Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Which Album Was Your First & Why Did You Get Hooked?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 25, 2007 02:05

I saw that some guys had LYL as their first and I was wondering what on it hooked them. Because it could be considered not so strong. If one of us were trying to recruit a new Stoner, obviously we wouldn't play them a medley of Dirty Work/Emotional resuce e.g.
My first was "Between the Buttons". I was a kid and the best thing was the way theyu looked on the front cover. I was very intersted. I liked most all the songs; especially the melodic ones like y"Yesterday's Papers", "Back Street Girl" and "Who's been sleeping Here". Lyrics meant nothing to me. But I was totally convinced as far as the Stones went.
The biggest thing I did next was to read two Stonesbooks. The grey Dalton book; the one with the sheetmusic in the back that only goes up to Exile. One of the best books on the Stones. And I also read an account on Altamont. This was a whole book. It was completely mysterious. I was still a little kid. No idea where or what Alatamont was. That is wher I firts heard all those songtitles. I was in love with those ultracool titles. "Little Queenie", "Love in Vain", "Jumping Jack Flash". I needed to get to know this stuff.
Got Exile and YaYa's next.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-25 02:16 by ChelseaDrugstore.

Re: Which Album Was Your First & Hy Did You Get Hooked?
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 25, 2007 02:14

The first album I got was GYYYO. It still consider it their best album.

Re: Which Album Was Your First & Why Did You Get Hooked?
Posted by: hailtothestones ()
Date: April 25, 2007 02:20

As a young stones fan it was Flashpoint. Start me Up, YCAGWYW, Sympathy. Ahhh set me on a quick path to stoneship

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 25, 2007 02:22

Got Goats Head for my 13th birthday - really liked "100 Years Ago", still do. Became a full-fledged freak with Black and Blue, still am.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: Which Album Was Your First & Hy Did You Get Hooked?
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 25, 2007 02:22

At the age of 8-9 my dad made a tape of his old 'Big Hits - High tide and Green Grass' LP for me, and apart from 'Have You seen Your Mother...' and 'Get Off Of My Cloud' I absolutely hated it. I think the reason why I got hooked, was that every time I rewinded the tape in order to find the songs I liked, I got to listen to the tracks that came before and after, and I got to like these as well, and from there their music just grew on me, and still does

The first Stones record I bought was 'Their Satanic Majesties...' on vinyl(not with the real 3D cover though) as a 15 year old. I was at that time pretty interested in psychedelic music, so it was kind of natural to get this one.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: April 25, 2007 02:49

Hot Rocks.
It was the early 70's and I was hooked by Brown Sugar on the radio.
I also saw the movie Gimme Shelter on the NY television stations and I was mesmerized, by Keith in particular.
Beggars Banquet was next and then maybe Ya Ya's.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: April 25, 2007 03:12

it was forty licks..shame on me i know but i'm young!
then came Sticky Fingers..then Their Satanic Majesties Request..then ALL the rest! still love them as the first day.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 25, 2007 03:53

The London Years was not only the first stones album I bought, but also the first cd I bought. I wanted it for the titles I didnt recognize or wanted to hear the stones version of: come on, I wanna be your man, little red rooster, etc. I foolishly gave away the first copy I had of it to a cousin when i bought the SACD version to complete my collection. Now I wish i still the original cd considering it had different versions/mixes of some of the songs then the SACD one.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 25, 2007 03:54

High Tides and Green Grass - The Last Time(1966). I started playing the guitar then and I could stop listening to it !!!

Seeing them on The Ed Sullivan fueled my fire as well.

Hey, did Mick invented the moonwalk ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-25 04:00 by custom55.

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: April 25, 2007 04:07

Get Yer Ya Ya's out....followed by Sticky Fingers, when I was 13...nuff said??

Posted by: Bingo the 2nd ()
Date: April 25, 2007 06:13

forligan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get Yer Ya Ya's out....followed by Sticky Fingers,
> when I was 13...nuff said??

That sounds about right. smiling smiley

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: April 25, 2007 06:25

the first stones album I heard was Aftermath. I found it in my father's record collection around 1975. The first albums I bought were High Tide and Green Grass and GYYYO.

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: April 25, 2007 10:03

GYYYO!! Back iin 1990 when I was 15, I found it my dads record collection. JJF totally got he hooked. Couldn't stop listening!!

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: April 25, 2007 10:06

My brother brought me back 'Out of our Heads' from Germany.

Became hooked on Mercy, Cry to me etc.

Different version that the UK LP.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 25, 2007 10:22

About the same time I read a nearly 10 pages report by HOBO (László Földes) about The Rolling Stones live in Zagreb in a Hungarian periodical, I saw in Hungarian TV the 1976 Paris gig, and finally I got Love You Live on cassette. I felt something very special: THE STONES MAGIC !!!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 25, 2007 10:56

Love you live. Actually there were some songs before that, PIB, Mercy Mercy, Last time. And later the studio version of JJF which I didnt know about, I thought it should sound like the LYL version.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: April 25, 2007 11:01

First album I owned was the Rewind 1971-1984 collection.
But I became really hooked by Dirty Work (at the age of 16) which may sound strange to some of the posters here. Anyway, I still dig 3-4 songs off Dirty Work and I must admit that I have been always disappointed by their more recent work (but, of cause, discovered the back catalogue which more than makes up for that).

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 25, 2007 11:27

Goats first.
Got struck in 72-73 by the overall impression
of the Stones coolness & rough attitude.
The final *dangggg!* occured as late as in 88 with Goats.
That time was a Dark age for r & r, mid-80s..
But GHS did get me back on track.

Always returned to Stones, have wonderful slices of memories
like when we dance like mad to Go-Go & JJF in Spain back in 82
on the discoteques.. Or similar experiences with
2,000 LYFH & Sympathy...

Posted by: stonesfan ()
Date: April 25, 2007 11:43

I bought my first LP in august 1964,it was the Decca Mono record "Greatest Hits" DU 175000,witch is only released in the Netherlands.
In those days,it means war at home,my parents where ashamed,their son liked that rubish, now my father respect me,cause I still love it.
john

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: April 25, 2007 12:52

Get Stoned, TV advertised compilation in 1977.

I always liked live albums, so Get Stoned was closely followed by Love You Live (which remains my favourite official live album). After that I was hooked.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: April 25, 2007 13:15

sorry of being lazy. I copied an earlier thread of mine. I think, however, it suits to this topic. Here you go:

The most unforgettable moment with the Stones
Posted by: wesley (IP Logged)
Date: June 8, 2006 19:09

There are so many good options, for example

In a record shop
My first Stones record was Hot rocks. After listening it I went to the same store and put Sticky Fingers, Exile, Their Satanic, More Hot Rocks, Goats Head soup, IORR and Beggars B on the desk. The guy behind the desk asked if I wanted his opinion of which of these should I buy. “No” I said, “I want them all”. Should have seen his face..

Very late night after bars are closed
Two friends of mine stayed for that night with me. Someone of us (might have been me.. can´t remember for sure..) decided have a video party (VHS, late 80`s). Only capable one was from Stones tour 1981. After playing it three times (..as far as I remember..) we noticed it was already 10 o´clock a.m. It took quite a while my neighbours started saying hello again.

Live
First gig was Urban Jungle Tour 1990: everything so exciting, new, big. Highlights all the time, perhaps the best memories from the superb lightshow within 2000 Light Years, huge tower in Sympathy..
Voodoo gig presented a couple of good new songs (I go wild and You got me rocking)
Bridges was fine too, my highlights were surprisingly good Out of control and Gimme Shelter.
40 Licks offered a brilliant set list, and on B-stage very raw versions of Respectable and my favourite Stones song Street FM.

Not so hard for me to decide that the first Stones gig has been the most unforgettable moment in my history! Is it the same with you?

Wesley

Posted by: siggy16 ()
Date: April 25, 2007 13:29

Voodoo Lounge when i was 8 winking smiley

Date: April 25, 2007 14:13

Chelsea Drugstore: I still have that old grey covered book with the Stones music in the back. That was my Stones bible for many years. I still look through it on occasion.

Terraplane: My first Stones album was also Got Live if You Want It. Horribly recorded but perfect nontheless. I got it in 1968 and it's still my favorite of their live albums. The LP version of Time is on My Side sounds much better than the cassette and CD versions. In fact the mono LP is the best of all versions. All of the sound is jumbled into one dense frenetic wall of sound.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2007 14:45

My dad has been a Stones fan as long as I can remember. It wasn't an album that got me turned on. It was a concert (Copenhagen 1998). First album that got me hooked was Vooodoo Lounge.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: April 25, 2007 14:53

The first album I ever heard was Aftermath (US version, bought upon release by one of my sisters) and it's also the one that got me hooked... somehow, as a little kid. Reasons are many. Mostly I'd say the harmonica (my dad played folkloric harmonica, but those sounds here were VERY special, sometimes even creepy in Going Home). And the weird acoustic instruments (dulcimer, 12-string guitar, harpsichord). And the blues, which I had never heard before that... All things as a whole that separated them from your regular pop group.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 25, 2007 14:54

> Which Album Was Your First

This one...a TV advertised compilation on Arcade Records in 1977

> Why Did You Get Hooked?

Easiest question I've ever been asked - because it was fu_cking brilliant. The advert for it was pretty captivating too. I recall it included a brief clip of the JJF promo. Thats good enough to entice any impressionable 14 year old on it's own right there.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2007 15:00

Gazza maybe ya heard 'em resonating from
the Crawdaddy Club all the way to Ireland on that fine day in '63...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 25, 2007 15:03

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Which Album Was Your First
>
> This one...a TV advertised compilation on Arcade
> Records in 1977

..of which the photo montage, on the inside ofthe gatefold, captivated me as a 7 year old, pouring over my fathers record collection....

and has not stopped captivating me since.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 25, 2007 15:18

Richard I also still look at those old books. They are by far my favorite. There are several of them: that Roy Carr book, the oversized, out-of print one. The Dalton book. Love them!
I love that story by wesley who goes in and buys half the catalogue LOL!
What I must confess is that at very first I was most intrigued with how the Stones looked. It was the pictures that were by far the most intersting to me. I mean I was very small; about 7 or 8. The covers, the magazines were by far the biggest reason the Stones at first became my favorite band. And from Day 1 I wanted to look like Keith.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 25, 2007 16:00

My first was an old tape of my mother's - Rolled Gold. Actually I got hooked by Jaggers voice: I found it very annoying, almost unlistenable, yet addictive. That love hate thing. What came next I can't exactly remember.

I know that by 82 I was totally committed (I wanted to escape from home and go to Napoli to see them!).

Before that, sometime, I bought Tattoo You, but it was a "mistake". I had seen some movie with a song I liked - later I found out it was steppenwolf's born to be wild - and went to the record shop to buy the record. Since I did not know the title, I started singing the guitar part Taaa Ta Ta Ta etc. The man must have thought that I was singing start me up - cause he gave me Tattoo You. The hand of fate!!!

Anyway I loved those years (82 and following) because a part from Rolled Gold, I had no Idea of what the past of the stones was. The stones were Tatttoo, Undercover, Still Life, jaggers football outfit, dirty work. I can remember how sad I was when the stones did not play Live Aid as a band!

First taste of the "golden years" was the made in the shade compilation and goats head soup (which I thought was also a compilation), but it wasn't until the cd era that I really got into all the old stuff.

However the Tattoo you - Dirty Work strip is still my personal golden era!

C

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1302
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home