Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Album what ifs
Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: March 17, 2007 22:47

It seems to me some of the early Stones records don't get the respect they should. I wonder between leaving some of the key singles off the albums & the fractured way they released the UK/US titles they did a disservice to their back catalogue.

For example imagine if the first LP included Come On, I Wanna Be Your Man & maybe Fortune Teller, would it have been a tour de force for the ages? Maybe lose Now I've got a Witness.

What about Out Of Our Heads. US has Satifaction, UK doesn't. If both versions had this song included would Out of Our Heads get more respect. Same with Aftermath, if Paint It Black was on UK version & both included Long Long While, would this surpass say Rubber Soul!

Add We Love You & Dandelion to Satanic Majesties, would it be better received?

Put JJF & Child of the Moon on Beggars, WOW!! Honky Tonk on Let It Bleed!!

It always amazed me how some of their greatest singles never made it onto a regular release.

Re: Album what ifs
Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: March 17, 2007 23:00

Back then singles were more important than albums. Actually Keith once said that he wished they had released Angie as a single only. I don't remember why but I think it was because the number took away focus from the rest of the album.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 17, 2007 23:46

saturn57 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>> It always amazed me how some of their greatest
> singles never made it onto a regular release.

simple answer is that up until the 70's, artists didnt usually put their singles on albums.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 17, 2007 23:57

>> simple answer is that up until the 70's, artists didnt usually put their singles on albums. <<

in the UK, that is. in the US it was rather expected that the singles would be on albums.
anyway having different UK and US releases isn't peculiar to the Stones,
and in any case i'd say they've done pretty well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-18 13:39 by with sssoul.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 18, 2007 00:01

> Add We Love You & Dandelion to Satanic Majesties,
> would it be better received?
>
> Put JJF & Child of the Moon on Beggars, WOW!!
> Honky Tonk on Let It Bleed!!

I think doing so today as 'bonus tracks' makes sense (not to mention adds actual content to CDs still selling at premium prices for a whoppong 40 minutes pf music).

However - their pre-Aftermath stuff isn't that important anyways - it doesn't matter what album any of it is on, really. Other than the hit singles, the audience for it is very, very small.

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: March 18, 2007 02:34

somewhat OT but: I have the Spanish pressing of Sticky Fingers with Let it Rock instead of Sister Morphine. I guess Franco era censors didnt go for the SM.
does anyone know if there were there any other albums that were released with different songlist due to censorship?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 18, 2007 02:42

voodoocat Wrote:
> somewhat OT but: I have the Spanish pressing of
> Sticky Fingers with Let it Rock instead of Sister
> Morphine. I guess Franco era censors didnt go for
> the SM.
> does anyone know if there were there any other
> albums that were released with different songlist
> due to censorship?

as discussed in a separate thread, Star Star was censored on US releases of GHS, but the only other one I can think of was the Chinese release of "40 Licks" which had four songs removed which the Chinese authorities objected to. I've still been unable to figure out what their objections were to the release (and live performance of, when the band played Shanghai) of 'Beast of Burden'

Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: March 18, 2007 02:52

"am i rich enough" - anethema to communism, perhaps! (though not in its current chinese form, that's for sure!)

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 18, 2007 04:17

> It always amazed me how some of their greatest
> singles never made it onto a regular release.

It also amazes me how some of their best songs were never released as singles. Under My Thumb, Time Waits For No One, Gimme Shelter, Rocks Off and many other great songs never released as singles yet miraculously they are still one of the top ten billboard artists of all time in the U.S..

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 18, 2007 10:23

In Britain in the 60's the Rolling Stones could sell albums easyly without the need to put singles on I must admit I prefered it like that at least then when you bought an album you got an album with all new songs on it .

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 18, 2007 13:05

Leaving singles of the albumrelease was part of the strategy to get the singles high in the charts.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: March 18, 2007 15:51

Leaving singles off albums was mainly done in the UK. THe US LPs included them. Still the English Aftermath was far superior to the US version. Capitol really messed up by releasing the UK Beatle LPs on CD. "Meet the Beatles" started with I Wanna Hold Your Hand and I Saw Her Standing There while "With the Beatles" is all album cuts, plus Americans can't get the albums we remember on CD. Not smart marketing.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 18, 2007 16:54

voodoocat Wrote:
> somewhat OT but: I have the Spanish pressing of
> Sticky Fingers with Let it Rock instead of Sister
> Morphine. I guess Franco era censors didnt go for
> the SM.
> does anyone know if there were there any other
> albums that were released with different songlist
> due to censorship?

To answer your question, according to the great Rolling Stones A-Z book from 1984, Spain was the only country to f*ck with the track order, although another country (might also be Spain?) subtituted the jeans cover with a 'less offensive (???) can of bloody, severed human fingers.

Date: March 31, 2007 05:48

What if I took a Shit and Died what does it matter now!!!!

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: March 31, 2007 06:54

totally agree with saturn57. leaving those tracks off those albums hurts them in the long-run. beggars' banquet with jjf+child of the moon on it makes a masterpiece into an incredible world-changing statement...not that it wasn't already, but...god! in the short-run, of course, releasing the single separately in those days assured that fans would be forced to buy the single because they knew it was the only way to get it. smart marketing and short term profits, the kind of profits accountants demand. but it diminishes the albums in the long-term.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 31, 2007 07:16

JaggerFan Wrote:
> > Add We Love You & Dandelion to Satanic
> Majesties,
> > would it be better received?
> >
> > Put JJF & Child of the Moon on Beggars, WOW!!
> > Honky Tonk on Let It Bleed!!
>

I've always felt that Let it Bleed, with HTW on it, would have been right up there w/Sgt Peppers, or Pet Sounds (or Exile) when people mention the greatest albums every made. It probably already is, but slot HTW right at the beginning and look at the album. I still include Country Honk right before YCAGWYW, which is the perfect song to close the album. Try reprogramming your CD player.

Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
Love In Vain
Live With Me
Let It Bleed
Midnight Rambler
You Got the Silver
Monkey Man
Country Honk
You Can't Always Get What You Want

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home