Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick's Voice
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 11, 2009 20:56

This thread has nothing to do with the legal aspect of the song.

Mick sings it different than he did in 1960 whatever compared to 1997. Big deal. That doesn't mean he's singing 'worse'. It's just different.

Besides, there's nothing to do about it anyway if he was singing 'worse'.

At least he has been singing better than the 75-76 or 78 or 81-82 tours. Well, except for the Bang tour. Sway, She Was Hot, etc...bloody awful.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: December 11, 2009 21:06

As I said before, I think that it's great that people still like the current Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger as performers.

For me , it doesn't work. It would be like watching Babe Ruth come out of retirement to play baseball for the New York Yankees and watch him stumble, strike out and hit into double plays constantly. I like to remember a performer from the peak . . not in the decline.

I am sure that is what Bill Wyman was thinking . .. it just isn't worth the it anymore.

As the song says, "It's Only Rock and Roll". No biggie. and there is no "right" answer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-11 21:09 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 11, 2009 21:12

Mick is still having the best voice and the best style of singing rock and roll.
No one does that like him and there's a lot of the "nwecomers" that has tried to copy him in one way or another. It doesn't work at all.

He is unique and will always be!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Date: December 11, 2009 21:15

But the Stones haven't retired. And for being 'old' people they're still in pretty good shape, unlike Babe Ruth, who was rather rotund when he played for the Yanks.

Everyone is aware that they are not the 1973 Stones or 1878 Stones or even the 1989 or 1997 Stones. Hell, they're not even close to the 2003 Stones. The good thing is we do have their albums and plenty of bootleg videos etc from their peak years. Had they stopped those might not have the significance they have now. So be it.

Posted by: cicilian nostra ()
Date: December 11, 2009 21:56

but which fool will still go to a band that is in the worst shape ever?

Date: December 11, 2009 22:00

Haven't they always sold out their concerts? I saw them in 1969 and 1972, that was enough for me . .

Date: December 11, 2009 22:04

@mitchflorida:no they havent.bigger bang tour was absolutly not sold out.

Date: December 11, 2009 22:15

I couldn't bear to watch them at the Super Bowl let alone pay to see them in person.

I saw the Stones perform for 9-11-2001 fundraiser on TV and thought they did a very nice job on Salt of the Earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-11 22:16 by mitchflorida.

Date: December 11, 2009 22:30

@mitchflorida: yes,that was the last time.but now to me i sounds like a mick jagger solo band.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 11, 2009 22:38

mitchflorida
As I said before, I think that it's great that people still like the current Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger as performers.

For me , it doesn't work. It would be like watching Babe Ruth come out of retirement to play baseball for the New York Yankees and watch him stumble, strike out and hit into double plays constantly. I like to remember a performer from the peak . . not in the decline.

I am sure that is what Bill Wyman was thinking . .. it just isn't worth the it anymore.

As the song says, "It's Only Rock and Roll". No biggie. and there is no "right" answer.

Bullshit - you apparently don't know what you're talking about.
Watch the 40 Flicks DVD's and you will see Mick singing very well.
The difference is, what you sing in a studio and what you sing live.
In studio you can manipulate the voice as much as you want, live it's the real thing - Except for those who are in to play back. Even Bill has huge problems with his vocie and playing, so that wasn't the excuse leaving the Stones - "not playing" honest. What the conserts with Stones and see if there is the real thing on stage - bloody it is. Whatch Keith from Madison 4 Flicks on JJF and you will see is working bloody hard He is not faking.
To the people who don't like Stones go somewhere else - don't show up with this kind off bloody bullshit.

Date: December 11, 2009 22:43

Please calm down, dude.

I like the Stones during the Brian Jones/Mick Taylor era.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 11, 2009 22:45

I agree with you mitchflorida, it doesn't work for me anymore, either. Looking at that early clip of the Stones performing The Last Time brings back memories of why i have made them my favourite group of all time. The thing about the Stones which i loved was the fact, although they were serious musicians, they never really took their role too seriously and they never became overblown musically in the sense of wanting to preach, say, like The Who. There was a real charm about the early Stones and almost a tongue in cheek quality about them that they simply loved being up on that stage and performing. In fact, Jagger especially was immensely charismatic.They were a little too middle class to get caught up in the tough guy bravado of a group like the Who,and all the better for it. They were just incredibly funky musically, and promoted a beautifully sexy image both visually, and especially Jagger, and musically, with that raw musical energy. However, i have to admit to wishing they'd called it a day after the 81-82 tours and made the last truly convincing album Tattoo You their swansong. All that's left now is a hollow shell into which some corporate philosophy appears to have found a home.

Date: December 11, 2009 22:45

@mitchflorida: they are just really..really old now,and they sound exactly that way.do you agree?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 11, 2009 22:47

skipstone

yeah seriosly, what was that all about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-11 22:48 by ryanpow.

Date: December 11, 2009 22:53

ryanpow
skipstone

yeah seriosly, what was that all about?

I was looking up the history of The Last Time and read about its connection to another song that I had heard but didn't know the name of Bittersweet Symphony. The Last Time was based on an old Negro spiritual song . . most blues songs have that sort of history, if you go back far enough. If the history of the song doesn't interest you, please ignore it. I am done on that.

Regardless, it is one of the all time great Rolling Stones hits. .

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 11, 2009 23:10

On the subject of Mick's voice I remember reading something once about how he, Van Morrison and Elton John all kind of sounded alike around 73/74, going for that southern American drawl.

I was trying to find the best examples but Goat's Head Soup, Van's It's Too Late To Stop Now album and Elton's Don't Shoot Me album spring to mind.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 11, 2009 23:18

First i wanna say that the Jagger Performance with u2 showed me he still can do it
second...age is a matter of mind...loads of singers get better when old (like wine} listen to Bruce...cesaria evora...Jonni Mich...Iggy Pop....J rotten....Madness.....Bob Dylan!!! Cat stevens.....Frank Sinatra to.....piople write better books also when old...if its not old its never new....but i see what your saying....just go have party and sing with your mates!!...But Jaghoo ....he still can do...he wont all the time but he can!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-11 23:22 by rooster.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 12, 2009 00:11

mitchflorida
Haven't they always sold out their concerts? I saw them in 1969 and 1972, that was enough for me . .

thanks for playing.

Date: December 12, 2009 01:11

Mitch - the Stones didn't play one concert - public or private - in 2001. I know that's, what, some word. Let's say details. But it is a fact.

And no, they have not sold out every show. In fact, there have been loads of shows they haven't sold out. But I'm sure the promoter pays them a sold out rate regardless.

Date: December 12, 2009 01:18

The Stones did a fundraiser for New York City after the 9-11 bombing in 2001. It was televised. Actually, it might have been just Mick and Keith . . the rest of the group may not have performed, I don't remember. But it was on American television.

They sang Salt of the Earth as a tribute to the NYC firefighters who died during the attack.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-12 01:21 by mitchflorida.

Date: December 12, 2009 01:21

"Actually, it might have been just Mick and Keith".

Come on man - if you're going to bother posting here while being strictly a Mick Taylor era only fan and no caring for anything they've done since 1974 at least do some homework.

It WAS Mick and Keith, not The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 12, 2009 01:22

1969 was his voice at its best. Youth & inspiration.

Date: December 12, 2009 01:40

LOL.

Ronnie Wood, and Charlie weren't there . .I can't say that it made any difference! Was that Ry Cooder?

This 2001 version trumps the original 1968 version . . have to give Mick his props.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-12 01:57 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 12, 2009 03:33

mitchflorida
LOL.

Ronnie Wood, and Charlie weren't there . .I can't say that it made any difference! Was that Ry Cooder?

This 2001 version trumps the original 1968 version . . have to give Mick his props.

ok, you've given him his props. Are you done now?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 12, 2009 04:30

i've noticed over the past 15 yrs or so that mick doesn't slur when he sings as if he's had vocal training i'm sure that will change a person's style of singing drastically

Date: December 12, 2009 07:20

cc
mitchflorida
LOL.

ok, you've given him his props. Are you done now?[/quote

????

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 12, 2009 23:48

adairalur
bad voice

.....perhaps.....but who better than he can sing the iconic songs he has written with Keith?

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: December 12, 2009 23:55

Can Mick still belt out "Fool to Cry," "Emotional Rescue" and "Worried About You" as good as he had back in 1976, 1980 and 1981 respectively?

~Ben

Date: December 13, 2009 01:28

"All that's left now is a hollow shell into which some corporate philosophy appears to have found a home."

Are you referring to the Rolling Stones' television commercials for Microsoft, Ameriquest Home Mortgages, and JPMorgan-Chase Bank?

Do you think that there something wrong with doing TV commercials for large corporations?

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: December 13, 2009 03:19

mitchflorida
----
Do you think that there something wrong with doing TV commercials for large corporations?

No, by all means! Sell out the whole brand to Pepsi!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2286
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home