Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Billie Holiday special WKCR
Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: April 7, 2007 18:44

This is in the New York time zone.

Listen online...link below.
[www.columbia.edu]

89.9 in NYC area.

Billie Holiday Birthday Broadcast

This Saturday, April 7, WKCR Jazz presents the annual Billie Holiday Birthday Broadcast. From 11 p.m. on Friday evening until 6 a.m. on Sunday morning, WKCR will exclusively air the music of Lady Day, the early pioneer of jazz's vocal tradition.

Born in 1915, Holiday got her first big break when her unique vocal inflection and phrasing earned her recording opportunities for Columbia Records. Her singular talent subsequently led her to records and performances within an incredible variety of contexts, spanning the swing song tradition of the 1930s to the end of her life in 1959, the bleak and mournful to the joyous and ebullient. Though the drama of her turbulent biography often overshadows her creative genius, we at WKCR give prolonged attention to that which guarantees Billie Holiday's continued primary importance: the rich body of her recorded output.

Long ago, it became WKCR tradition to play 24 hours of the music of great jazz innovators on their birthdays; fourteen jazz artists receive this recognition annually. Tune in this Saturday for the Billie Holiday Birthday Broadcast: Lady Day radio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-07 18:56 by Bingo.

Re: OT: Billie Holiday special WKCR
Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: April 7, 2007 20:13

I really like BH. Here voice carries so much power and emotion. Read her autobiography about 10 years ago- another person who's going to heaven cause she already spent her time in hell.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: April 7, 2007 20:40

I like her to..the magazine Uncut..had a cd with Keith Richards personal...favs..its is called''The Devils music''number 11 on this great album is:B holiday''He s Funny That Way''If you want long nights play this album and the two...ahhh...Slag...Lovers and Killers and John phillips'''pay back'' if then you are still awake its Lady day time!!

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 8, 2007 02:35

I love Billie Holiday's singing too, especially the stuff on Columbia from the 30's and 40's, before her voice eventually went downhill from drugs and a hard life. She had the rare gift of expressing so much of herself through her voice. She imitated no one, and no one sounds like Billie.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2007 02:53

AAAhhh go rooster that's a looooooooooooong night but good for the Heart & Soul

ROCKMAN

Date: April 8, 2007 03:02

yes indeed!!!!Cheers!!

Date: April 8, 2007 03:09

Howdy man...keep low to the ground
And hey really need this gem too rooster......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: April 8, 2007 03:21

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Howdy man...keep low to the ground
> And hey really need this gem too rooster......
>
> [i9.photobucket.com]
> IMMERBOY%202/GLIMMERBOY%203/GLIMMERBOY4/TEMPLF.jpg

[www.buy.com]

Date: April 8, 2007 03:22

Yeah..hail the Temps!

Date: April 8, 2007 03:26

There ya go "bingo" to Bingo...

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home