Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Zepplin Groovin on How the West Was Won
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 27, 2007 14:28

Jimmy Pages tone is to die for and who cares about some sloppy playing he takes chances and you want to listen to his playing the whole band is awesome on

whole lotta love,Boogie Chillin,Lets have a Party,Hello Marylou,going, from How The West Was One.

[download.yousendit.com]

Also Pages solo on the ocean is brilliant his change of pace solo interlude is to die for and his tone.Jimmy was more then just a guitar slinger a genius in the studio and on acoustic using open tunings before Keith did when he was a session studio player. Listen To Slash's solo from Welcome To The Jungle he is doing his best Jimmy Page .

Re: OT - Zepplin Groovin on How the West Was Won
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 27, 2007 14:34

It's a cool album.
By the way, I always wondered - on Black Dog, he suddenly plays the riff in a key that doesn't sound right. Sounds like he started on the wrong fret. Or does he want to play it like that?

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 27, 2007 14:43

Its a good album but the lllloooooonnnnggggg jamming you could do with out!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 27, 2007 14:50

at least there is no posing or two note JAMS LOL

Date: April 27, 2007 15:17

Thankfully the Stones never fell into the 15 minute drum solo's or endless guitar solo's that prattle on for the sake of it either LOL!!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 27, 2007 15:22

The jamming in Dazed an Confused is incredible good. Walter´s Walk and the Crunge...impressive stuff. Don´t mean to be rude, but imagine Charlie on that one, he would´ve been carried out on a stretcher after half a minute.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 27, 2007 15:33

I read somewhere that How the west was won was made as a jigsaw puzzle of bits and pieces taken from different shows. Solos from one take cut and pasted in another one and so on and on. Apparently there are very few songs that were left untouched.

That said, I gotta say that I absolutely LOVE LZ and pages guitar work. But no use to compare them/him with the stones and keith. They were all great in their own way.

Plus from what I hear on LZ boots they were a mighty sloppy band just like the stones were and all the rest.

C

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 27, 2007 15:44

I know LZ fans will not like this, but I never liked LZ live. It got very empty with one guitar, and especially when Page would start to solo. Course it depends on the song, but even a standard like Rock'n Roll really needed 2 guitars. I love the "Physical Graffiti" Zeppelin when it is full.
Today Live albums have become very unpopular because of just that reason; music is recorded so big and produced so much that reproducing it live is not easy.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: April 27, 2007 15:50

The only official live album I know for sure is totally without overdubs and cutting and pasting is Deep Purple´s Made in Japan.

Date: April 27, 2007 15:52

Live at leeds??? The Who

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 27, 2007 15:55

Rage against the Machine Live?
Kick Out the Jams, MC5?
Lou Reed Live

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: April 27, 2007 17:02

Rod Stewart´s "Absolutely Live" as well

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: April 27, 2007 17:11

To OpenG: what I like about that medley you mention (in Whole Lotta Love) is that... it's not really a medley! AFAICT, they actually perform COMPLETE versions of those old time numbers, right in the middle of the 70s heavy weight classic. And the medley "tradition" calls for excerpts instead. I think it took some guts... I love this performance, and Plant's voice is perfect for that R&B/rockabilly style.

To ChelseaDrugstore: I am wildly ambivalent re. Led Zeppelin as a live band, which I have never seen myself in flesh but only from those records (and also the feature film, upon release) and the official DVD.

I hate the Dazed & Confused jam - every single f%$@!ng version of it I managed to live through! - and the violin bow experiments played against Plant trying to emulate the bowing sounds and improvise (ahem)...

What I have heard is, yes, quite centered on Page and Bonham, after all, which at 3 hours +... Of course they're fantastic, but the juice runs out at some point, and here and there...

OTOH, I'm in awe before what Page and Zeppelin created in the studio. THIS is in the major league for sure!...

I feel about the same (live vs. studio) with a very different band from the old days: Gentle Giant. I absolutely adore this group and have seen them live quite a few times. But for me there is, nor has there ever been, just nothing in the world like their studio records!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 27, 2007 18:53

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its a good album but the lllloooooonnnnggggg
> jamming you could do with out!

Agreed! Especially the long medleys such as on Whole Lotta Love. Sometimes I forget what song they are actually doing until they finish up!

They could do a "whole lotta" more tunes if they skipped all that jamming!

Date: April 27, 2007 19:05

Exactly, I've never been one for all that twiddling nonscence. Thank god for punk!!

Posted by: HoldOnToYourHat ()
Date: April 27, 2007 19:16

I like the medley, specially Hello Marylou, but did you know that they are taken from diff shows? Its interesting, HM was from one of the LA shows, Lets Have a Party from the other. Songs like Black Dog have awful solos because its soo thin sounding and sloppy, but the Ocean, Rock an Roll, Stairway, OTHAFA, all sound fine throughout. Some tracks just don't work live with one guitar + sloppy playing, the most obvious IMO Black Dog.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: April 27, 2007 19:18

Jimmy Page has the quickest right hand in the biz.

Date: April 27, 2007 19:46

>Jimmy Page has the quickest right hand in the biz.<

No. If we stick to rock music, have you ever heard Jan Akkerman?

Date: April 27, 2007 20:01

No I haven't.

Date: April 27, 2007 20:06

Akkerman used to be the guitarist from the Dutch progrock group Focus, in the 70s (they toured recently but with another guitar player).

If you like your guitarmen to be of the take-some-wild-chances, s$%t-hitting-the-fan-big-time variety, you are in for a little bit of shock with this guy!

Date: April 27, 2007 21:07

This is good stuff, Akkerman was voted best rock guitarist in 1973, I think.

Date: April 27, 2007 21:20

Ahhhhh...Focus...yes, I guess I do know him. Their famous song Hocus Pocus.

Thanks, I should dig up some Focus and give it a listen again.thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-27 21:27 by Bingo.

Date: April 27, 2007 21:24

Great God, that that was some hot version of Hocus Pocus!! Thanks !!

Pierre Van Der Linden is also a fabulous, underrated drummer!

Date: April 27, 2007 21:29

Even got me stuttering for a while!

Hey Bingo, hope you have "Focus III"! "Moving Waves" is beautiful also, but it's on the "III" that Akkerman (and Linden too) really takes off and smokes blind just everyone daring to sit around!

The CD of "Focus III" is not easy to find. But grab the double LP if you're into this...

Date: April 27, 2007 21:40

And "Live at the Rainbow" is great. Akkerman plays some incredible things on that.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 27, 2007 21:49

Bingo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jimmy Page has the quickest right hand in the biz.

Oh, you mean on the guitar?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1458
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home