Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My Favourite Albums: A bit of a SHOCKER! What made you fall in love?
Posted by: guy ()
Date: April 18, 2007 14:06

1/ Black and Blue, because it's funky, diverse, it's got the epic(almost Memory motel), Hand of Fate, up there as a truly great rocker, and the funks of Hot Stuff, and the spiky Hey Negrita.

2/ Goats Head Soup for the glorious Winter, and 100Years Ago, and the whole album feel.

3/ ABB for the whole album, particularly LMDS, ONNYA, TPIE,BM, LIND, only 1 I think is a non starter is DB, but lovely feel.

4/ Let It Bleed for all of it and YGTS.

5/ Sticky Fingers, particularly for Sway and the glorious MT guitar, and CYHMK jam etc...

I rarely, if ever listen to Tatto You, it's a patchwork quilt, i say that coz it's true, never ER, even tho SSC and ER I have affection for, Some Girls was my 1st "new" RS album, and I rarely listen to it, even though I love many if not all the tracks, so can't explain that, Undercover I bought on CD recently, don't think that much of it, fond of TMB, love SWH live, DW I like the title track and the other long rock track, used to like 1 Hit, but not bothered, it's a bit contrived, never listen to Stripped, altho I know people rave about it, I find it a bit lame, prefer the bootleg version, better and more interesting tracks, always enjoy LYL, love SFM, BOB, and WTWCD from LIVE LICKS, have VL, and love a lot of it, particularly wished I played it more often...

I love much of their 60s work, but don't oftenplay it, still love Aftermath coz MLH was the 1st real song that MADE ME FALL IN LOVE WITH THE STONES, really and truly I love them NOW, rather than in the past, and can't wait to see them again!

Re: My Favourite Albums: A bit of a SHOCKER! What made you fall in love?
Posted by: roddles74 ()
Date: April 18, 2007 14:35

"GHS" definitely...spooky, right from the start. The perfected "muddy" sound unlike any other album. I bought it the day the Pope came to Australia in June (?) 1986. Being a Catholic I felt incredibly naughty! Loved the gatefold cover and the photo of Billy.

Thank you Nicky Hopkins!

Rod

Posted by: john r ()
Date: April 18, 2007 15:24

I FIRST fell in love w/ the Stones thanx to "Through the Past, Darkly," which I got for xmas at age 10. The cover helped convey what it was about, especially in relation to the pictures of the Beatles on "Abbey Road" & "Hey Jude"...But the RS didn't become my main squeeze 'til later, and partly my investigating the work (til I finally decided I had to get the EARLY albums too) was inspired by what people wrote about them & the records...
1 Exile (it took its time, and revealing itself, maybe 6 mos, and kept getting better...)
2 Now!
3 Sticky
4 Some Girls (tho I love the sound and playing on Emotional Rescue, which gives me nearly as much pleasure tho SG is 'better' if I think about it - also dig the effortless range and perfect structure of Tattoo, which has no right to be as great as it is. Glad Sonny Rollins showed up for that one)
I dig almost all of them, except LYL, Steel Wheels (the sound, the slickness), and IORR is one of the worst sounding albums by a major band I ever heard. Lumpy and airless. Guess it proved they could 'still rock' post GHS.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: April 18, 2007 21:47

The British Aftermath and Ya Yas are still my favorates.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 18, 2007 22:02

Black and Blue for me too. I thought I was the only one.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 18, 2007 22:15

Gotta admit, I am a bit of a newbie...didnt get into the Stones until 1965....Satisfaction did it for me.

JR

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 19, 2007 00:11

heard time is on my side on the radio; saw them lip-synch it on tv...that was it.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:39

12 X 5

My older brother played it when I was about 4 years old. When I started to get interested in music years later, it was that groove that grabbed me. If they do Around and Around or It's All Over Now in London (on the 23rd, boys, if you're reading) I'll probably cry like a girl.

Oh man, just flipped the album on - I think I wet myself!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:57

I wouldn't consider it my favorite ablum but I do have a spcecial place for ABB because It came out when I decided to change my major in college. It was a hard descision to make but I knew it was the right one. And so I had this new stones album, so of course I was listening to it a lot at the time. So, those songs always remind me of that time when I felt a new kind of independcence.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:59

1.Black & Blue
2.Some Girls
3.Emotional Rescue
4.Sticky Fingers
5.A Bigger Bang

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 02:50

Some Girls was my first album...
Exile next and I was hooked!
Let it Bleed
Beggars B
Sticky Fingers

(Get Yer Ya Yas and Love you Live as well!)

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 06:03

Exile was the one that really did it for me. I already loved the Stones but Exile On Mainstreet made them my #1 favorite band. "Torn and Frayed" was the song that really hooked me right from the get-go and then "Loving Cup" and "Let It Loose" and all the rest.....I love 'em all.

I love all their albums. Some more than others obviously but Exile will always be my all time favorite. It changed the way I listened to music. Don't know if I would be making too much of an overstatement in saying that it changed my life.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: April 19, 2007 09:10

About 2 years ago I popped 40 Licks in the CD player just to hear something different. I had heard the Stones before but I never really payed that much attention to them. I thought it was pretty good and pretty soon I kept listening to it more and more. Exile and LIB were my first albums. I thought they were nice, nothing special, but I kept playing them and they both grew on me.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 19, 2007 09:23

SomeTorontoGirl....careful it can be messy

Maybe all Toronto girls are the same...
GiantWhore was from that same town and she's one funky gal

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: April 19, 2007 09:35

I was a zep freak,but when 78 rolled around and i got Some Girls at the age of 13,it change for me tword's the Stones. ,Then later that year i was into YA YA"s. Then when i got into high school, i reverted back to all there early stuff from English newest hit maker's to rolling Stones Now,which i thought Now was terrible,but were talking record player's. I still have all the early stuff on vinyl.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 19, 2007 12:42

What originally made me fall in love wasn't an album at all, but a glorious string of hit singles from 1963 - 69 (represented on CD by the London Years Singles Collection). Favourite albums from that period: 12 x 5 and Between The Buttons.

Goats Head Soup - love at first listen right from the opening of Dancing With Mr. D.

ABB - because it was ABB that got me rediscovering the Stones after a longish absence, and finding that not only were they still around, they could still make that wonderful noise!

"Next thing you know, way down the road..."

Posted by: turnersmemo ()
Date: April 19, 2007 20:57

1. Beggars Banquet. When I was younger i only liked the rockers on it, SFTD and SCB. Rediscovered this album recently, my current favorites are No Expectations and Jigsaw Puzzle.

2. Around And Around. Doesn't count perhaps, because it is a compilation, but it is a great collection of early stones songs. Best songs: Title track, Empty heart and Good Times, Bad Times

3. Their Satanic Majesties Request. Must admit that I didn't like it much at first, but i love most of it now especially 2000 man, The Lantern and 2000 Lightyears.

4. Undercover. My first Stones Album. Love it because of It Must be Hell, Tie You Up and Undercover Of The Night

5. Let It Bleed. Everything on it is just great.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 21:06

I became a Stones fan in 1966 when my sister bought Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass).

I must have listened to "The Last Time" ( 1000+ times that year ). One of the first songs I played on the guitar.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 19, 2007 21:15

The Golden 4 and the Glam 70's are all without peers, but my sentimental favorite will always be "Between the Buttons"

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home