Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question about Open E
Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: June 26, 2007 04:11

I'm trying to learn You Got the Silver on guitar, and it's played in Open E with a capo on the first fret. But, I can't tune to Open E. I can tune to Open D, and when you put a capo at the second in that tuning you basically get open E. So, my question is if I put the capo at the third fret in open d, would that be basically the same as a capo on the first fret in open e?

Re: Question about Open E
Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: June 26, 2007 04:25

Why can't you tune to open E ? low to high E B E G# B E. The sixth second and first strings are tuned to standard pitch;The fifth string A is tuned up one whole step to B;the fourth string D, is tuned up one whole step to E;and the third string G is tuned up one half step to G# Hope this helps.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: June 26, 2007 04:29

If you ever learn the licks right before the chorus please send them my way! Cheers!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 26, 2007 04:35

La Mano Nera Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my question is if I put the capo at the third fret in
> open d, would that be basically the same as a capo
> on the first fret in open e?

yes.

some guitars, because of string/neck tension, don't want their strings tuned up 2 frets (snap! went the string). others, like strats, have a floating bridge on springs, and if you raise the pitch of a lower string, the other strings all detune and vice versa. for example, i could never get a really comfortable Open G going on my strat (too loose), so when i would record, i would have to tune to open G#.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 26, 2007 05:03

This should help: [www.guitaretab.com]

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: June 26, 2007 05:37

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 26, 2007 12:17

Try open Eb. I prefer the sound of this to open D because the bottom string isn't quite as loose.

But the answer to your question is yes - 3rd fret in open D brings it up to open F and the same as 1st fret capo'd open E.

However, it will sound a bit different because of string tension etc.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 26, 2007 12:55

OK, so open E is not the same as open G or open D with a capo?
Can someone post how to tune Open G and Open D? I think Ive tuned it to open D (Parachute Woman?). Thanks for open E, didnt know that one.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 26, 2007 15:41

Open E is pretty much the same as open D with a capo. Only it sounds different because the strings are slacker.

The other thing is that I don't like using slides with capos because it draws the strings nearer to the fretboard, and I like a bit of clearance when playing slide.

Any good electric guitar will easily take an open E tuning without any problem. On a floating bridge, it may pull it up a bit and cause higher action - which is what you want with slide guitar.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 26, 2007 15:45

Try looking at it this way.

Open E, open Eb or open D are all tuned to give a chord which mirrors the fingered E chord voicing in standard tuning. So it's tuned to an E shape but either a tone or half tone lower overall.

Open G on the other hand is tuned to the root A shape voicing. Open A is also used quite commonly as a slide tuning.

I must admit that I'd always rather use an open tuning that involves reducing string tension rather than raising it... unless the guitar is going to live with that tuning and be set up accordingly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-26 15:49 by Spud.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 26, 2007 16:18

LA FORUM Wrote:
> OK, so open E is not the same as open G or open D
> with a capo?
> Can someone post how to tune Open G

Try this chart [www.alanhorvath.com] for open G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-26 16:18 by open-g.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 26, 2007 20:55

Thanks!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 26, 2007 21:06

Yeah, thanks, open-g. I play a little in 5-string open-g, but didn't know all of these chord voicings.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: June 26, 2007 21:28

Glad to help out.

btw, what does DILLIGAF mean?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 26, 2007 21:38

Do I look like I give a f___? winking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: June 26, 2007 22:10

Haha - good one.

Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: June 27, 2007 00:10

Thanks a lot guys. I can always count on a straight answer here. Really appreciate it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 27, 2007 21:05

It's most likely that Keith tuned to open D and had a capo on the 3rd fret for that song.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 27, 2007 23:52

His Majesty Wrote:
> It's most likely that Keith tuned to open D and
> had a capo on the 3rd fret for that song.

Judging on pictures, Keith mainly seemed to tune to open D and use a capo on the second fret for open E. There's many pics of Keith on acoustic with a capo on second or third fret.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-28 10:24 by Mathijs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home