Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T - Jeff Buckley.........gone 10 years to the day
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 29, 2007 10:33

Can it really be 10 years ago, to the day, that Jeff Buckley passed away?

...amazing talent, snuffed out too soon.

...i'll be playing 'Grace' today, in high rotation.
from wikipedia:-[en.wikipedia.org]

..."On May 29, 1997, as the band's plane touched down on the runway to join him in his Memphis studio, Buckley went swimming in Wolf River Harbor, a tributary of the Mississippi River, while wearing steel-toed boots, all of his clothing, and singing along to a radio playing Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love".

A roadie of Buckley's band, Keith Foti, remained ashore. After moving the radio and a guitar out of reach of the wake from a passing tugboat, Foti looked up to see that Buckley was gone.
Despite a determined rescue effort that night, Buckley remained missing, and the search was called off the following day due to heavy rain. One week later his body was spotted by a tourist on a riverboat marina and was brought ashore.

Re: O.T - Jeff Buckley.........gone 10 years to the day
Date: May 29, 2007 12:59

'Last Goodbye'

Date: May 29, 2007 17:27

'Grace'

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 29, 2007 17:30

Grace is the one album from the 90's that is still in regular rotation in my office. I love it.

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: May 29, 2007 17:36

I saw Jeff Buckley's last show (at least the last show of the Grace tour) the summer before he died. He was probably the best guitar player of his generation and a hell of a singer to boot. He was a bit sissy, but always fully committed and was (what baseball scouts would call) a five-tool player. Seemed to have a bright future ahead of him. Saw him briefly before the show and remember being struck by how small he was. Bet he's even smaller now.

I also liked that he was backstroking and singing "Whole Lotta Love" right before the boat pulled him under. Tragicomedy at it's finest.

He was a true believer. He was a beacon of hope for rock n roll. He is missed.

Date: May 29, 2007 17:43

thanks for your memories cosmoprim
did anyone else here, get to see him, live?

to my eternal shame and regret, i attended the Reading Festival, UK,
on August 28th 1994, the day he played there.
He was performing on the secondary, inside stage (i.e tent), on a mid-afternoon slot, and i had earmarked his performance as one i wanted to catch.
For some inexplicable reason, which will haunt me for the rest of my days, i walked past the tent as he was playing to a raptuous round of applause,
(he sounded great) but was preocupied with something else going on, bypassing his set, but promising myself i'd catch him soon.
Of course, i never got the chance- i was out of the country, during his short UK tour of 1995, and that was that. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-29 17:44 by Adrian-L.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 29, 2007 18:10

Yes, Adrian I did see Jeff Buckley. It was in Paradiso, Amsterdam in 1995. Until now the best show I saw in my life. I remember him saying he had a new guitar because the show prior it was defect, or something like that anyway. Made sort of an excuse for it. It did't made any difference to his (great) guitar playing at all. Still looking for a tape of this show.

Date: May 29, 2007 18:18

thanks barabang- you were lucky to see him
- hope you track down a boot of that show!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home