not like the Live at Leeds Deluxe version ?

it's not even like they added outtakes or anything they just put the whole concert up there. if they added in stuff from other shows or thigns then sure you can say it's no good but to go from 6 songs to the complete show, what's wrong with that ?

it's like going to the show and after 6 songs they walk off the stage !!

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: September 27, 2007 14:43

I think the orginal concept for the "Deluxe Editions" has been watered down a fair bit by releasing just too many of them.

I assume originally it was intended for real "classics" only. These can be continued in two editions - the original release and the new, "complete" one. Havings two editions, means you can have them both and treasure each edition for its own qualities.

"Live at Leeds" would be a good example for this: The original version has the punch and the creative editing to it, and the Deluxe is just like a treasure trove, offering many, many simply delicous tracks from the cutting room floor and putting the whole album into perspective. I wouldn't want to miss eather of those editions.
(sadly, the old one isn't available anymore. But we ,the real fans, already have it).

Conclusion: If you have a classic record, BOTH versions will appeal. Ya Yas is a classic. Don't tell me, any of us wouldn't get the Deluxe as soon as we can...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-27 15:45 by Greenblues.

Date: September 27, 2007 16:27

BluzDude Wrote:
> WHAT??? I don't get this!! The new live at leeds
> is far superior (disk one that is) that the old
> LP, I think you guys are just caught up in the
> nostagia thing.

In this case I don't think so. I was really excited in 1995 when I heard the Who would be releasing the first expanded edition of Live At Leeds, the single-disc, 14-track CD, but when I heard it, I was both amazed and disappointed to discover that of the additional 8 tracks, only Amazing Journey/Sparks was strong enough to have made it onto the original LP. In fact, I think it would have been a cool move on their part if they had issued a CD containing just the original album, with Amazing Journey/Sparks as a bonus track. The ONLY bonus track.

Date: September 27, 2007 16:49

More thoughts on this-

A 'deluxe' GYYYO should have the Ike & Tina set included. I'd pay just for that!
Then the additional Stones tracks
Under My Thumb
I'm Free
Satisfaction
Gimme Shelter
and a complete 'Sympathy' with the 4th verse.

Now tell me you wouldn't buy it?

Tom in NC

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: September 27, 2007 16:50

I want it!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home