Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

kNOW YOUR AUDIENCE OR JACK IT IN
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 30, 2007 23:10

Really concerned that the boys may well have lost touch with their diehard fan base.I really think its make your mind up time.Who are you playing for?if your reading this from the Stones camp and we know you do,then for god sake play something different:Winter.TWFNO.,SWEET HEARTS,ETC,

Re: kNOW YOUR AUDIENCE OR JACK IT IN
Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: March 30, 2007 23:21

Yes I agree. They are not playing every show for fans who are seeing them for the first time. I can't think of a band with more hits that are familiar to any rock fan's ears. Why they always play the same ones tour after tour is beyond me. They don't seem to really care and feel like they can get away with playing Start Me Up, IORR, Miss YOu and so on every night.. sux

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 31, 2007 01:24

You two are not of the body and you will be absorbed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-31 01:25 by ChrisM.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 31, 2007 09:41

Stargroover wrote:
for god sake play something different:Winter.TWFNO.,SWEET HEARTS,ETC

Normally I would agree except the thought of Ronnie or Keith trying to play the lead lines to Winter or TWFNO is painful. Maybe some other rarities like Turd On The Run, Luxury, Let It Loose, Parachute Woman, etc

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 31, 2007 20:38

The Stones do know their audience very well. They've been doing this for years and are the biggest band in the world for a good reason.

When I saw them both times at Twicks last year the set lists were very different and I had no complaints whatsoever.

Most people like one or two nice surprises per show and seeing as the majority of the stones audience only see one or two shows per tour, the stones current setlist policy is more than adequate.

Not many major bands mix it up like the stones do - even for stadium gigs. For the hardcore fans who want nothing but rarities, the stones sometimes put on club shows. Sometimes they do arenas and that's a good mix of the two.

If you can do better then start your own band and play the most obscure setlists you can think of. I wish you well, but I doubt you'll be playing stadiums in the biggest tour ever.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 31, 2007 20:59

The Rolling Stones only play stadiums - you will only ever get war horses in stadiums, (with the odd exception if you are lucky).
Its still The Rolling Stones playing Rolling Stones songs - if you don't like it, don't go.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 31, 2007 21:12

sjs12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most people like one or two nice surprises per
> show and seeing as the majority of the stones
> audience only see one or two shows per tour, the
> stones current setlist policy is more than
> adequate.

Really? I guess to you it is but how is that you can speak for "most people"? Do you mean most people you know?
>
> Not many major bands mix it up like the stones do
> - even for stadium gigs. For the hardcore fans
> who want nothing but rarities, the stones
> sometimes put on club shows. Sometimes they do
> arenas and that's a good mix of the two.

I don't think you have seen a recent Neil Young show. Also, given that club shows area relatively rare it seems to me that seeing the Stones in this environment is something many will not be able to see which is a pity really.
>
> If you can do better then start your own band and
> play the most obscure setlists you can think of.
> I wish you well, but I doubt you'll be playing
> stadiums in the biggest tour ever.

Come on now, that statement is overly simplistic and misses the point. What's wrong with wanting ones favorite band to play more songs from there rather large catalouge that are rarely played or have never been performed? The core their set list has remained pretty much the same since 1989 so I think playing more obscure songs and pulling some war horses from the set list would be refreshing and reinvigorating not only the audience but for them.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 31, 2007 21:14

Maybe the band doesn't feel comfortable with playing different songs night after night.Maybe they like tp play it safe and that is ok because they still put on a fantastic show.I understand how somebody who has seen them zillions of times can be bored with current setlists but hey not all of us had chance to see them many times.

Posted by: jonnyharris ()
Date: March 31, 2007 21:15

i dont agree at all. Even if you are lucky enough to see the stones for a second time for example you'd still want to hear the hits. I'd be so disappointed if i went to see them and heard some obsecure album tracks. xxx

Date: March 31, 2007 21:23

Yeah, I would be so disappointed not to hear a lot of their greatest classics.I also do hope that they'll play Street fighting man and Gimmie Shelter regularly on the upcoming tour.I missed those two last year in London(second show).

Date: March 31, 2007 21:25

Three or four surprise songs mixed with warhorses is just what the doctor ordered.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: March 31, 2007 21:48

Sure I love to hear some obscure/rare songs. But, if I don't hear Jumpin Jack Flash, I would not be a happy puppy. I am not crazy about Start me up, Miss you, but those maybe somebody elses 'must hear' songs.

I like to get into the music when they come on (like almost all of us), and I enjoy it all. Sometimes, the song you like the least, they totally rip it up (a couple of Satisfactions on this tour have been unbelievably amazing).

Like stones-serb said, three or four surprise songs mixed in is all I am hopeing for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home