Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Soundgarden Reunite
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 7, 2010 12:34

boogie1969
I'm not a huge fan of STP by any means. I thought they were ok, some songs I liked, but most I got sick of quickly because they played the crap out of them on the radio here in the states. I felt they had a formula that was too repetitive. Each song seemed to only have two parts, just verse and chorus, no bridge, no real lead break, and then went back and forth between the two ad-nauseam until the song ended. And many people in America, especially critics, did call them Pearl Jam clones, but I always felt they reminded me more of Alice in Chains, especially their first single, Sex Type Thing. Scott Weiland sounds almost exactly like Layne Staley on that to me. Anyways, Wikipedia says this:

"The band has sold nearly 40 million records worldwide, including 17.5 million in the United States alone. They have had 15 top ten singles on the Billboard rock charts, including six number ones, and one number one album on the pop charts (1994's Purple). In 1994, the band won a Grammy for "Best Hard Rock Performance" for their song "Plush". Stone Temple Pilots were also ranked at number 40 on VH1's The 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock."

Their albums, in order of release, reached the chart positions in America of 3, 1, 4, 6, and 9.

Out of almost 40 million albums worlwide, only 17.5 were sold in America. They must have been popular somewhere besides just the U.S. (And by the way, Soundgarden have an 8/20 million U.S./worlwide total.)

Looks like know-it-all Mathijs doesn't know everything after all.

Sure not, ask me anything about jazz or fusion and I won't have a clue. I was and still am a big fan of Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, Nirvana's In Utero and the first couple of Pearl Jam Albums, and that's it as far as grunge is concerned.

I don't know how trustworthy wikipedia is, not do I know how big STP were/are in the US, but here in the Netherlands they only had a minor hit with Plush, and dissapeared from the radar since then.

Just to show how big they are in the Netherlands: we opened a festival in 2004 at noon, with an audience of about a 1000. We had 40 minutes, just as the band after us: STP. The audience remained about 1000. As the festival developed, bands like Placebo, Muse and Snow Patrol came, and in the end the audience grew to about 50.000.

Mathijs

Re: OT: Soundgarden Reunite
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 7, 2010 14:38

Mathijs
boogie1969
I'm not a huge fan of STP by any means. I thought they were ok, some songs I liked, but most I got sick of quickly because they played the crap out of them on the radio here in the states. I felt they had a formula that was too repetitive. Each song seemed to only have two parts, just verse and chorus, no bridge, no real lead break, and then went back and forth between the two ad-nauseam until the song ended. And many people in America, especially critics, did call them Pearl Jam clones, but I always felt they reminded me more of Alice in Chains, especially their first single, Sex Type Thing. Scott Weiland sounds almost exactly like Layne Staley on that to me. Anyways, Wikipedia says this:

"The band has sold nearly 40 million records worldwide, including 17.5 million in the United States alone. They have had 15 top ten singles on the Billboard rock charts, including six number ones, and one number one album on the pop charts (1994's Purple). In 1994, the band won a Grammy for "Best Hard Rock Performance" for their song "Plush". Stone Temple Pilots were also ranked at number 40 on VH1's The 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock."

Their albums, in order of release, reached the chart positions in America of 3, 1, 4, 6, and 9.

Out of almost 40 million albums worlwide, only 17.5 were sold in America. They must have been popular somewhere besides just the U.S. (And by the way, Soundgarden have an 8/20 million U.S./worlwide total.)

Looks like know-it-all Mathijs doesn't know everything after all.

Sure not, ask me anything about jazz or fusion and I won't have a clue. I was and still am a big fan of Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, Nirvana's In Utero and the first couple of Pearl Jam Albums, and that's it as far as grunge is concerned.

I don't know how trustworthy wikipedia is, not do I know how big STP were/are in the US, but here in the Netherlands they only had a minor hit with Plush, and dissapeared from the radar since then.

Just to show how big they are in the Netherlands: we opened a festival in 2004 at noon, with an audience of about a 1000. We had 40 minutes, just as the band after us: STP. The audience remained about 1000. As the festival developed, bands like Placebo, Muse and Snow Patrol came, and in the end the audience grew to about 50.000.

Mathijs

Snow Patrol? What the hell is wrong with you people? That's chick music for cryin out loud. You play that crap at the end of a date so you can get you some! It's always a standard criticism of bands when they sell a lot of albums that they're sell-outs. People have been whining about that crap since bands quit focusing on cutting singles and 'album rock' came in 40 years ago. It's even better here - STP's a sell-out, yet they haven't sold THAT many albums lol. Of course, my hottie comment is aimed at the grungers in the corner shooting smack in their flannel shirts. Kinda like their uncles/fathers who used to go to Jethro Tull/progressive rock concerts back in the day where there were the women were few and far between. Used to call them groove monkeys. 'It's all about the music, man' - well, it is, but that ain't ALL of it>tongue sticking out smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1213
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home