Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 10, 2007 14:26

This is a great record classic Steely Dan clever street lyrics of the era and fagen and becker sure are compilcated musicians and composers.

Any Major Dude - If you listen to the acoustic guitar chord progression I thought I was listening to Cat Stevens doing Peace Train.

On Barrytown - they do their best Billy Joel - not that I am a huge fan of Billy Joel.

Their first four records are classic.

Re: OT - Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 10, 2007 15:42

twiddly twoddly twonk!!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 10, 2007 15:58

Just saw them in Memphis Saturday night! Great show, sounded fantastic. Late night, didn't start until 11:30 and went until about 1:15.

Only song they played off Pretzel Logic was Monkey In Your Soul. Walter Becker sang it (which really I could've done without).

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 10, 2007 17:23

I thought this board was about rock and roll...

Date: May 10, 2007 17:38

it is other bands can rock and have a groove its not all about the stones its about good music and bands that still can play live with no gimmicks

Date: May 10, 2007 17:54

"its not all about the stones"

eh, its a stones fan board? There must be one or two Steely Dan ones still?

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: May 10, 2007 19:19

anybody seen a set-list from the tour?...can't find it

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 10, 2007 20:00

from what Ive heard of Steeely Dan, I like the song My Old School the most. I dont know what album its from I used to have a CD with it. That song has really a cool sounding chord progression, theres a tension that builds up in it.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: May 10, 2007 20:52

It's from "Countdown to Ecstasy", their 2nd album. This is a real fine one.

But as an introduction, their double LP/single CD greatest hits collection ("Steely Dan's Greatest Hits") is a sure winner! (I think it's better focused than the new double CD collection "Show Biz Kids", which includes a couple of duds IMHO).

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: May 10, 2007 21:46

I wish Steely Dan threads would disappear around here. Their music is a whole bunch of cock gobble that then vomits healthy chunks of boredom.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 10, 2007 22:46

Well, we won't tell you what Steely Dan threads say about you!

No, they are quite respectful actually - even of loud-mouthed Aussies.

Here, have $20 my good man and haste yourself off.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 11, 2007 03:20

I own this CD. Mainly because of the title track. "I have never met Napolean but I plan to find the time"..............Great song,great lyrics.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: May 11, 2007 04:52

I'm not loud mouthed I just type rather bodaciously. SD are overrated and for reasons unknown are enjoying alot of type time on this site. I care little dear Sir for what SD threads have to say concerning me or anything else they may attempt to convey to those that read the aforementioned threads.

Ricky don't los....ZZZzzzzZzZZzzzzz....

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: May 11, 2007 12:36

My dear colonial boy,

There's great guitar on them there early SD reecords. Ricky don't lose has a great solo - which owes much of it;'s greatness to the fact that it bursts out of the mellow flow they have created. Not dig Elec Piana? It's a blend.

They are not all dull - although their later albums may have veered that way.

I don't believe all Aussies are without soul and without appreciation of mood.

I find Jazz Rock dull - but not SD.

Date: May 11, 2007 12:48

The song Pretzel Logic is brilliant with a bluesy groove and the lyrics are fantastic. With a Gun, is the answer to the stones Turd on the Run - a quick boogie rocker. Parkers band is a tribute to Charlie Parker the guitar on Riki is perfect. Every song on the record offers something new and fresh .

Date: May 11, 2007 12:53

There's an element on this board who are obsessed with "a great solo" so I can see why SD would be popular. But please, lets get back to the Rock n Roll!!

Jazz Rock..... what ever next!!

Date: May 11, 2007 12:53

I would also recommend the last of the first four great studio records - kathy lied.

Date: May 11, 2007 12:57

yes back to rock and roll and posing and two note solos and ATTITUDE and clowing around and having a good old time.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: May 11, 2007 12:57

I used to find them heavy going and didn't quite understand where they were coming from, but in recent years I've grown to love them.

Great band.

Date: May 11, 2007 13:05

"yes back to rock and roll and posing and two note solos and ATTITUDE and clowing around and having a good old time."

or the alternative..... 2 hour guitar solo's that two gallons of red bull couldn't keep you awake from.....

Date: May 11, 2007 13:11

Or Just some Vibrato from our Guy named Taylor to glisten to the heavens in melodic wonderment. have a great rock and roll weekend ablett.

Date: May 11, 2007 13:15

I sure may be up in the 'melodic heavens' at some point this weekend but I sure hope ol MT got nowt to do with it.....

Rock on OpenG!!!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 11, 2007 14:04

Steely Dan are bunch of seriously good musicians. Skunk Baxter's guitar work on 'Do It Again' is among one of the great solos.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 11, 2007 14:35

I am looking forward to seeing them tonight at Chastain in Atlanta. One of my favorite bands.

Ross

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: May 11, 2007 14:47

There's good tacos and there is French cuisine: why chose??

Date: May 11, 2007 15:01

Dear ablett,

If SD are not to your taste why please accept $20 and visit another one.
Trust you to introduce Taylor into the "discussion".

There is a track called 'Melody" by the Stones. It's not "Rock and Roll" but we like it.

There's one called "Out of Tears" - ditto.

There's one called "As Tears Go By".

There's one called "Angie".

Need I go on?

For some of the longest and most self indulgent guitar solos, visit Can't Always Get What You Want circa 75-76, or CYHMR circa 2002-03. Mentioning no names! But they work for me.

For one of the shortest, sweetest and most poignant solos, visit Through the Lonely Nights. Mentioning no names!

And for a great grooving circular lead rock riff, visit Reeling in the Years from Can't Buy a Thrill. 1972, I think. Mentioning no band name!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-11 15:02 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: May 11, 2007 16:10

"I don't believe all Aussies are without soul and without appreciation of mood."

Happy to read that. There are 20 million of us you know.

I'm not bored but their dexterity, genius or ingenious, musical competence or anything bar one really - the material. It may have been adventurous, even cutting edge - I agree their music does have mood/s. But there are bad moods as well.

I track forthright down the freeway most mornings playing Mozart's clarinet concerto in A major Ks 622 and 581 as the 'mood' here (for me at least) is right in the zone.

Conversely I travel home thumping Stones, Beatles, Who, Doors, Mellencamp, Zeppelin or AC/DC on some of those same days. Once again mood/zone. I appreciate many styles of music - Steely Dan's just ain't one of them.

kyle m

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 11, 2007 16:20

Here was the Memphis setlist:

Two Against Nature
Bad Sneakers
Time Out of Mind
Caves of Altamira
Janie Runaway
Hey Nineteen
Monkey in Your Soul - Walter vocals
Peg
Green Earrings
Josie
Babylon Sisters
Dirty Work - by the girls
Godwhacker
Do it Again
Kid Charlemagne

encore
Bodhisattva

Date: May 11, 2007 16:28

Crack on Four Stone Walls but I didn't originaly mention MT it was one of his select disciples?

Its good to see you managed to find 6 songs that are suposedly in the same vein?

How big is the stones canon???

And I think you'd be hard pushed to compare any stones solo as being self indulgent in comparison to the dreaded progjazzrockmumbojumbo.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home