Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

QUESTION: Keith Effects Pedal from early '80s
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 6, 2007 19:02

Anyone remember what the pedal Keith uses on "Little T&A", "She's So Cold", etc. was? I'm thinking digital delay - it gives a tiny bit of slap-back echo.

It was discussed a few months ago in one of the guitar/amp megathreads, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: QUESTION: Keith Effects Pedal from early '80s
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 6, 2007 19:48

Analog Delay - back then at least.
Nowadays they use mega rack systems with most everyhting digitized. Mathijs has some threads going with actual photos of Keith, Ronnie's and Jagger's Rack setup for stage.
But back at the time of the recordings of those songs I clearly remember Keith talking about liking the analog delay.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 6, 2007 20:28

Thanks, Chelsea.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: April 6, 2007 21:37

If you are talking about the live shows '81 & '82 tours...the effect you are hearing is a flanger.

PECMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 6, 2007 21:53

Pecman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are talking about the live shows '81 & '82
> tours...the effect you are hearing is a flanger.
>
> PECMAN

Nope, no flangers were used until at least '83.

The delay effect used from 1978 until 1983 is the MXR Analog Delay. It's a fairly large stomp box with its own power supply. They are fairly noisy, but the delay is truly lucious. You can hear the effect on Hang Fire, Neighbours, She's So Cold, Little T&A and more. Keith was trying to use it early on the 1981 our, but got rid of it for live use after the first couple of shows -apperently he didn't like it.

Nowadays Keith uses the Fulltone tape delay as was posted on this board some weeks ago. This Fulltone delay is THE industry standard nowadays.

Mathijs

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: April 6, 2007 22:11

Not talking about the delay...talking about the effect...2 different things.
As you probably know, delays are timing based...effects are sound based.

Listen to Beast of Burden Live '81 and "Shattered '81"...clearly has a flange on the guitar.

I'm not sure what you mean by flangers weren't used until '83? They didn't tour again until '89.

It's all good...the bottom line is Keith is no fan of effects boxes anyway.

PECMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 6, 2007 22:43

Pecman Wrote:
> Not talking about the delay...talking about the
> effect...2 different things.
> As you probably know, delays are timing
> based...effects are sound based.

No, that isn't true. Basically there are four diferent effects: time based (delay, reverb, flangers), phase and/or EQ shift (phasers, wah's etc.), pitch shifters (moogs, harmonizers, envelope followers) and clipping (distortions, overdrives). Then there's combinations like the chorus effect which is a combination between delay and phase shift. Of course there's the daddy of them all, the tremelo efect is volume based.

Delay is a true effect, a true time based effect. Flanging is an time based delay effect, where the original signal is split in two signals and one signal then is delayed with about 20 ms.

>
> Listen to Beast of Burden Live '81 and "Shattered
> '81"...clearly has a flange on the guitar.

That's phasing, achieved with a MXR Phase 100. Phasing is achieved by splitting a signal in at least two signals and then altering certain frequency "notches"in time. When the two signals are out of phase, a swooshing sound is heard.

>
> I'm not sure what you mean by flangers weren't
> used until '83? They didn't tour again until
> '89.

As far as I know flangers where not used until the recording of Undercover, where the effect is used on percussion and guitars like in Feel on baby and Too Much Blood.

>
> It's all good...the bottom line is Keith is no fan
> of effects boxes anyway.

That depends on what you consider "effect boxes". Keith hs used a fair share of efects the last 30 years (chorus, phase, delay, leslie, wah, fuzz, top boost, tremelo, reverb), and his standard amp setup nowadays requires a fair amount of compressors, delays, boosts, EQ's and what more. In fact, any guitarist playing arena's and stadiums needs a profesional set-up to shape the sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 6, 2007 23:23

Pecman Wrote:
>
> It's all good...the bottom line is Keith is no fan
> of effects boxes anyway.
>
> PECMAN

er - I take it you've never heard the stones before!

Ever since the riff in Satisfaction (using fuzz stomp box) elevated the Stones to a new stratosphere, Keith has always used effects. Most of his signature songs and riffs feature effects very heavily.

Take Beast of Burden and a large part of Some Girls album using the Phase 100, Start Me Up or Undercover just wouldn't be the same without the Delay. Listen to the sound of the Leslie speaker for Let It Loose or the tremelo on Gimme Shelter...

A more accurate statement would be to say that Keith isn't a big fan of the OVER USE of effects. In his words, you gotta decide first whether it's a tool or a toy.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 7, 2007 12:57

He used phasers, and very much so in the mid 70s, love that era. The compressor on Hot stuff is also a great example of how he uses effects. Also he seems to be fond of turing down the mid on the amp. In the 70s that is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home