Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT : MP3 Question
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 21, 2007 20:04

How many of you guys own an MP3 player ?
I have a small one, but I'd love to get a better one, at least 8 GB, on which I could store a lot of music, including live CDs without blanks between each track.

What would you give as an advice ?
Ipod ? Sony ? Creative ? MP3 ? AAC ? ATRAC ?

Please share you knowledge/experience

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Re: OT : MP3 Question
Posted by: frankie ()
Date: February 21, 2007 23:01

Sony HI-MD recorder, 1 gig storage discs for a low price, guess about 8 dollars. Also a very good recorder for concerts and of course with optical line and analogue line in. It's unbelievable good and it records in pcm as well. If you want to look at one, google MZ-RH 1. Oh yeah if you want to store mp3's you can store up to 54 hours of music on one disc.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 21, 2007 23:18

This is also a very good recorder for concerts ....

[samsontech.com]

Posted by: drake ()
Date: February 22, 2007 01:58

I'd like to echo whats already been said. Hi-MD is outstanding for flexibility and quality. The only thing to consider is you may never use the other functions of the recorder/player.

If you're just looking for an mp3 player then I'd recommend an @#$%&. They make many different types of mp3/video players and most importantly, they're well built. Essentially thats all you need to care about when getting a portable media player. If it feels like its about to break, it will. My buddy has the 30 gig @#$%& with an amazing video display. We can stream videos over our wireless network. The thing is fantastic. Also, they're priced well.

-Drake

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 22, 2007 03:25

The worst device I bought was the Microtrack M Audio MP3 Recorder. Only spent around $350, still have not mastered it.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 22, 2007 06:41

PC World did a review of MP3 players in this months edition. Go pick one up at the bookstore or check out their online site.

Date: February 22, 2007 08:48

I already have a HiMD recorder
What I'm looking for is a high capacity music player, in which I could store loads of CDs and have 'em available to listen to whenever I want without having to do anything more.
That's why an 8 GB is a minimum

@#$%& and PC World are good hints. I'll have a closer look to these ones.
It's funny to notice that no one said anything positive about Ipod yet...

Posted by: dj ()
Date: February 22, 2007 14:02

Perhaps no one mentioned iPod because it's the King of the Hill. But as an MP3 music player, it's the best IMO.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: February 22, 2007 14:44

I've got one of the older pods (no video) 20 gb and I've got more music than I can listen to on it already and it's still got over half capacity left. It's user friendly and sounds great.

Jim

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 22, 2007 15:45

I have a 40G Creative Zen Touch that I'm real happy with.

I passed on the iPod because of cost and I don't think they play WMA files.

After some expiramenting and research, seems WMA and MP3 are virtually identical, sound quality-wise, at 128kbps (the standard), MP3 better at > 128kbps, and WMA better at <128kbps.

Since I wanted to put all of my approximately 700 CD's on my player, I had to drop down 1 notch to below 128kbps and there is a noticable difference in quality of WMA over MP3 at that speed.

So unless I'm misunderstanding the iPod, and you want to cram a ton of music on there as I did, you might want to take the WMA vs. MP3 and kbps argument into consideration and consider something else (almost all other players play WMA).

But if you don't plan on cramming a lot on there and plan to use MP3 at a higher kbps, the iPod might be your best choice.

Date: February 22, 2007 16:01

Interesting

Before posting my question, I was hesitating between a 30BG Ipod and a 8 GB Ipod Nano.
The video feature ain't too important for me and it seems that the video on Ipod isn't great.

There is an Apple format call AAC. How does this compare to MP3 ? Quality and sizewise ?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 22, 2007 17:15

ipod recording...I think it's possible...but what do I need to transform my 20GB ipod into a BOOTLEGGIN' MACHINE?!?! Anybody done this?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 22, 2007 19:36

No idea about AAC. I think it may be Apple proprietary software used for downloads from their iTunes store, but that's a bit of a guess.

Posted by: imonlysleeping ()
Date: February 22, 2007 21:51

From wikipedia:

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio.

AAC achieves better quality sound than the more popular MP3 format when compared at the same bitrate, and creates smaller file sizes. For example: A 192 kbps song compressed as an MP3 will be about the same quality as a 128 kbps AAC file, but the AAC will be smaller in overall size.

See: [en.wikipedia.org]

Soundwise the iPod is superior to most other players,maybe because it is an Apple. If you are not too picky on sound you may opt for the Creative Zen player. It is good, and it has a radio on board.

Date: February 23, 2007 04:17

I would go with an @#$%&.They support lossless WAV's.I'm not sure that the others do.Besides,I've heard from a few people that they are better overall anyway.I'd like to see what P.C.World has to say about it.

Posted by: MsTuesday ()
Date: February 23, 2007 05:58

I gots an ipod
of course
Named it
"Shelter"
Because i like to get away
from life
so its my
Gimme Shelter.
smiling smiley
And its green too smiling smiley

[[FEAR; BUILDS WALLS.]]

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: February 23, 2007 08:51

I have a 30 gig iPod with video which I like, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with videos. For some reason it won't put videos onto the iPod. They are in the formats that are listed as compatable, but they just won't go onto the iPod. I know I have space. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I really am happy with it for everything else, this is the only real problem I've had.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-23 08:52 by cali stones fan.

Date: February 23, 2007 09:56

sweet neo con Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ipod recording...I think it's possible...but what
> do I need to transform my 20GB ipod into a
> BOOTLEGGIN' MACHINE?!?! Anybody done this?

I know there was an Ipod recording available on Dime a while ago.
Then I found this :
[www.ilounge.com]
[homerecording.about.com]

Posted by: dukeastaire ()
Date: February 23, 2007 10:04

Hi Doc,
Well, I've owned an iPod since they've come out with the 3rd Gen and speaking from personal experience I love mine. Now that they've gotten video capability and all that rubbish means little to me. The ease of use is what makes it so vaulable. Simple controls and I can't detect too much of a difference between aac and wma. Besides, I always convert all my wmas to aac anyhow which is very easy using iTunes. The interface works well with Mac or PC. I think the Nanos aren't so great. The price difference between them is a bit of a jump but it's nice to be able to have a relatively large music collection at your fingertips rather than just say Their Satanic Majesties Request and Steel Wheels which is about all Nano's can handle. My 60 GB has a 55.7 GB capacity. So for me the iPod is your best bet.

Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: February 23, 2007 11:41

dukeastaire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the Nanos aren't so
> great. The price difference between them is a bit
> of a jump but it's nice to be able to have a
> relatively large music collection at your
> fingertips rather than just say Their Satanic
> Majesties Request and Steel Wheels which is about
> all Nano's can handle.

Wow, you must have extended versions for those two albums if you can fill the NANO with them winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home