Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Wood phone call 1969...
Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: August 17, 2007 20:41

found some articals on the Net saying Ronnie was actually 1st choice and a "phonecall mix-up" or misunderstanding resulted in him not joining the band there and then?..resulting in the stones hiring MT..
Does anyone know the truth on this one?..

Dog

Re: Ronnie Wood phone call 1969...
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 17, 2007 20:47

Well I remember Ronnie saying he was at Hyde park for Taylor's first show and talking to Jagger before hand, saying something like he knew one day he'd be in the band. There is a recorded interview about this I think on 25x5. Ronnie and Taylor knew eachother before the Stones and worked together. Like to hear any of stories people know of

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 17, 2007 21:42

The story is that someone (Stu?) called to ask about Woody. Ronnie Lane told them that Woody was happy where he was in the Faces.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 17, 2007 21:54

Ronnie once said in an interview:

"It was at Hyde Park, when Brian died.
They got out of the car and said: "We see you soon, Ron!".
And I said: "Yeah, sooner than you think!" smiling smiley

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: August 17, 2007 21:58

I'd also read that Jagger suposedly called Woody direct to ask him to join but Woody thought it was a prank call and made an excuse to hang up...

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: August 17, 2007 22:06

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The story is that someone (Stu?) called to ask
> about Woody. Ronnie Lane told them that Woody was
> happy where he was in the Faces.

This is how I recall the story going as well. Guitar World published a RS issue late last year which had a number of re-printed interviews (mostly Keith). In Ronnie's, he basically said the same thing that Elmo mentions.

If true, I think it's a pretty sh!tty move on R Lane's part. However, I am glad that the Taylor era existed.

They should have done a Quantum Leap episode surrounding this with Scott Bacula playing the role of Ronnie Lane taking the phone call and forever changing history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-17 22:11 by WMiller.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 17, 2007 22:09

I think it is the story like H.Dog told it.

Ian Steward called the Faces in the studio and asked for Ronnie. He got Ronnie Lane instead of Wood. And Lane said Wood would have no interest in joining the Stones. Wood didn't know about the call at that time. (That's like the story goes . .)

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: August 17, 2007 22:13

CousinC Wrote:
> I think it is the story like H.Dog told it.
>
> Ian Steward called the Faces in the studio and
> asked for Ronnie. He got Ronnie Lane instead of
> Wood. And Lane said Wood would have no interest in
> joining the Stones. Wood didn't know about the
> call at that time. (That's like the story goes .
> .)

You mean how Elmo told it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 17, 2007 22:21

I am an old hound dog though! Georgia dawg, too.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 17, 2007 22:44

Its a great story and I've watched Ronnie tell it in "25 x 5" but I don't believe it any more than I believe Muddy Waters was painting the ceiling at 2120 S. Michigan Avenue when The Stones first arrived. If it had been 1972, I could understand Ronnie being considered for the gig, but there was no way a guy principally thought of as a bass player at the time was considered to replace Brian Jones in 1969. I'm not even aware of Ronnie being part of the band's social circle until Mick and Bianca's wedding. Ry Cooder, Dave Mason, and Jesse Ed Davis I can believe. I'm sure Ronnie will recycle the story in his forthcoming autobiography.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 17, 2007 22:49

That is it.. needed my memory refreshed. And yes all these stories sort of become tales. I mean what is Ronnie supposed to say... yes of coarse he'll say I was destined to be with the Stones. I love Ronnie and Taylor but glad things happened the way they did, otherwise we'd miss all that great Faces music.

And Ronnie was always a guitar player. Yes he played bass, but even in the Beck group he played the bass as if it were a guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-17 22:49 by Hound Dog.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 17, 2007 23:15

wow, just imagine those taylor tours with woody instead, interseting to say the least

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 17, 2007 23:31

When Ronnie got the telephone call, he was on the other line telling Terry Reid not to join Jimmy Page's new group . . . . .

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: August 18, 2007 01:06

Rocky Dijon Wrote:
> Its a great story and I've watched Ronnie tell it
> in "25 x 5" but I don't believe it any more than I
> believe Muddy Waters was painting the ceiling at
> 2120 S. Michigan Avenue when The Stones first
> arrived.

That's kind of the way I feel about it. I don't really believe that story. I'm sure some of these people involved at least half-way believe these stories. I think Keith believes that story about Muddy painting the ceiling, but the memory can do strange things ya know.

My dad likes to tell a story about my high school football days. In one of the biggest games that we ever played in (Divisional playoffs against our most hated nemesis that we hadn't beaten in 11 years), he claims I "won the game" by making a couple of crucial catches with the game on the line. The truth is that I caught two passes on back to back downs for a first down. This happened on the last drive of the FIRST HALF!! While I did get a first down and kept the drive alive, I would hardly say that that made the difference in the entire game. But in my dad's memory.......

Anyway, my point is that sometimes the truth is subject to the individual telling the story. The part about Ronnie Lane telling Stu or Jagger or whoever that Ron Wood was happy with the Faces and then never telling Woody about the phone call is a great story, makes for an interesting "what if" in the legend of the Rolling Stones, but I'm doubtful that it ever happened.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 18, 2007 02:32

I have always thought it was BS although Ronnie tells it to interviewers. Although I remember him qualifying it saying that if he had joined at that time he would undoubtedly have become a junkie.

Instead he was just a major booze-hound in The Faces. ...Had Me A Real Good Time!

I'm tired, I'm tired of doing what I'm told.
Things are moving way too slow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home