Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT; Jim Croce
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 30, 2006 08:16

It seems that this forum is really diverse from a musical point of view. Was just wondering if anyone else likes/listens to Jim Croce. I think he is one of the most underrated artists/songwriters in the history of music and was just "hitting his stride" when the music world lost him forever.
All of his hits were within a year or two of his death and I often wonder what would have happened had he lived on.

Re: OT; Jim Croce
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 30, 2006 08:52

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 05:37 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: October 30, 2006 09:11

He is one of my dad's favorite artists, I grew up listening to him and still love him. When I was little, my brother and I used to love singing along with "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" and "You Don't Mess Around With Jim" on car trips. Drove our parents crazy playing them over and over againg, he he.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 30, 2006 09:16

cali stones fan, are you gunna go see the stones?

Date: October 30, 2006 09:22

Yes, I'm goint to see the Stones on Sunday at Oakland. It's actually my first show, since I'm a realatively new fan and last fall I was studying abroad in France and missed them here. And then I was here when they were there. I can't wait!

Date: October 30, 2006 09:25

Cool. Im going to oakland too. do you have decent seats? Im in like the lower deck. kind of sucks. Gotta bring my binoculars.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-30 09:31 by ryanpow.

Date: October 30, 2006 09:34

I'm sitting in the farthest highest level a million miles from the stage. Had to go for the "cheap" seats with a student budget. I'm gonna bring binoculars, too. But at least I'll be there!

Date: October 30, 2006 09:41

maybe they'll upgrade you, who knows. the show isnt exactly selling that well. But, at least your going, thats the main thing.

Date: October 30, 2006 09:43

I hope they upgrade me, that would rock! Bu, I won't get my hopes up about that too much. I'm still gonna be there no matter what.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 30, 2006 13:16

Agreed, FrankM, Jim was on the brink of being a major star. Still missed. I like "Speedball Tucker" among many.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 30, 2006 17:06

To me "I Got A Name" has a same nostalgic air as Janis's "Me and Bobby McGee".

Moving ahead so life won't pass me by!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 30, 2006 17:11

Love Jim Croce. My taste in music runs the gamut. Singer/Songwriters are a guilty pleasure.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 30, 2006 22:05

Time In a Bottle is a good tear jerker

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 30, 2006 22:33

I almost sh!t myself a few years back when watching a VH1 Behind the Music episode about him when it mentioned that he was only 30 years old (or there abouts)when he died. Man, those were hard years on him because he looked a lot older than that.

I remember, during one summer vacation, driving through the Smokey Mountains of NC crammed into the back seat of my fathers Grey Mach 1 listening to Jim Croce, Simon & Garfunkel, John Denver and the Statler Brothers, just to name a few.

Good times....Good times.

One thing I really like about this board is the trips down memory lane that get triggered.

Date: October 30, 2006 22:48

Hey WMiller....I think I remeber that trip you were talking about.....you drove right by my house.....I was trying to take a nap and here comes this Grey Mach 1 sliding around the curve on two wheels with everyone on board singing at the top of their lungs, "We've all gone to look for America...." (Simon and Garfunkel)....

was that you?

Date: October 30, 2006 23:02

"Had To say I love you In a song" was a pretty big hit for him.

Date: October 30, 2006 23:08

Lukester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey WMiller....I think I remeber that trip you
> were talking about.....you drove right by my
> house.....I was trying to take a nap and here
> comes this Grey Mach 1 sliding around the curve on
> two wheels with everyone on board singing at the
> top of their lungs, "We've all gone to look for
> America...." (Simon and Garfunkel)....
>
>
> was that you?

I don't think it was us. We generally didn't get on two wheels unless "Grandma's Feather Bed" was on. The John Denvers really brought about the sing-a-longs. Cecelia was quite the number too.

I do remember a mid-teen aged kid who tried to mug me for my toy drum and Cherokee Indian chief's headdress that I bought along the way. Could that have been you?

Date: October 30, 2006 23:26

....no, but I know that kid....he grew up to be one of our state senators...

He routinely mugged kids for their rubber tomahawks, moccasins, and what not....I'm sure we're talking about the same guy.

Date: October 30, 2006 23:40

Lukester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....no, but I know that kid....he grew up to be
> one of our state senators...
>
> He routinely mugged kids for their rubber
> tomahawks, moccasins, and what not....I'm sure
> we're talking about the same guy.

This state senator you speak of wouldn't have run for VP on the Junior Senator from the Commonwealth of Massachusett's ticket in 2004, would he have?

If so, we should probably start using phrasing such as "allegedly mugged tourists."

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 30, 2006 20:03

There's a great DVD avaivable called 'Have you heard Jim Croce live' and it's fantastic. He could be quite humorous as well at times.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 30, 2006 20:17

"if i could put time in a bottle".............i'd buy a six-pack

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 30, 2006 20:20

His son, A. J., isn't bad either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home