Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Sanremo Festival
Posted by: Jimmy Shelter ()
Date: January 1, 2007 17:58

Have the Stones ever performed at the Sanremo Festival?
I found a little article about the festival that says they did perform at Sanremo which is posted below.

"The Sanremo Festival is an istitution in Italy it is an artists musical competion started in 1950 and going on every year, next edition will be
in February 2007. Well, in the last 20 years only italian artists were in the competition, and each of the 3 nights had many foreign artists as guests, but in the fifties and sixties there were many famous english and american artists in the competition over the 3 nights, the last night was the final....the rules of the competition in the 50's and 60's were pretty different from now, every performance had to be strictly live, and there were an italian and a foreign
artists competing together against other couples and they had to sing 2 songs, one of each had to have italian lyrics...so we saw artists like the Hollies, the Rolling Stones, Paul Anka, and many others partecipating in it..."

Does anyone know what year the Stones played at this festival and what songs they performed?

Re: The Sanremo Festival
Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: January 1, 2007 19:19

Never. But Jagger was in the audience in 67 with Marianne. Bill Wyman performed in San Remo some years ago though.......

Re: The Sanremo Festival
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 1, 2007 20:41

I remember watching that show when growing up in Italy. It was most definetly not the type show that the Stones would ever be associated with. Very traditional, and MOR. I don't know if they still do it this way but back then the competition was set up where each song had two different acts singing it. So it was more the song itself that was judged. neverthe less the artist still shone through. Only thing I can recall is Celentano and his wife singing "Chi non lavora non fa l'amore.."

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1617
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home