Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

what's worse, the Stones songs being owned by Allen Klein or the Beatles songs being owned by Michael Jackson?
Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: March 6, 2007 20:50

Do you think that Michael Jackson's ownership of the Beatles song rights degrades them at all?

Re: what's worse, the Stones songs being owned by Allen Klein or the Beatles songs being owned by Michael Jackson?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 6, 2007 21:07

ALLEN klien owns the rights along with the stones but jackson own's the beatles 100%! what do you think is better?

Re: what's worse, the Stones songs being owned by Allen Klein or the Beatles songs being owned by Michael Jackson?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 6, 2007 21:07

No, because they sound exactly the same to me.

I personally couldnt give a f**k if theyre owned by Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan or Michael Palin.

The music is the only thing I care about. If McCartney and Yoko are unhappy with Jackson buying them out (and it was only Northern Songs as far as I know, which is only the Lennon-McCartney material), thats their problem for not taking care of their business interests properly despite both of them having more money than God.

The Stones had less say in ABCKO's ownership of their material than the Beatles have had, but it still doesnt affect the music. If Jagger and Richards wanted to buy ABCKO out badly enough, they have enough money to do so. Its their problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-06 21:08 by Gazza.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 6, 2007 21:37

>> If Jagger and Richards wanted to buy ABKCO out badly enough, they have enough money to do so. <<

how do you know that, Gazza? has ABKCO mentioned a price?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 6, 2007 21:49

Contemplatin'the immortality of Mr Klein,
I googled up this basic site about his position etc
[www.songwritershalloffame.org]

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 6, 2007 21:54

Money is not the problem for buying their rights back. Maybe Jagger and Richards don't want to buy their songs back. In their eyes it is already their property and simply don't want to buy Klein en co. out. Pride and stubborn. Just a theory.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 6, 2007 22:45

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, because they sound exactly the same to me.
>
> I personally couldnt give a f**k if theyre owned
> by Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan or Michael
> Palin.
>
> The music is the only thing I care about....

I agree with your entire post 100%, Gazza.
The only way I would care would be if I owned them.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 6, 2007 23:07

Can someone clarify the whole Klein thing for me? I've never quite understood it - they have mutual ownership with Klein? I would assume so.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 6, 2007 23:38

Melbourne Herald Sun - 7 March 2007

ROCKMAN

Date: March 6, 2007 23:39

>> Can someone clarify the whole Klein thing for me? <<

i don't think anyone outside of the Stones/ABKCO knows the details of the settlement they finally reached,
but basically Klein owns the rights to the Stones' catalogue through 1970
(which includes some numbers on Sticky Fingers and Exile); the Stones themselves own the later catalog.
the songwriters still get the songwriting royalties from the numbers ABKCO owns, but
ABKCO owns the copyrights on the recordings and the publishing rights to the original material.
it looks like the Stones retain some other rights as well (eg having something to say about
the licensing of the music for films, adverts, etc).

if you're interested in the different kinds of licensing/rights, here's a pretty interesting outline
of how it normally works: [entertainment.howstuffworks.com]
the article on music royalties is also pretty enlightening: [entertainment.howstuffworks.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-06 23:43 by with sssoul.

Date: March 6, 2007 23:50

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> If Jagger and Richards wanted to buy ABKCO out
> badly enough, they have enough money to do so. <<
>
> how do you know that, Gazza? has ABKCO mentioned
> a price?

With a collective worth of about a billion dollars, I'd imagine they have enough ready cash to table him an offer he cant refuse. IF they wanted to.

Date: March 7, 2007 00:10

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Contemplatin'the immortality of Mr Klein,
> I googled up this basic site about his position
> etc
> [www.songwritershalloffame.org]
> nt_detail.asp?ceremonyId=27&awardRecipientId=154

Klein's age and mortality isnt that crucial a factor. His son Jody is heavily involved in ABCKO (he oversaw the 2002 remaster series) so this belief that many have that once Klein pops his clogs everything will suddenly be OK in Stonesland doesnt really hold a lot of water, unfortunately

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: March 7, 2007 00:28

I take the simplistic view:

My favourite beer producers changed owner 5 years ago,it still tastes as good today. The music SOUNDS the same to me whoever 'owns' it. Just see people like Klein and Jackson as custodians. To the little guy on the street such things don't make a difference to our day to day life.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: March 7, 2007 00:29

>> With a collective worth of about a billion dollars, I'd imagine
they have enough ready cash to table him an offer he cant refuse IF they wanted to. <<

maybe, but it's not necessarily only a question of what they want.
(and for the record: the 2006 Sunday Times Rich List had Jagger's + Richards' combined worth
at about 385 million GBP, which is ... calculatecalculate ... about 250 million short of a billion dollars)

Date: March 7, 2007 00:53

Theyve earned a few sheckels since then, sssoulie!

I know what you mean, though. Point being, if THEY want the exclusive rights so much, put their money where their mouth is and make an offer. Klein could well turn it down (and for all we know may have already done so) - could also be that maybe they simply dont feel that buying them is worth what it'll cost. Which is a reasonable enough point.

Re: the Rolling Stones
Date: March 7, 2007 01:21

>> could also be that maybe <<

yeah - actually all kinds of things could be, maybe. for example it could be that maybe
it might piss you off pretty maximally to think too much about paying huge sums
to buy your own work from someone who ripped you off so blithely and brutally. grr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-09 00:49 by with sssoul.

Posted by: MsTuesday ()
Date: March 7, 2007 05:37

I couldnt care less either
I like the music
so i listen to it

[[FEAR; BUILDS WALLS.]]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home