Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Neil Young Live At Massey Hall, 1971
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 14, 2007 06:22

I picked this up today and just finished watching and listening to the DVD portion of this set and I have to say it's really quite good. A great performance, sound and presentation showcasing a brilliant muscian in his prime.

The Beatles and Bob Dylan as well have dipped into their archives and have given their fans great live performances and outakes from their storied pasts and Bob and Neil still remain relevant arists performing new music today. So the question much on my mind at the moment is this; Keith, Mick what the f-uck are you waiting for???

Re: OT: Neil Young Live At Massey Hall, 1971
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 14, 2007 07:34

Yeah, I have that on Amazon order and hopefully will arrive today/tomorrow. Sounds good, probably my fav. Neil period. I wish he'd put out "Time Fades Away" on CD, his excusses don't wash, I had to make a CD-R off the Vinyl, Pops and all

When will the Stones do it? When they start thinking about the fans a bit more, in other words, NEVER.....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 14, 2007 11:57

Do it actually excist so many very good live-shows left to show from Stones earlier years? Neil Youngs concerts have one hardly seen earlier so it is of course another thing… I'm gonna buy it...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 14, 2007 12:19

What is exact the date of this show? January 19th, 1971?

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 14, 2007 13:53

I just bought it yesterday and listened to it last night. Wonderful stuff from Neil. I'll be playing this CD a lot over the next few weeks.

Yeah, I'm sure The Stones have tons of unreleased material that should and MUST be released for us fans to enjoy.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 14, 2007 14:24

HelterSkelter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, I have that on Amazon order and hopefully
> will arrive today/tomorrow. Sounds good, probably
> my fav. Neil period. I wish he'd put out "Time
> Fades Away" on CD, his excusses don't wash, I had
> to make a CD-R off the Vinyl, Pops and all
>
> When will the Stones do it? When they start
> thinking about the fans a bit more, in other
> words, NEVER.....

I've got a bootleg/pirate CDR made from a rare Reprise promo CD of "Time Fades Away", which was due to come out with the other "missing four" (On The Beach et al). It's properly mixed and remastered and sounds terrific.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 14, 2007 15:01

Come On Wrote:
> Do it actually excist so many very good live-shows
> left to show from Stones earlier years?

Maybe I didn't understand very well your question, but I'd say that we fans don't have anything from the 70-71-72-73 tours. There are very good bootlegs performance-wise out there, and there are very good bootlegs soundwise too, but bootlegs nonetheless.

We'd like to have a professionally recorded and mixed DVD from Wembley Arena 73, for example. Or a professionally mixed MSG 26/07, London Roundhouse 71... The Nicaraguan Benefit Concert...

Many shows to choose...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 14, 2007 15:32

Nikolai Wrote:

g/pirate CDR made from a rare
> Reprise promo CD of "Time Fades Away", which was
> due to come out with the other "missing four" (On
> The Beach et al). It's properly mixed and
> remastered and sounds terrific.

What are the "missing four?"

I picked up some Japanese import CDs of On The Beach and American Stars and Bars at the Tower clearance sale. I think they might have had Times Fades Away as well.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 14, 2007 15:46

THe missing four Neil Young albums have been released on CD about 2 years ago I believe it was. It was great to finally finish my Neil Young collection.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 14, 2007 15:50

Nikolai Wrote:
> HelterSkelter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah, I have that on Amazon order and hopefully
> > will arrive today/tomorrow. Sounds good,
> probably
> > my fav. Neil period. I wish he'd put out "Time
> > Fades Away" on CD, his excusses don't wash, I
> had
> > to make a CD-R off the Vinyl, Pops and all
> >
> > When will the Stones do it? When they start
> > thinking about the fans a bit more, in other
> > words, NEVER.....
>
>
> I've got a bootleg/pirate CDR made from a rare
> Reprise promo CD of "Time Fades Away", which was
> due to come out with the other "missing four" (On
> The Beach et al). It's properly mixed and
> remastered and sounds terrific.

I had that (TFA) on cassette yeeeeears ago. Don't know what happened to it. Is Journey Through the Past on CD?

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: March 14, 2007 15:53

loog droog Wrote:
> Nikolai Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> g/pirate CDR made from a rare
> > Reprise promo CD of "Time Fades Away", which
> was
> > due to come out with the other "missing four"
> (On
> > The Beach et al). It's properly mixed and
> > remastered and sounds terrific.
>
> What are the "missing four?"
>
>
> I picked up some Japanese import CDs of On The
> Beach and American Stars and Bars at the Tower
> clearance sale. I think they might have had Times
> Fades Away as well.

Trust me, they didn't. I think "Time Fades" basically smokes "On The Beach," "Stars'n Bars," "Hawks And Doves" and "ReAcTor"--the (now-formerly) "missing four." But Neil insists it's no good and that the sound doesn't meet his standards, blah, blah, blah, so along with the "Journey Through The Past" soundtrack, "Time Fades" (with the others, they used to comprise the famous "missing six") remains unreleased.

I'm enjoying Massey pretty well, but must say that my real excitement is being saved for what he has described as the next volume in the "Performance Series"--a London, 1973 "Tonight's The Night" show.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 14, 2007 15:58

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> THe missing four Neil Young albums have been
> released on CD about 2 years ago I believe it was.
> It was great to finally finish my Neil Young
> collection.

Not "Time Fades Away.: I had to transfer mine from vinyl to CD.

I'm looking forward to "Massey Hall." I've had an exceptional vinyl boot from that tour, recorded in LA eleven days after Massey, since I was in middle-school (I turn 50 in two months). That boot was my Neil "primer."

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 14, 2007 16:11

Bought it last weekend. It's a strong performance where many of Neils warhorses sound amazingly fresh and inspired (e.g. Old Man). Also contains the famous outtake "Bad Fog Of Loneliness". Needless to say the sound quality is A++.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-14 16:47 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 14, 2007 16:14

Neil is the man. I am going to pick this up tonight. Its great that he included concert footage as well. Neil always seems to give his fans what they want. Not sure if you guys have ever heard the bootleg Archives Be Damned but its 7 cds of unreleased songs, some great stuff on there.

Date: March 14, 2007 16:16

Neil's the Best. A proud Canadian.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: March 14, 2007 16:19

Stones must have so much more stuff than Neil Young? This release I already have in same quality except for the video which was nice, but not great. It is good to see Neil releasing stuff he knows has been bootleged and fans etc will buy it anyway, interesting to see how much it sells.

Posted by: Spwade ()
Date: March 14, 2007 16:25

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Yeah, I have that on Amazon order and hopefully
> will arrive today/tomorrow. Sounds good, probably
> my fav. Neil period. I wish he'd put out "Time
> Fades Away" on CD, his excusses don't wash, I had
> to make a CD-R off the Vinyl, Pops and all
>
> When will the Stones do it? When they start
> thinking about the fans a bit more, in other
> words, NEVER.....

"Time Fades Away" and "Journey Through the Past" were both readied for an official CD release around '95 but ended up being vetoed by Neil at the last minute. A few copies of each of these titles DID make it into the hands of a lucky few and have since circulated amongst traders. I haven't heard the CD release of JTTP but have heard TFA and it sounds phenomenal. It's even HDCD encoded. I cannot understand why Neil axed this release. It's brilliant. I have a mint copy of the vinyl and the HCDC absolutely blows it away!

Date: March 14, 2007 16:26

I'm sure it's a teeny weeny market that it's aimes at, with modest expectations. Word of mouth could make it a sleeper hit - Neil's retained his cred enough to be truly multi-generational, stoner kids love him no matter what the year is, so who knows?

Neil's not about cashing in, though, he's about giving the fans what they want. He does something unique in the music industry - he 'cares' about his fans.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 14, 2007 17:36

Well I guess you're right - I just checked the missing 4 I have, and that's not one of them. bummer

Posted by: johang ()
Date: March 14, 2007 17:37

Well said, they dont care.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 14, 2007 20:59

Nice to read so many "TIME FADES AWAY" fans on here. What I remember reading/hearing is Neil says that whole tour bummed him out cause it's connected (or he connects it) to the Heroin Overdose of his band mate Danny White is it? It seems like TONIGHTS THR NIGHT is a more direct link to that event but only Neil knows what pushes his buttons. I hope he lets the bad feelings go and releases it soon. JORNEY THROUGH THE PAST is kinda the same story I think but the album is not quite as vital. It DOES has soom gems on it (20 something version of WORDS, JTTP played live, Some other interesting work on there that I can't recall). I remember it was a double album and Neil doesn't like it now - strange to pretend you didn't put out albums that you once did.......

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 19, 2007 11:59

great recording - neils voice is so clean and soaring and very powerful.
cowgirl in the sand is fantastic - neils acoustic is so clean and all the hammer
on's he does is so sweet.That riff he plays in the middle and the way he mutes and deadends the strings signature Neil. Dont Let Me bring you down is so powerful his delivery and performance is chilling at times.

Neil is a great player and he has his own style on acoustic and on electric he developed his own sound and style.

My fav songwriter after dylan.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 19, 2007 20:04

OpenG Wrote:
> great recording - neils voice is so clean and
> soaring and very powerful.
> cowgirl in the sand is fantastic - neils acoustic
> is so clean and all the hammer
> on's he does is so sweet.

Thats absolutely true, an even better version than the one on Four Way Street!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home