Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones - After 2007
Posted by: Chav Watch ()
Date: January 15, 2007 22:54

Much as I loved ABB I can't see any point in the Stones doing another album singing about picking up women in hotels in cold grey towns if you will forgive the generalisation. The wider public seem to have lost interest in such songs. The Stones should go back into the studio and record an album of mature covers of the songs that inspired them in the first place. I am not talking about re-recording their early covers - I am talking about digging into the non-commercial stuff that they were into before they were famous. Although differing in styles both Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton have done this with some success. Such an album would help enlighten the public about the true roots of the Rolling Stones. If you work on the premise that only established fans buy their studio albums these days (as opposed to the general public who buy the likes of 40 Licks) then they have nothing to lose.

Re: The Rolling Stones - After 2007
Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 15, 2007 23:01

actually that's not a bad idea.....and that could segueway right into a tour of unplugged performances with only 4 people, a drum kit, and two stools on stage (ok, maybe a piano)

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: January 15, 2007 23:14

Sorry I just can't picture the Stones sitting on charis doing a all unplugged tour.

Posted by: Chav Watch ()
Date: January 15, 2007 23:16

Rickster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry I just can't picture the Stones sitting on
> charis doing a all unplugged tour.

You may not be able to see it - but would you pay to see it?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: January 15, 2007 23:26

they could do a country set at the grand oie' opry they have enough material of their own,put out a dvd mabye or at least a live cd.
if not that perhaps a blues album recorded live in chicago.
wishfull thinking i suppose

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 16, 2007 01:18

A country album will sell good, with a good producer and good songs. The potential in the country market is WAY bigger than the dying rock scene.

Date: January 16, 2007 01:34

My wife and I are opening up a care (nursing) home here in Hawaii next year and we are sending invitations to the Stones, so at least they know about our services we provide when they need them. How cool would that be huh? "Honey...Keef needs his diaper changed again, your turn!"
smiling smiley

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 16, 2007 01:51

Let me just say Happy New Year, too.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: January 16, 2007 03:06

georgelicks Wrote:
> A country album will sell good, with a good
> producer and good songs. The potential in the
> country market is WAY bigger than the dying rock
> scene.

Ha ha ha! A joke, right! So rock's dying - and country music is well??? Next thing we know, you're gonna say you want Garth Brooks for president... I like decent country, like the Flying Burrito Bros / Gram etc performed it. Not the way some US artists perform "country" music today. Sorry. The Stones will NEVER sink that deep.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: January 16, 2007 03:23

NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
> My wife and I are opening up a care (nursing) home
> here in Hawaii next year and we are sending
> invitations to the Stones, so at least they know
> about our services we provide when they need them.
> How cool would that be huh? "Honey...Keef needs
> his diaper changed again, your turn!"
> smiling smiley

You twat!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 16, 2007 03:29

>>>Ha ha ha! A joke, right! So rock's dying - and country music is well??? Next thing we know, you're gonna say you want Garth Brooks for president... I like decent country, like the Flying Burrito Bros / Gram etc performed it. Not the way some US artists perform "country" music today. Sorry. The Stones will NEVER sink that deep.

Never say never.

Posted by: lynn1 ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:12

RETIRED!

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: January 16, 2007 05:40

The Stones would not do Country the way it is today. Todays new country artists are a joke they do not sound country at all. Now if they did some old traditional country that could be cool.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: January 16, 2007 08:33

" I can't see any point in the Stones doing another album singing about picking up women in hotels in cold grey towns"

sounds to me then that jagger just needs to update his lyric angles and the stones should keep crankin' it out. i'll take another ABB anyday over the last 25 years of studio stuff. and i'ld rather a new set of originals, forget the covers. mick can sing about warding off senior women, musings on economics, politics, sports, exercise, revolution, drinking, death, energy, alternative medicine, butterflies, being on a cell phone, emailing, redecorating rooms, reading training manuals, how to till a garden, advice on what to store up on in case of environmental destruction, how to properly use a condom, the benefits of good posture, etc. over slamming new rock riffs for their final few batches of songs. i am so there, bring it on already!!!

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: January 16, 2007 08:41

Can I hear a few bars from the song about Alternative Medicine?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 16, 2007 14:14

It's a good question what the Stones could-should do on new albums. I can only speak for myself: I am not to keen on another Stones-by-numbers album. I'm tired of the same old formula: a couple of fast rockers, a couple of midtempo rockers, a couple of ballads, a couple of funky dancetracks. All in all an album where a band tries to sound like the Rolling Stones, but in the end does not sound really heartfelt. I do not advise them to record a country album, a blues album, an unplugged album or whatever direction they should go. All I know is that they are fantastic musicians and they have got nothing left to prove. Just do something that you are really into doing! Just get away from the formula that a Rolling Stones record requires certain types of songs to please the fans. It shows when you try to write songs to fit a certain formula. Do something you are really into doing - the fans may like it or not, but as long as it sounds genuine and really heartfelt,you cannot go wrong.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 16, 2007 15:48

If not a rock album...i like their reggae-inspired stuff.

It could be accompanied by a tv special (dvd) of the band hanging out
at Keith's place in Jamaica...and finally playing at a Jamaican music festival.

marley - jagger - tosh

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 16, 2007 20:10

I don't think it matters WHAT type of album they do as long as the songs themselves are good songs. Good tunes = good album = good times had by all.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: January 16, 2007 20:25

How about a country blues album?!

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: January 16, 2007 23:00

I think a blues or roots/R&B album would be a step in the right direction. Rarely do we get bluesy numbers on albums - Back of my Hand in recent memory. It would be a good, low-key kind of deal.

BUT

As much as I hate collaboration (especially when it involves the Stones), there are a wealth of good indie rockers who would add a new and interesting side of the Stones that we have not seen before. Some of the greatest lyricists today, such as the Decemberists, could greatly revitalize the Jagger/Richards songwriting team. Names like Wilco, Spoon, Wolfmother, The Raconteurs, The White Stripes, and THE BLACK KEYS, could all conspire in one way or another to create a totally out of this world concept album - something the Stones aren't known for. Bring it back to the guitar and drum kit. Pare it to the bare essentials and come up with a variety of different tracks for an album that isn't meant to have a theme. Light a fire under the ass of creativity and work with those bands in particular to come up with a gritty sound the likes of which we haven't seen from the Stones since Some Girls days.

It could work if they picked one or two right bands. My votes would go to The Black Keys and The White Stripes.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: January 17, 2007 02:13

Maybe an album of FAces and Black Crowes covers?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 17, 2007 06:20

largelingerie Wrote:
> Can I hear a few bars from the song about
> Alternative Medicine?

Dear Doctor,please help me.........................oh wait,allready been done. Nevermind.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: January 20, 2007 20:20

i would love the see the stones try to reinvent thier between the buttons era, of fast catchy tunes and humourus lyrics.

dont think they ever will though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home