Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Will Werchter remain the tour opener?
Posted by: Tobias ()
Date: April 17, 2007 00:03

Ticket sales are going very slow in Belgium (less than thirty percent of available tickets have been sold) and I wonder if Werchter will remain the tour opener. I cannot imagine that they will kick off in front of a field that is half empty! The same conclusion applies to Nijmegen, according to the News Section on the Dutch fansite 'Shattered'.

The band did not really succeed in attracting huge press attention either (as was certainly the case in 1995, and to a lesser extent also in 1998 and 2003).

The presales for the postponed show in the King Baudouin Stadium (Brussels, planned on June 2, 2006) -on the contrary- went very fast in December 2005. Many fans (including myself) have lost confidence and wait to see what happens ... Sad, but true.

Re: Will Werchter remain the tour opener?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 17, 2007 02:20

No worries. If they don't sell it out they will probably give away the rest to homeless people. I have heard it a thousand times. Shosw not selling out. But every time I get there it is a great show with a great crowd.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 17, 2007 02:54

.....I worked with a guy named Will Werchter....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-17 08:33 by Lukester.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 17, 2007 03:54

first Will Werchter...later Paris Hilton - oh dear...

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: April 17, 2007 04:39

That would be a long way to truck homeless people out to Werchter! :>)

Date: April 17, 2007 09:06

They truck people anyway, because nobody lives out there, except for a cow and a horse may be.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: April 17, 2007 10:10

Tobias mentions a problem which I also noticed here in Germany:
for making no spectacular press conference and even not an interview with ALL band members, press didn't really grap this topic (new tour). Only Keith's sniffing-story brought them into the newspapers.
And what the hell should people buy tickets, if they don't know that there es a tour. I'm sure that many, many people who are actually interested to visit a show, are not informed yet. That should change if they want good packed stadiums or fields.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 17, 2007 10:25

open-g Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> first Will Werchter...later Paris Hilton - oh
> dear...

How about Felix FRANKFURTer -- one of the great legal minds of our generation.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 17, 2007 11:14

Tobias wrote

(A) "The presales for the postponed show in the King Baudouin Stadium (Brussels, planned on June 2, 2006) -on the contrary- went very fast in December 2005. Many fans (including myself) have lost confidence and wait to see what happens ... Sad, but true."

Why "sad"? What you say (people waiting to see whether the gig will take place) does explain why the sales will probably be faster later...

(cool smiley "I cannot imagine that they will kick off in front of a field that is half empty!"

In 1998 they did, in Werchter, two sellouts with 95,000 tickets. That means 47,500 each gig. I mean, fields as concert venues are giving a decent picture, even if the crowd is much smaller than the real capacity.

Posted by: siggy16 ()
Date: April 17, 2007 12:22

bv Wrote:
> They truck people anyway, because nobody lives out
> there, except for a cow and a horse may be.

Well, i live a mile away from the werchter festival spot and i'm pretty sure this is a well populated area winking smiley

Actually the town is called 'Rotselaar' and 'Werchter' is just a small part of it, but who cares anyway grinning smiley

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: April 17, 2007 13:16

European tour opener on a field in the middle of nowhere! Oh boy!

stickydion wrote:
>In 1998 they did, in Werchter, two sellouts with 95,000 tickets. That means >47,500 each gig. I mean, fields as concert venues are giving a decent picture, >even if the crowd is much smaller than the real capacity.

wasn't that in 95? Just compare the ticket prices....

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 17, 2007 13:54

No, rknuth that was in 1998. June. It was the #2 and #3 concert of the european tour's leg. Nuremberg was #1. And yes, i know the difference between the prices, then and now.

Anyway. IMO the situation would be alarming, if the Stones had these slow sales AFTER promotion's start. But as Tabias and RollingStonesFan say, in Belgium and Germany many people don't even know that the Stones will visit their countries. Yet. But i think that this thing can't endure any longer, unless the promoters are crazy...

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: April 17, 2007 13:54

bv Wrote:
> They truck people anyway, because nobody lives out
> there, except for a cow and a horse may be.

No worries! I remember a show in a Danish field, (I saw cows on my way to the show, but not much else...) in the middle of almost nowhere... "Only" 85.000 people turned up, and the show was sold out in two days. This show was of course Horsens - one of the best on the 2006 Bigger Bang tour.

Posted by: siggy16 ()
Date: April 17, 2007 14:06

Werchter is very close to all of the big cities in Belgium so that shouldn't hold anyone back, just a lot of competition around that time (The Who, Lou Reed, Bryan Adams, loads of festivals, etc..). But I'm absolutely sure it'll be sold out in the end.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 17, 2007 15:06

Was at Werchter for 1998 and it was no problem getting there. But it was the middle of nowhere !!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 17, 2007 16:37

hey siggy 16.....do you live near the cow...and maybe the horse? (smile)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 17, 2007 16:51

Who is Will Werchter? What does he sing? Is "Werchter" a song? I'd rather hear "Start Me Up" again. winking smiley

Lukester, tax day is here! Ya made it!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 17, 2007 20:33

Werchter is hot dogs with sauerkraut. Werchter is Stella Artios. Werchter is Simple Minds. Werchter is a show in-between trees. Werchter is the long walk. Werchter will be a great opening show.

Bjornulf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home