Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Led Zeppelin back...........................
Posted by: lynn1 ()
Date: September 9, 2007 01:51

Re: Led Zeppelin back...........................
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 9, 2007 07:47

Man Satan must be putting on a coat, cause its getting cold in hell. First Floyd in 2005, and now Zeppelin (who to be honest I dont really care about).

Date: September 9, 2007 08:07

...and don't forget Satan's touts/scalpers... the ticket price for a one show only deal will be astronomical...

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 9, 2007 09:01

I can believe there's going to be a one off concert, there's a story in Billboard about a press conference next week: [www.billboard.com]

There have been one-off concerts before - Live Aid in 1985, Atlantic Record celebration in '88 and Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame in 1995. But I still think there's no way they're going to tour.

"It wasn't my fault ... liquors drunkened me!" Homer Simpson

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 9, 2007 10:02

Yay (sarcasm.) And that's coming from someone who loves Zeppelin as much as the Stones (well...maybe not quite as much, but close.) I mean, they've done one-off "reunions" before (and every time Robert Plant seems to be performing under duress.) so this one isn't a big deal, far as I'm concerned. Now, a full on tour, that'd be different, but I seriously doubt it would be the Second Coming most fans would be expecting. Instead the "Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour" would be the biggest anticlimax in Rock and Roll history. It'd probably break all the records, etc, but one, Page and Plant are both shadows of their former selves, musically speaking. Two, it ain't LED ZEPPELIN without John Bonham (his offspring on drums or not)- that's why they packed it in in the first place, remember. I mean, Townshend and Daltrey making records and touring together isn't The Who, as far as I'm concerned; I consider that a travesty, like if Macca and Ringo went on tour and called it The Beatles.

I'm reminded of a quote from Robbie Robertson, regarding a full-on Band reunion (early 80's when they were all still alive): "We made a film and three record set about calling it a day...to turn around and say, 'Just kidding!'...that'd be my idea of terrible."

Led Zeppelin disbanded in 1980. And it should stay that way.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 9, 2007 13:02

Jesus Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it ain't LED ZEPPELIN without John Bonham (his offspring on
> drums or not)- that's why they packed it in in the
> first place,
> Led Zeppelin disbanded in 1980. And it should stay
> that way.

For me it is Led Zeppelin. I had the tickets in my hand when the last tour cancelled. To this day that thought brings me heartache. I never was able to see them. 3 out of 4 members works for me especially if the lone missing member is a drummer. Which is not to diminish the contributions Bonham made to the music. Just something I can get over.

As far as Page being less of a musician, I would have to see and hear that during a recent Zeppelin show to make that statement. Anyways the disbanding of the band was not unanimous from what I heard, it was mainly Plant's decision that everyone else had no choice but to abide by since he was the singer.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 9, 2007 13:26

So the Stones are not the Stones without Brian, or Mick T or Bill???

Seen Plant a couple of times latetly and both tours of Page/Plant and they were just fantastic.

Of course the reunuion has its pros and cons but please don't stop on my count. Go ahead and reunite, I'll be there.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 9, 2007 17:58

leteyer Wrote:
> So the Stones are not the Stones without Brian, or
> Mick T or Bill???

Led Zep lost their Charlie.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 9, 2007 18:07

Yes, no Bonzo, but his son plays a lot like him. Now Jason is in his 40's (I think?)... my guess is he'll be smart and play a similar style simple kit with a large bass drum, etc... although I can't imagine touring w/ Foreigner has done him much good. They were awful. But he's the only guy who could really cut it, I think, as long as the equipment and sound is right. Perhaps I'm being overoptimistic??? Nah!!!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 9, 2007 22:25

So where is John Paul Jones in all of this? Has anyone seen him out anywhere lately? The most vocal one on the band has not said much so far, at least that I'm aware of.

IMO, John Paul Jones was more of a backbone for the band than Bonham. In fact I don't think he got the credit he really deserved. A very underrated musician.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 9, 2007 22:44

L.Z. were more than the sum of their parts. all great in their own right but together WOW !

I wonder what would have happened if first choice vocalist (and great guitar player) terry reid had taken the slot ? No Plant of course would have meant no Bonham. a likley canditate for the stool would have been Clem Cattini. Clem and Jones were the hottest session rythem section in town at the time.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 10, 2007 04:27

The Sicilian Wrote:
> So where is John Paul Jones in all of this? Has
> anyone seen him out anywhere lately? The most
> vocal one on the band has not said much so far, at
> least that I'm aware of.
>
> IMO, John Paul Jones was more of a backbone for
> the band than Bonham. In fact I don't think he
> got the credit he really deserved. A very
> underrated musician.

John Paul Jones will be performing several shows with Robyn Hitchcock:

• July 30 (Modigliani,. Itally)
• August 1 (Bari, Italy)
• August 4 (Halden, Norway) Down on the Farm festival
• September 14 (Dorset, England) End of the Road Festival

Bonnaroo Festival "SuperJam" featuring John Paul Jones, Ben Harper,
and Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson

[6.06.07] Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival will feature an all-star SuperJam, starting at midnight on Friday, June 15, 2007. Former Led Zeppelin bass player JOHN PAUL JONES will anchor a trio featuring one of music's most innovative modern bluesmen, guitar wizard BEN HARPER, and Roots drummer AHMIR "QUESTLOVE" THOMPSON. The SuperJam is one of the most highly anticipated features of the festival, combining the talents of a diverse set of musicians for a one-time-only collaborative performance.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 10, 2007 04:33

The Horror.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 10, 2007 09:45

Well re Page, I was underwhelmed with Coverdale/Page, which like The Firm seemed more like a business arrangement. And Walking Into Clarksdale (Page/Plant) really seemed like a shadow of Page, especially since he didn't produce or shape the sound. Plant has imo continued to make interesting records (especially the last couple)

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 10, 2007 10:29

Anyone heard Pages (abandonded) soundtrack to Kenneths Angers "lucifer Rising" ? WEIRD STUFF. the one it was ditched for is even weirder , with its manson connections etc.

Posted by: Barrence W ()
Date: September 10, 2007 11:58

Press Conference is this coming Wednesday

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 10, 2007 16:08

Maybe this article can clear things up?

www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/09/04/led-zeppelin-reunion-tix-on-sale-in-london-prank-lie-or-ticket-goof-part-three/

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 10, 2007 21:41

Yes Anger's Lucifer Rising is a terrific film w/ Stones connections. Marianne stars w/ Donald Cammell, and it 'Presented by Anita Pallenberg' was originally in the opening credits, but not on the video - and Page's music was tres cool. As was Mick's even creepier track to Anger's even creepier 'Invocation Of My Demon Brother"

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 10, 2007 22:16

I'd be first in line if they toured again. Three out of four original members qualifies as Led Zeppelin as far as I'm concerned. And Bonham's not the same as losing Charlie (God forbid). Zep was only around for what, a decade+? They could weather a personnel change on the kit just fine. They really should do it. They would, incidentally, attract a much younger crowd than one would think. It wouldn't just be all us old timers....

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: September 10, 2007 22:25

loog droog Wrote:
>
> Led Zep lost their Charlie.

Great comment!!!

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: September 11, 2007 00:49

According to Wikipedia, Jason Bonham is 41 and has a son named Jagger. Imagine that.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 11, 2007 13:51

press conference scheduled for 16.00 hrs (BST)
wednesday 12th (tomorrow)

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: Barrence W ()
Date: September 11, 2007 16:12

Dave Grohl is set to make a guest appearance on drums. Jason Bonham will play the bulf of the set.

Posted by: gerrox ()
Date: September 11, 2007 16:23

i'm jittery all ready. had put off any recognition this would actually happen til now. those tickets prices goin to be just unfair! and to actually git one...well well well.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 11, 2007 16:29

i can't believe this is really happening after everything thats been said over the years

i thought Plant knew better

Date: September 11, 2007 16:34

yeh Plant seemed even dismissive of Zep in any recent interviews, focussed on his new stuff of course but i'm guessin things are kinda cold between Page and himself. Still if i could manage to be there i sure would.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 11, 2007 16:36

I totally love this news. Plant is undoubtedly the MAN.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 11, 2007 16:42

I would love it even more if they do more than one show.

Date: September 11, 2007 16:47

even if it is just one they should cop the demand will be massive and maybe the new wembley stadium would suit better, it has a roof no? should be better sound than the o2 which imo is pretty dire.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 11, 2007 17:02

gerrox Wrote:
> even if it is just one they should cop the demand
> will be massive and maybe the new wembley stadium
> would suit better, it has a roof no? should be
> better sound than the o2 which imo is pretty dire.

I think it is a moving roof, but not the kind of roof you can close completely.
A stadium show on Nov. 25 is pretty risky on a climatic matter

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1445
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home