Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Down The Road Apiece
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 12, 2010 07:24

>> even though he's misheard several of them? <<

... well, as Green Lady's illustrated, their esteemed predecessors had already altered the lyrics.
apart from the name of the drummer, the Stones are using Chuck Berry's version of the words.
maybe CBII can enlighten us about how "you can lose your lead" came about -
my best theory matches Green Lady's: that the "lead" in the phrase is the British word for "leash",
and the phrase means you can let go, feel unrestrained, etc - but i don't know why Chuck would use a British English word.
maybe it just "sings better" than the US English equivalent?

>> If I recall reading right ... Chuck Berry was watching them doing "Down The Road Apiece" and said there were doing alright <<

smile: yeah! the immortal words were:
"Swing on, gentlemen - you are sounding most well if I may say so."

hail hail Rolling Stones :E

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 12, 2010 16:40

I love both versions (chucks and the Stones) but they are vastly different to me other than the intro. The Stones cranked this number up twice the speed and one of the guitar breaks on Chuck's is completely different(maybe because its Matt"Guitar"Murphy? I don't know!) There is a BBC version where they play it in a lower key like Berry's(or at least thats what it sounds like to me)

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 19, 2010 22:55

Here the Stones really show the world what masters they already are of the rhythm and blues form. And, as pointed out above, the production on this track is stellar, too.

A rollicking gem.

Drew

Date: December 9, 2010 05:58

There´s a very interest version (although not glorious such as the Sontes and Chuck´s) by Manfred Mann mark I, with their great Paul Jones line-up.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home