Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitar questions for Mathijs, open-g, and other players
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 16, 2007 19:56

The London shows have motivated me to finally get a "better" guitar than the Danelectro I've been toying arund with for years. I need to get something light (no Les Pauls) and one can that sound good playing blues, jazz, and straight away rock n' roll (emphasis on the rollsmiling smiley

The other day I saw a lower-priced PRS line and found the hollow body to fit very comfortably and, while I only played it unplugged for about two minutes, liked it very much.

My questions - what is your take on PRS guitars? Also, while I realize I will never be Keith or Ron or MT for that matter, being such a big fan makes me question getting something they've never been known to play...unless I am wrong in this thinking.

Your takes please...and thank you...

Re: Guitar questions for Mathijs, open-g, and other players
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 16, 2007 20:50

>>he other day I saw a lower-priced PRS line and found the hollow body to fit very comfortably and, while I only played it unplugged for about two minutes, liked it very much.<<

Thats the best way to do - see if it talks to you.
Go back to the shop and play it over an amp, similar to yours.
If you still really like it, don't buy it yet, but ask the salesman to keep it back a few days.
if feel good about it - take her home winking smiley

I can't say much about Paul Reed Smith guitars, haven't played one.
I'm more the Telecaster man - so I'm a bit biased winking smiley

have you ever thought about a Telecaster Thinline?

Date: September 16, 2007 21:47

open-g, thnaks and yes, I have thought about the thin line. But it seems that every time I put on a telecatser the fit isn't right. (It's especially frustrating because I love the sound...from keith to Muddy Waters). I never play sitting down or standing still...I'm always moving around and it seems bulky. That said, the manager of the shop said the shop owner would make a custom telecaster or strat for me based on what would be comfortable, the sounds I wanted for the types of music I like to play, etc.

In terms of price, the PRS would costs about $600 US and the customs would be $1,000-1,500 US.

In the next few days I'll do back and try the PRS with amp...

Thanks again...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 16, 2007 21:53

I really like Teles also. Lighter than Les Pauls too. With a humbucker in your neck position, you can get a "Keef" crunch (Sugar, Start, etc.). Also, you can get a decent Les Paul type sound (Taylor-type leads).

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-16 21:53 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Gleb ()
Date: September 16, 2007 23:37

hey guys i have a question for you all
which type of gibson paf should i get for that keef sound? 57 reissue? thanks

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 16, 2007 23:51

...What they said...
But regarding your Danelectro, Don't get rid of it, it makes a great guitar to play or practice slide (in an open-g or open-d even, actually, any open chord). Just make sure you use slightly heavier gage strings than you normally use. My Danelectro is not good for recording because of a constant buz that transcends to my recorder. I'm sure I can fix it, but I haven't found the right tech yet, and it might cost more than the guitar itself. I will occasionally use it in a live performance.

Date: September 17, 2007 07:11

BluzDude,

For the most part I've been using it for slide and will keep it for that. Open E - great for Prodigal Son...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home