Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick's mikes
Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: February 2, 2007 13:28

Micks microphones on A Bigger Bang were much more longer than these from Bridges To Babylon or Licks...almost as long as the 76-ones. WHY????...normaly, in modern times, they should be smaller from tour to tour.
Another point, I found out is that there were two types of mikes, Mick used in 2005/06
The first one has at the end of the "holder" a little, narrow, maybe 2 centimeters long antenna, see pic:

The other one, there are not so many pics available, hasn't that narrow antenna but a cylindrical block...see here:

Are any sound-engineers here who can explain, what the difference is between these two mikes? Or ideas...

Re: Mick's mikes
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 2, 2007 13:33

[peering hard:] ... what am i missing? it looks like the same mic in those two photos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-03 01:14 by with sssoul.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: February 2, 2007 13:43

No, it isn't...here another pic:

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: February 2, 2007 13:58

wow this is pretty interesting!! sssoul we got all those fanstic thread about guitars but if i'm not wrong we still had no jagger mikes threads! anybody knows which mikes used trough the years, and uses now?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:48

His hands have gotten smaller, i guess

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:59

It could be that the one with the small antenna is a Shure and the other is maybe a Sennheiser - but the type of mike MJ used on the Urban Jungle Tour was real small and "fancy" at the time.

The reason why he´s using two different mike-makes on the same tour,or even on the same gig, could be that a wireless mike sometimes run out of battery and as far as I know Mick J got 5 mikes in spare backstage - after finishing Rocks Off in Copenhagen 1995 Mick changed the mike as it was clearly lacking for effect when he took it out on the wings of the stage.

Btw have you noticed that the mike Keff used for back-up vocals on the 1981/82 tour was wireless to? ;-)

Big T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-02 17:04 by JustinCaseBandDK.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 2, 2007 17:03

Maybe one of the photos has been taken during the superbowl performance, which may explain why he did not use the same mike as usual...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: February 2, 2007 17:31

I read an interview with the front of stage guy for ABB tour who said that Mick isn't fussy about what mic he uses and he leaves it to the crew to decide. I'll see if I can find the link...

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: February 2, 2007 17:51

Same mics. Antenna isn't round so it looks a bit different from different angels. Could be a Beyer mic.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 3, 2007 00:58

maybe someone can spot the mic here
[www.thomann.de]

I can't verify from here - not at home

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 3, 2007 01:31

this thread could also be called....Mike's Mikes
this thread should not be called Mick's Micks. smiling smiley

Michael P. Jagger was called Mike as a youth...and probably still is by family.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-03 01:32 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2007 02:53

Mick Jagger recording Not Fade Away - Regent Sound Studio, London 1964

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2007 03:11

Mick Jagger performing Not Fade Away - Station Hotel Richmond - Dezo Hoffman

ROCKMAN

Date: February 3, 2007 04:11

This used to be an add by Shure or Beyer, saying Micks Mike or slt.
ratz, can't find the original^^

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 3, 2007 07:04

sweet neo con Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this thread could also be called....Mike's Mikes
> this thread should not be called Mick's Micks.
> smiling smiley
Isnt that a smokey Robinson Song?

Oh wait no, that's Mickey's Monkey.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 3, 2007 09:30

GREAT shot of mick recording 'not fade away' ...big old mike as big as his head almost, wow...guess some kind of early condenser? or tube mike? (mike's mike stuff above lol)

i bet in the studio he still uses big ol' condenser urei's or something similar...like he did on 'sftd' sessions...aren't those mikes still state of the art for 'analog warmth' in major studios? i guess there must be enough pix of them recording 'mixed emotions' from that footage, and other, both vintage and contemporary, studio recordings to tell...no idea at all what live mikes he uses...but fascinating to me.

interesting to me the maraccas are goin' down live with the vocals in the studio? right into the same mike...i love that...none of this hyper-seperation stuff yet...which can be so sterile...

i also love it and find it refreshing when he occasionally switches to plain old mike stand with some kind of standard 'ball' mike, when playing acoustic on something...and just stands there and sings it good and hard and straight...thinking lib lix tour for example. different kind of focus for all that physical intensity...

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 3, 2007 17:18

I dont know an awful lot, but i do know that the mics used on stage are not THAT expensive compared to the sort of mics used in the studio. The ones on stage are dynamic microphones. The industry standard is a shure sm57/58 (these are not wireless) i believe, which are pretty affordable.

In the studio however, condenser and tube mics are used, which can cost thousands. The condenser mics tend to use what is known as 'phantom power', which is 48volts supplied into the mic from the mixing desk.

The Stripped video shows them using some tasty big condenser mics for vocals and guitar in the toshiba studios. Wild horses, love in vain etc...

Look at charlies drum kit, he has one or two big condenser mics way above the cymbals to pick up the ambience.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: February 3, 2007 18:07

The picture Rockman posted - Mick with maraccas, is an AKG - mostlikely a C 12 polydirectional Kondenser Microphone. built since '53.
don't let the windshield fool ya

Date: February 3, 2007 18:33

Mick probaly uses a Shure U2/Beta 58 u series (or similar) microphone on stage.
the beta 58 heads are interchangeable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-03 18:37 by open-g.

Date: February 3, 2007 19:02

The microphone Mick uses on the stripped Wild Horses video looks impressive but its just a friggin' Electro Voice RE20,
which one usually would choose for Accordion, Acoustic Strings, Brass, Guitar Amp, Kick Drum, Snare, Speech, Tom, Woodwinds

if you stop the viedeo at 1:34 you can have a closer look at the mic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-03 19:07 by open-g.

Date: February 3, 2007 19:13

Charlie's overhead microphones are usually Neumann U87 Ai or U89i.
they are also used in the studio for vocals.

I think I've also seen Neumann TLM 170' used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-03 19:15 by open-g.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: February 3, 2007 19:44

open-g Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This used to be an add by Shure or Beyer, saying
> Micks Mike or slt.

here ya go open-g , from circus mag. 1975

Date: February 3, 2007 19:53

Yeah, dats it - thank you Chippy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home