Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
When it's all over, will the vaults be opened?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 10, 2007 16:00

So much unreleased stuff and so many shows (CD and DVD or whatever's next). Who'll oversee this - Jagger? Richards? Was? Klein? Cohl? Lukester?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: When it's all over, will the vaults be opened?
Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 10, 2007 16:05

I vote for you, Elmo.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 10, 2007 16:17

You have to remember that the stones do release stuff from the vault occasionally even though they haven't stopped yet.

Rock n roll circus is an obvious example. Rarities is another example of releasing old stuff from the vaults, albeit very limited and not what we had hoped for. We've had re-releases of Gimme Shelter and Stones in the Park too, although they are obvious ones to release as they were previously available on VHS.

So when the stones have finished touring and decide to hang up their boots either permanently or just for a long period of rest, I can see no reason why they wouldn't open up the vaults.

However, they won't suddenly release every concert from the 60s and 70s all at once. Maybe we will get a 3 or 4 dvd box set with one "show" each from some of the main tours - perhaps 73 / 75 / 78 would be the sort of thing we could hope for with some rare footage etc. If we're lucky that is.

Even more likely is an official release of L&G and CSB on dvd. CSB is still occasionally shown in cinemas and I wonder whether they would be open to releasing that one.

Date: July 10, 2007 16:21

Thanks, pay, but it's gonna cost 'em.

Good points, 12. I'd also like to see 25 x 5 and Video Rewind on DVD.

I don't expect every note (ala Jimi) to be released, but think there's ton of good stuff in there.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: July 10, 2007 16:33

video rewind was a good one. I'd love to see it come back. If they released everything, there would be a bunch of crap too.

What I'd really love to see released is alternate takes on Stones song. Maybe Keith vocals on a Jagger song, like they did with Gimme Shelter.

I'd also rather see studio work released than live. The live shows are pretty well covered by the bootleg market. The only live show I'd love to hear is one with Brian. No overdubs, the real thing.

Date: July 10, 2007 17:13

Yeah, I'm more interested in the studio stuff, too. I love live boots - but don't really think I want or need all of 'em. Really just the shows I've went to and the best other ones (Brussels, Perth, etc.).

pay, based on your comments, you might want to get Honolulu 1966 and Keith's Voodoo Lounge. One of the Time Trips series has both Keith singing "Gimme Shelter" and Mick singing "You Got The Silver".

* Just for information purposes as you might already have all of this.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: July 10, 2007 17:29

Hey Elmo, I have the 02 and 06 Atlanta shows on cd. If you need copies, let me know.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 10, 2007 17:36

Hmm, the vaults ARE OPEN, just not officially! There's so much stuff out there in good to great quality that I don't expect major surprises by "official" ventures into the vaults. Then again, there is the "tip of the iceberg" theory which means that the material we know from unofficial sources is just a (small?) portion of the stuff that's in the vaults. In fact, from time to time great stuff pops up out of virtually nowhere that's simply stunning (For Your Precious Love, Key To The Highway and the like).

As much as I'd like to see (and hear!) the vault material in "official" quality, mastered from the best available sources, I must say that if they don't start to release vault material in the coming years I doubt that I will be all too excited when I'm 70 or 80.....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-10 17:39 by retired_dog.

Date: July 10, 2007 17:44

I got 'em, pay. Thanks!

Interesting commentary by ohno (and drake) on the 2006 recordings!

Some girls winking smiley are trying to hit on drake during "Worried About You". He says "I'm recording". She says "Yeah, right".

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 10, 2007 17:57

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So much unreleased stuff and so many shows (CD and
> DVD or whatever's next). Who'll oversee this -
> Jagger? Richards? Was? Klein? Cohl? Lukester?

The Stones, once they manage to sort out their issues with ABCKO.

Cant see how Cohl would/could/should have any input into it.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 10, 2007 18:14

"You have to remember that the stones do release stuff from the vault occasionally even though they haven't stopped yet.

Rock n roll circus is an obvious example. Rarities is another example of releasing old stuff from the vaults, albeit very limited and not what we had hoped for. We've had re-releases of Gimme Shelter and Stones in the Park too, although they are obvious ones to release as they were previously available on VHS."

None of these releases really had much to do with the Stones besides Rarities and even that they seemed to have little to do with. R&R Circus is something from their past record company and the Park is not something officially released by the Stones. Gimme Shelter has been out for years and was just remastered by another label. Stuff the Stones have released like the Voodoo dvd is long out of print. I really can't think of any examples of the Stones opening their vaults besides the half-assed release of Rarities.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 10, 2007 18:29

Half assed is a great description of rarities.

The point I was making though is that I don't think that the stones are necessarily "anti" releasing stuff from the vault. I think that they are reluctant to do it whilst they are outputting new stuff though, for obvious reasons.

I would be very happy to see an official release from the early 70s live. Let's face it, it can only add to their legacy. If it means that new fans get to hear that stuff and it turns them on to the stones then I'm all for it. Same with DVDs, although to a lesser extent.

The question of releasing old studio stuff is another thing altogether. Would they do it? I'm not sure why they would if they're hanging up their boots. The best we could hope for here would be an amalgamation of rejected but finished songs stretching way back through the years. We all know some of this stuff is really good but it needs finishing. I'd love to see a Tattoo You style album but I really don't think we'll get that. Here's hoping...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 10, 2007 18:44

Yeah, I see the Stones future being very much like how Elvis' catalog is handled these days. A very knowledgeable producer, Ernst Jorgensen is the gate keeper to all of Elvis' material and has released loads of unreleased live and studio material over the king's 21 year career. He's even created a side record label just for collectors/hardcore fans of releasing even more rare...or "official" bootlegs of studio outtakes and live shows. Those are released a couple times a year.

One day, when the Stones have completely ended...someone will be appointed to head up the Stones vault....probably with minimal and basic direction from Mick and/or Keith. Hell, it'll probably say "Produced by The Rolling Stones" on the product...just for the heck of it but I doubt Ronnie or Charlie will have much say in it.

It's a shame because I personally believe they should have started releasing stuff a couple years ago...even now. Classic rock is in with younger people now. Yet, they have very little official early Stones to enjoy. Especially on DVD. They gotta go to YouTube to find all the great stuff. The Stones would have a bigger audience if younger people were given better access to seeing or hearing them in their prime. An official DVD of "Ladies and Gentleman" would be something that of a "Citizen Kane" in a teenager's DVD collection...

Date: July 10, 2007 18:48

Justin Wrote:
> > One day, when the Stones have completely
> ended...someone will be appointed to head up the
> Stones vault....

I'll do it for expenses only!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 10, 2007 18:58

as retired-dog said, by the time the vaults open, there will be very few of us diehards left or in a state that we even give a damn anymore. a pity.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 10, 2007 19:11

One thing about the Stones vaults is that due to the way they work...there won't be very much "ready to go" material.
The up-side is that they'd have virtually limitless amounts of material from which to assemble what would effectively be new material.
Woouldn't be too far removed from the way they've generated certain "new" output in the past if truth be told ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-11 18:53 by Spud.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 10, 2007 19:21

yeah but opening the vaults is one thing, but what if they never pro shot anything from 73 or 78, then opening the vaults means nothing, yes audio would be nice but the 73 and 78 tours are well recorded on audio already, but what about video
maybe it was never done

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 10, 2007 19:26

>> Hmm, the vaults ARE OPEN, just not officially! <<

i'm not sure retired dog is saying it's with the band's okay that we have access to so much unofficial stuff,
but that seems likely with a lot (not all) of what's in circulation. i'm grateful!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 10, 2007 19:38

sjs12 Wrote:
> You have to remember that the stones do release
> stuff from the vault occasionally even though they
> haven't stopped yet.
>
> Rock n roll circus is an obvious example.
> Rarities is another example of releasing old stuff
> from the vaults, albeit very limited and not what
> we had hoped for. We've had re-releases of Gimme
> Shelter and Stones in the Park too, although they
> are obvious ones to release as they were
> previously available on VHS.
>
> So when the stones have finished touring and
> decide to hang up their boots either permanently
> or just for a long period of rest, I can see no
> reason why they wouldn't open up the vaults.
>
> However, they won't suddenly release every concert
> from the 60s and 70s all at once. Maybe we will
> get a 3 or 4 dvd box set with one "show" each from
> some of the main tours - perhaps 73 / 75 / 78
> would be the sort of thing we could hope for with
> some rare footage etc. If we're lucky that is.
>
> Even more likely is an official release of L&G and
> CSB on dvd. CSB is still occasionally shown in
> cinemas and I wonder whether they would be open to
> releasing that one.

CSB is never gonna come out. The clearances would never be signed off on, and the lawsuits would be staggering.

Furtheremore..............In a recent episode of "American Masters" on PBS, a documentary specifically on Ahmet Etregun, Mick and AE are discussing the early 70's and the great times they had. Jagger goes on to talk about (sarcastically obviously) how the band/he had more fun in those days than actually produced much work, and then without specifically mentioning CSB referd to it as "that movie"...........Mick talks about how it shows him, Ahmet and Keith especially and so many others in their circle in very compromising situations....and with both Mick and Ahmet giggling....... Mick goes on to say that everyone, including Ahmet called Mick.... pleading, begging to make sure that they were cut from the movie......terrified that the camera recorded them doing drugs or having sex......at which point Jagger laughing out of his wits.....says there would be no movie left at all if everyone who called him had ended up on the cutting room floor ..........I don't think that movie is gonna be released officially.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 10, 2007 19:43

What if the people who go through with such a vaults-project, have a very poor insight and small knowledge in the RS catalogue, as we witnessed with Live Licks and Raritites releases...? We could be getting some...unwelcome DVDs, before they gave up the project.
And if they had the courtesy to keep a full show - without removing the Taylor solos or editing the mistakes -
it could still be disappointing, either cos they're allready circulating in ex quality = Atlantic City 89 - or...not up to the standard of RS = Paris 76

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 10, 2007 19:45

Gazza Wrote:
> Justin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > One day, when the Stones have completely
> > ended...someone will be appointed to head up
> the
> > Stones vault....
>
> I'll do it for expenses only!!

ha

is there any other reason?

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: July 10, 2007 20:22

When this Tour is over I personally want to see a release of a Euro Bigger Bang DVD.

When the stones finally call a halt to playing all together I am sure they will release some gems.

Would not surprise me one bit if it is all put on RS.com for club members to download.

Of course the membership will be $1000 a time and each download will cost you $$$.

Date: July 10, 2007 21:58

melillo Wrote:
> yeah but opening the vaults is one thing, but what
> if they never pro shot anything from 73 or 78,
> then opening the vaults means nothing, yes audio
> would be nice but the 73 and 78 tours are well
> recorded on audio already, but what about video
> maybe it was never done

There's plenty from those tours..some of it already in circulation...and just because something hasnt been broadcasted or bootlegged doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

Theres an unreleased concert film from Fort Worth 1978 for example....we only have about 6 songs from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-11 18:25 by Gazza.

Date: July 10, 2007 22:02

i think our best hope is that somehow the oldest stone - wyman - outlives mick and keith - he's the archivist and the one with the least vested interested in protecting the "legitimacy" of the modern incarnation of the band....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 10, 2007 22:06

Maybe way into the future, long after the stones, people that are genuinely intersted in the music will be able to have acess to the vaults. but I only see that happening way, way down the road.

Date: July 10, 2007 22:17

ryanpow Wrote:
> Maybe way into the future, long after the stones,
> people that are genuinely intersted in the music
> will be able to have acess to the vaults. but I
> only see that happening way, way down the road.

no doubt. i find that to be be very sad, though, for fans who exist in the same time/space as the band. i listen to a lot of stuff, say, like miles davis, duke ellington, charlie parker - lots of vault releases have come out in some case decades after all the "original fans" have long since passed....a shame.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 10, 2007 22:26

madmaxx Wrote:
> When this Tour is over I personally want to see a
> release of a Euro Bigger Bang DVD.
>
> When the stones finally call a halt to playing all
> together I am sure they will release some gems.
>
> Would not surprise me one bit if it is all put on
> RS.com for club members to download.
>
> Of course the membership will be $1000 a time and
> each download will cost you $$$.

The Stones could have done like The Who.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 10, 2007 22:26

>> just because something hasnt been broadcasted or bootlegged doesnt mean it exists <<

you're right, that would indeed be faulty logic :E

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 10, 2007 22:39

StonesTod Wrote:
> ryanpow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe way into the future, long after the
> stones,
> > people that are genuinely intersted in the
> music
> > will be able to have acess to the vaults. but I
> > only see that happening way, way down the road.
>
> no doubt. i find that to be be very sad, though,
> for fans who exist in the same time/space as the
> band. i listen to a lot of stuff, say, like miles
> davis, duke ellington, charlie parker - lots of
> vault releases have come out in some case decades
> after all the "original fans" have long since
> passed....a shame.

Interesting thoughts - I wonder how the market for Rolling Stones records - in whatever format they will use - will be in let's say, 50 years ?

Date: July 10, 2007 22:42

there will "always" be a market for the Stones music....but, my point was that future generations of Stones fans will likely have the opportunity to hear/see alot of the band's work that we will never have.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home