Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The forgotten benefit concert
Posted by: tjkeef ()
Date: July 8, 2007 22:37

I've been out of town for a month , maybe this has been posted before, many newspapers have had articles about Live Earh , mentioning other benefit concerts, Live Aid, Live 8, Bangladesh ETC.. but nothing is ever written about the Nicaraguan benefit the Stones did?????????????????

Re: The forgotten benefit concert
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 8, 2007 22:43

It's because the Nicaraguan Benefit concert was played in Inglewood Forum...for what....15.000. people maybe ? And there weren't any broadcasts of that show either. They didn't collect much money, compared to the other charity-concerts...in fact Jagger gave a bigger amount from his own wallet - than the amount the audience could raise

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: July 9, 2007 05:56

...... and ill add,, an incrediable show...

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 9, 2007 06:18

It wasn't that great of a performance but it was a really nice setlist. The bootleg is really an essential recording to have (for the fans anyway) because of the rare setlist and historical significance.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 9, 2007 10:16

Nice set list, sound was sub par, and the tickets were $35...at a time when a typical top seats were about $10 to $12 to a stones show

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: July 9, 2007 14:41

I lived in Southern California when the Nicaraguan benefit took place (and still live in L.A.). I was 14 years old going on 15. When the band rolled through town the previous year, I was not paying much attention but by early 1973 I was a huge fan and in the process of buying all of the albums on the wages I earned as a newspaper carrier.

I really, really wanted to go to the Nicaraguan benefit but the $35 tickets were way out of my reach, and then there was the matter of having to pedal my bicycle 75 miles to reach Inglewood.

So I relied on reports in the L.A. Times and in Rolling Stone. I loved seeing Mick's haircut. And I bought a bootleg with mighty tasty cartoon illustrations of each song played at the show.

By the time that the band returned to L.A. in 1975, I was ready. I had enough money to buy tickets to three of the five shows, and a driver's license to get me to Inglewood.

But I missed my chance to see Mick Taylor with the band.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 9, 2007 14:50

Tumblin_Dice_07 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It wasn't that great of a performance but it was a
> really nice setlist. The bootleg is really an
> essential recording to have (for the fans anyway)
> because of the rare setlist and historical
> significance.

IMO No Expectations alone makes it an essential bootleg

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 9, 2007 15:13

It wasn't EXACTLY anything like LIVE 8 or LIVE EARTH.... I went to it and first of all, the supporting acts that I remember were CHEECH AND CHONG (hip comedy act) and SANTANA.... There might be one more but I think that's it. The set list was great/special with NO EXPECTATIONS/STRAY CAT BLUES/ROUTE 66/IT'S ALL OVER NOW/DEAD FLOWERS (not played in 72 in LA)/MIDNIGHT RAMBLER (the encore - not found on my vinyl boot). We thought the tickets were scary expensive at the time - something like from $10 to $250 or somewhere up there - i think we paid $25.00 each.It was pretty much like a regular show except for a couple sentences were Mick thanked us for "Shelling out so much bread... I know it's a lot of bread". Glad I went but ALTAMONT would have been better - MUCH too young to make it to that one in 1969 (did catch the 69 forum shows as a tike in diapers - almost - EXCELLENT)

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: July 9, 2007 18:48

... it was a huge treat,, all the sudden the stones were back in town, out of nowhere,, re-enforcing that they where the greatest rock and roll band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home