Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones - Dick Cavett Show 1972
Posted by: Kartoffelsalat ()
Date: June 16, 2007 21:30

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Re: Rolling Stones - Dick Cavett Show 1972
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 16, 2007 23:08

greattt stuff....ty
taylor was interviewd too on this show but i can't find the clip anywhere.
also there was a very cool recent thread with mickt's stunning recent version of LIV...remarkable, just remarkable,,,,and i can't find that either...maybe i've overlooked it or something, but it seems gone...

anyway, it was every bit as good as this classic stones clip...starts off with his first solo about 5 seconds in; check around 2:20 or so for a minute also, whoa...the rolling stones...holy moly...then right into one of keith's all time best live lead work...stunning...
this can never be erased...not really...this is why the stones are immortal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-16 23:17 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 16, 2007 23:56

Beelyboy, don't mean to correct you, but Taylor was not interviewed in Dick Cavett show. THere's only Mick and Bill, Cavett obviously don't care for potsmoking. Bye Bye Johnny 72 - one of R&R history best moments, damn straight

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 17, 2007 00:19

Im really impressed with Cavett here. It seems like He makes Mick Feel comfortalbe talkng to him. I like how he offers people carrots. That was a nice move.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 17, 2007 01:38

Nice post aardappelsalade thanks

Date: June 17, 2007 01:43

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beelyboy, don't mean to correct you, but Taylor
> was not interviewed in Dick Cavett show. THere's
> only Mick and Bill, Cavett obviously don't care
> for potsmoking. Bye Bye Johnny 72 - one of R&R
> history best moments, damn straight

thnx Erik...
haa, cavett didn't care for potsmoking? was taylor the pothead in the group?
lol, wassup with that...
anyway, great interviews with mick and bill, the kids runnin' all over the green room etc...cool stuff...how calm and cool they all are...then what an incredible explosion when they hit the stage...just unbelivable...

just expooodddesssss...mick clapping out the tempo real hard right from the gitgo...no click tracks and timers in them days i guess...haw, i guess they found that dang beat alright. and then beat it to death...whoooo

can't believe cavett asked mick about being 'the devil incarnate'...hee hee
i loved the question about the guy passing out pills and jagger explains it's vitamins and naming each one, and salt pills and water, cause i guess they were about to do some serious sweating...yee hawww...i saw them that year...twice (d.c.& nyc) yee hawww...everybody was so blitzed and buzzed and happy on the way out...huge smiles, huge smiles everywhere...i mean, they really laid it down, left it all on the stage...a masterwork, a masterpiece, the alpha and omega of rock and roll right there...never gonna get over it...never want to...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 01:56 by Beelyboy.

Date: June 17, 2007 01:53

Beelyboy Wrote:
> haa, cavett didn't care for potsmoking? was
> taylor the pothead in the group?
> lol, wassup with that...

Bill is having a joint, and Cavett keeps on nagging about Bill's smoking habits and stuff like that, and try to make Bill feel guilty. Bill mentioned it in his biography, I thought it was a usual cigarette when I saw this interview 10 years ago. Things like that, makes Cavett seem pretty obnoxious and silly to me, also some of the questions he ask Jagger..."how much is your weight" and stuff.
Cavett seems to behave himself 80% of the time, but it slips through that he thinks his morals are the correct ones....he treated David Bowie silly and disrespectful in 1974 also, I'm sure most people don't think he did, but I do

Date: June 17, 2007 02:04

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Beelyboy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > haa, cavett didn't care for potsmoking? was
> > taylor the pothead in the group?
> > lol, wassup with that...
>
> Bill is having a joint, and Cavett keeps on
> nagging about Bill's smoking habits and stuff like
> that, and try to make Bill feel guilty. Bill
> mentioned it in his biography, I thought it was a
> usual cigarette when I saw this interview 10 years
> ago. Things like that, makes Cavett seem pretty
> obnoxious and silly to me, also some of the
> questions he ask Jagger..."how much is your
> weight" and stuff.
> Cavett seems to behave himself 80% of the time,
> but it slips through that he thinks his morals are
> the correct ones....he treated David Bowie silly
> and disrespectful in 1974 also, I'm sure most
> people don't think he did, but I do

hmmm, interesting...was that what was goin' on when cavett was accusing wyman of smoking his cigarette down to the filter several times, tho bill just waved him off and said 'no i'm not'...???
i didn't see the interviews you referred to, but i did see hendrix on there and hendrix was so beautiful, just so centered and lovely-spirited...
cavett has some nerve to play 'moralistic'...as time passsed he went into years of depression and drug use of different kinds, prescribed and not...

for whatever reasons tho, he deserves some kinda credit for having janis and jimi perform, gettin' the stones exclusive and all...but i know what you mean...
he was out of his element, but couldn't help but be fascinated...weird that he went all teen magazine back there...couldn't really handle it i guess...cause a lot of times he had intelligent discussions on that show...oh well...
i'm gonna try and find the bowie interview...never ceases to amaze me that the talking heads on television stand in judgement of actually real artists and creators...(getting things wrong and going for the tawdry cheap-thrill spin)...some things never change...
he did seem to be genuinely fascinated tho...and very respectful toward mick, 'devil' questions and all...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 02:12 by Beelyboy.

Date: June 17, 2007 02:11

Beelyboy Wrote:
> hmmm, interesting...was that what was goin' on
> when cavett was accusing wyman of smoking his
> cigarette down to the filter several times, tho
> bill just waved him off and said 'no i'm
> not'...???
> i didn't see the interviews you referred to, but i
> did see hendrix on there and hendrix was so
> beautiful, just so centered and
> lovely-spirited...
> cavett has some nerve to play 'moralistic'...as
> time passsed he went into years of depression and
> drug use of different kinds, prescribed and
> not...
>
> for whatever reasons tho, he deserves some kinda
> credit for having janis and jimi perform, gettin'
> the stones exclusive and all...but i know what you
> mean...
> he was out of his element, but couldn't help but
> be fascinated...weird that he went all teen
> magazine back there...couldn't really handle it i
> guess...cause a lot of times he had intelligent
> discussions on that show...oh well...
> i'm gonna try and find the bowie interview...never
> ceases to amaze me that the talking heads on
> television stand in judgement of actually real
> artists and creators...(getting things wrong and
> going for the tawdry cheap-thrill spin)...some
> things never change...
>
> great footage tho.

Yes he does deserve some credit. He's good at making people feel welcome, and he did an excellent choice on who to interview in his shows.
THe Bowie interview...I don't know it's available officially. But it's a facinating watch. Bowie is completely in a different world....he sits there tapping his cane in patterns - and smile in a frightening and cool way. But Cavett makes him aware of this, and also some of the questions he raise makes it obvious that he views Bowie as some kinda freak that better get a hold of himself.....even though he's a nice interviewer 90% of the time.
There's lotsa guys worse than Dick Cavett...especially in the 60s and 70s. The interviewer for Old Grey Whistle Test does a great job, can't remember his name, but he interviewed Rolling Stones in 1973, 1974 and 1977.
BTW, Rolling Stones is watching the Cavett show, the part with Bill Wyman, at a hotel room - in a scene of Co**Sucker Blues.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 02:26 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 17, 2007 02:57

Yeah but Snowman, you gotta remember what year this was.... We had almost NOBODY to put on good live acts for us. Their was the obvious Dude, Sullivan, and Carson was not into rock so he never had anyone, hardly , that I remember (I think he had HENDRIX on once and he blew an amp playing STONE FREE, pretty sure about that). I mean, when Lennon/McCartney were on the Tonight Show in '68 to announce Apple Johnny was on vacation and Joe De Maggio (sp?) sat in as host.

The Bowie/Cavett show are easy to get (except for 3rd song "FOOTSTOMPIN') which is ALWAYS missing. It's on the new , Deluxe edition YOUNG AMERICANS CD/DVD as well as CAVETTS DVD box set of all R n' R shows (Hendrix, Joplin, Sly and the Family Stone, Post Woodstock Show with Airplane, Stills, Crosby, Joni Mitchell,etc. Who else? Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Stones, etc).I just watched the Bowie interview the other day and let me tell you, the man is totally coked up and not really ALL THERE - way too much nervous energy.I liked Dick Cavett, he had John and Yoko on numerous times. It was the 70's, about as good as one could expect back in those days.... Then MTV came along and EVENTUALLY f*cked EVERTHING up eventually -ha........

Date: June 17, 2007 03:05

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Yeah but Snowman, you gotta remember what year
> this was.... We had almost NOBODY to put on good
> live acts for us.

Yes, that's true - as I said, Dick made feel the artists feel at home, and he does a pretty good job.
These other things I wrote are just "in-my-opinion"-ramblings.

> The Bowie/Cavett show are easy to get (except for
> 3rd song "FOOTSTOMPIN') which is ALWAYS missing.
> It's on the new , Deluxe edition YOUNG AMERICANS
> CD/DVD as well as CAVETTS DVD box set of all R n'
> R shows

I have the entire broadcast as bonus material...the Cracked Actor DVD, if you remember that one ? Still haven't hooked up on that offer..
It's Black & white though

> Then MTV came along
> and EVENTUALLY f*cked EVERTHING up eventually
> -ha........

Yea that's true, for commercial TV. But the interesting stuff is not on MTV..

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 17, 2007 04:05

I like the 2000 Light Years tease before Brown Sugar...you can hear the piano notes and Bill's bass notes.

Date: June 17, 2007 06:03

GEez I dont think Cavvet was being moralistic. He was just making an observation that he was smoking it down to the butt which is kind of odd if your not used to seeing that. then when Bill sad "No im not" that made it akward, but it wasnt Dicks fault. Thats why he sad "Well one of us is right".

BTW it seems like mick had some "Peruvian marching powder" before the second part of his interview after he got into his stage clothes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 06:57 by ryanpow.

Date: June 17, 2007 07:26

ryanpow Wrote:
> GEez I dont think Cavvet was being moralistic. He
> was just making an observation that he was smoking
> it down to the butt which is kind of odd if your
> not used to seeing that.

yeh perhaps not moralistic, i dunno...it is/was an entirely different world than anything else ever, being backstage with the stones '72 at the garden...

and IF it was a joint, and cavett knew it, and was tweaking bill about it backstage on camera (all "IF's" i know...but that would have been a bit of a violation i think,) tho i don't think that cavett had bad intentions...i think he was thrilled at the scoop...i think he was a bit nervous about it all too...and also, kinda clueless about rock and roll, tho fascinated by it's power...and interested in the 'phenemonon' (in this sense sorta like clueless marty)

cavett actually did a huge service, as skelter remarked above...
janis killed on his show...sensitive and respectful interview too if i am remembering correctly...the hendrix interview was really a total gift...jimi's innate intelligence, genuine humility and huge sweetness of spirt was so apparent...it was a revelation for me to see the guy behind all that powerful zeitgeist of nuclear sonic blast was so very soft-spoken and genuinely humble...

and also i've seen classic little richard stuff on cavett too...and it was one of the very rare 'white light' moments in my young life...and made an impression that lasts to this day...don't remember the song, might have been 'freedom blues'...a short interview and then
a panel of writers and intellectuals, thespians and stuff...don't recall exactly who...and the coversation was flowing intelligently etc...

and richard kept interrupting...i realized it was part of his shtick and he could reliably be counted on to 'act up' on carson or wherever else he was booked...
even so, something resonated...he was refusing to give up one iota of the show...he chewed the scenery...he was incensed..."shut up shut up i'm little richard, i'm the innovator, the instigator the creator, the architect of rock and roll!!" that kinda stuff...but very in yo face, and over and over again...he would not stop...they'd start the conversation up again after giving richard a laugh or a moment or two...mostly affectionate i think...but not taking him very seriously...
and the crowd would laugh of course...and so would the guests, cause richard was being a 'clown' and kinda breaking the talk show etiquette rules...in fact, he was directly and to some degree derisively, purposely slagging the guest panel...challening them as to their meager accomplishments in comparison with his super powers...

richard was aware enough to know he was kinda bein' the clown, but i could sense some genuine frustration in his proclamations, repeated again and again...sitting back at the end of the couch after 'his' segment and trying to reel it in, but he could not...

he'd listen for a little while, then get frustrated and bored and richard ain't gonna sit at the end of a couch and be a good boy...just not in him...he was getting genuinely frustrated, it seemed to me...it seemed more than 'comic timing'...he was a little pissed off...telling these people to 'shut up' and to me, it sounded like part of him, perhaps a big part of him, absolutely meant it...
i don't know if muhammad ali got it from richard or vice versa, but he was saying stuff like 'Look at me!! Look how beautiful i am!! oooh oooh whoooooo"
(and he was!, and, despite the pancake makeup thick as spackle, and wigs tina is jealous of, he still is)

he was still in his thirties...and not gonna yield the limelight to anyone, nor should he ever have to...was my feeling...what an international treasure...cat can still sing and is totally ignored except for commercials and cartoons...and one horrid band after another is all over the tube every month on the talk shows...

then it occurred to me...holy shit...he's right!...the rest of it is intellectual hogwash and verbose impotent preening in comparison...as far as genuine and significant cultural historical impact...he was totally right...
ask dylan or jagger about early influences and out pops richard...it brought dylan to the piano in high school days before he got to a guitar...rtj is almost a direct homage in it's way, vocally, lyrical cadence, tempo, heck even bobby's sax solo...imo anyway. richard's own written works and co-writes will outlast all those authors...already has purty sure...(zep's incredibly heavy 'rock and roll' starts with a direct exact cop by bonham from 'keep a knockin')

ding!!! all the lights went on...i thought 'he's right, he's right'...
he changed the entire world, forever, the entire worldwide 'culture' forever...with songs he wrote while washing dishes at a howard johnsons...and these people were just talking about whatever...in His presence...He did the right thing of course...SHUT UP...SHUT UP I"M LITTLE RICHARD!!!

cavett brought many special moments like that to the screen with his guest choices...he was genuinely curious, tho obviously from a different cultural background, perhaps more broadway and literary than chuck berry...(who come to think of it, as time marches on...was a better writer than most of the authors he had on also, and a more impactful one as the decades and centuries fly by)

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 17, 2007 07:46

I never sensed any "moralistic" attitude from Cavett in any interviews I've seen. Then again, I haven't seen that Bowie interview you're talking about. I think Cavett was probably more hip to these people (musicians, artists) than most other talk show or late night host would have been in that era.

Date: June 17, 2007 09:48

Yeah, I hear ya' Beely. The first time I saw that interview thought Cavett was being condescending but over the years ive looked at it differently.

Posted by: Kartoffelsalat ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:43

Great footage, Kartoffelsalat. Thank you very very much. You are the greatest. Uhm...wait...

Date: June 17, 2007 13:22

Great read there Beely

>>Great footage, Kartoffelsalat. Thank you very very much. You are the greatest. Uhm...wait...<<

Yes nice thread, but we do have it on DVD and VHS allready - it's even on official DVD in edited form

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:30

Dick Cavett is a legend, he was great and he was hip to the whole scene man.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:35

For you Beeely...

Quiet before the storm...Little Richard...Backstage circa 1956

ROCKMAN

Date: June 17, 2007 14:22

wow great pic rockman, ty, never saw that one! very much appreciated...

aww, look at the rips and stains on that cruddy filthy dressing room couch...and all the miscellaneous crap, ornate wrought iron lamps or whatever else on top of the couch like a junk pile...these brilliant pioneers were treated like bums, what a shame....by '56 he was already a hit artist...that dude, along with maybe ike, was the true pioneer of breaking that color line for good in pop culture...the guy is a giant...

gosh...that guy came from the poorest part of the smallest towns in georgia...and look what he done...without a dime or a dollar...i love richard.
expression on his face is priceless...great caption too rockman...
is he meditating, concentrating, angry, peaceful or ?????
4 sho he wuz about to 'rip it up' smiling smiley

like to hear HIM on the piano for bs...(his studio version KILLS) all this falsetto screaming in steps up the scale, elongated and wild...wild and soul scorching...all this during the intro, before one word of verse one...the guy's a killer....great pic and thank you.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 18, 2007 01:07

One more for ya Beely...

The Georgia Peach - circa 1956

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: June 18, 2007 01:28

My favorite moment on Dick Cavett is the Jimi Hendrix interview where he is asked where he is from. Hendrix rocks a bit to and fro, his eyes all gone and then looks up and utters the immortal words, "I'm from Mars, man. Where you from?" (repeated from memory so please don't crucify me ;-))

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 18, 2007 05:25

Cavett was about the best interview around at the time, kinda like Charlie Rose (on PBS, U. S) is now. Okay, he was from Yale and literary, but as some said above, he was one of the only people giving us these performances on a talk show in the U.S., and talking to these young musicians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-18 06:59 by angee.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 18, 2007 05:42

This is classic...Mike Douglas Show

Ali-Sly Stone

Posted by: gia43 ()
Date: June 18, 2007 18:14

the videos have been removed... does anyone have an alternate link to share?? thanx!!

Who the f*ck is Mick Jagger?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home