Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Did Dave Mason Play On Beggars Banquet?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 15, 2006 17:03

I'm going to see him tomorrow night at a small club in Ann Arbor, Michigan and I'm reminded of something I once read; that there are numerous uncredited guest musicians on BB and that one of these is Dave Mason who supposedly made a substantial contribution. Anyone know anything about this? If it's true, what tracks did he play on?

Re: Did Dave Mason Play On Beggars Banquet?
Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 15, 2006 18:07

nope, I don't know....but I'd love to hear about the concert after you get back. I bet he plays "Feelin' Allright" (duh)

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: November 15, 2006 18:14

.. i hope not

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 15, 2006 18:21

he did... he played shehani on street fighting man and
mandolin on factory girl...

Posted by: Haristone ()
Date: November 15, 2006 20:16

Yes, Dave Mason plays shehani on Street Fighting Man. You can read that everywhere. WHAT I NEVER UNDERSTOOD : what is a shehani ???

I really don't know, I really don't know.....

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 15, 2006 20:48

Nope.

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: November 15, 2006 20:51

DM (Not that DAVE M!) played on BB...tis well documented

Date: November 16, 2006 02:59

Thanks for the replys, but can anyone explain why only Nicky Hopkins got a name check on the sleeve. It said "We are deeply indebted to Nicky Hopkins and to many friends". Evidently, they didn't feel indebted enough to mention their friends by name.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 16, 2006 03:01

yeah thats a weird ablum in the sense that it doesnt list the musicians who played on it. Tattoo you doesnt either. but thats because its from so many different sessions.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 16, 2006 03:31

It's always been a little mystery, who played what on Beggars Banquet, including Brian Jones (whose contributions vary widely between 2 and 5 songs depending on who you ask).

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 16, 2006 07:25

I hope he plays "Gypsy Queen", and what the hell is a shehani?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 16, 2006 08:25

Interesting... I never knew about this...

Mick Jagger on "Street Fighting Man":

"It was a very strange time in France. But not only in France but also in America, because of the Vietnam War and these endless disruptions....

I wrote a lot of the melody and all the words for Street Fighting Man, and Keith and I sat around and made this wonderful track, with Dave Mason playing the shehani on it live. It's a kind of Indian reed instrument a bit like a primitive clarinet. It comes in at the end of the tune. It has a very wailing, strange sound..."

Also:
[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 16, 2006 10:05

Maybe that's the case. Problem with info on their albums about who plays what is that it seems to change. Keith has said he played the slide on No Expecations. He changed that back later but their memory is very, well, it's their version.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 17, 2006 03:28

Other than maybe on Black and Blue, they have not published much detail on who played what. The album sleeve (yes album....real vinyl) I am listening to has great detail on every instrument, overdub and channel. Wish this was available on every recording.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: November 17, 2006 03:51

I always thought it was a shelani....not shehani.....but I could be wrong.......I've seen info on outtake versions of "Dead Doctor" that claimed Dave Mason played on them. I don't know if he played on the Beggar's Banquet version or not though.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 17, 2006 03:58

buffalo7478 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Other than maybe on Black and Blue, they have not
> published much detail on who played what. The
> album sleeve (yes album....real vinyl) I am
> listening to has great detail on every instrument,
> overdub and channel. Wish this was available on
> every recording.

What pressing is this?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: November 17, 2006 04:25

Not sure about this...he may well have played during the sessions, but if those made it to the final mix, is another argument all together..

Ask Dave Mason....

JR

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: November 17, 2006 06:15

LA FORUM Wrote:
> Maybe that's the case. Problem with info on their
> albums about who plays what is that it seems to
> change. Keith has said he played the slide on No
> Expecations. He changed that back later but their
> memory is very, well, it's their version.

Keith is lying through his teeth on that one. He and everyone else knows damn well that Brian plays slide on No Expectations. And Keith didn't even play slide on a Stones album until Salt Of the Earth.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 17, 2006 10:47

I know that, and its not the first time he gives himself credits for things Brian did. Or Ry Cooders influence.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 17, 2006 11:07

Brian played sitar on SFM at the end. Definitely slide on No Expectations (he even plays it on R 'n' R circus). I don't hear him on any other tracks though. I've heard EC also played on this album.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 17, 2006 11:11

I think on "Factory Girl" it is Rick Grech. It does appear that the Stones were using other top British session guys in those years.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 17, 2006 11:29

Dave Mason is credited for Sheahani on SFM, acoustic guitar on Dear Doctor and mandolin on Factory Girl.

But: there's only one acoustic on Dear Doctor, and that's clearly Keith. And, the mandolin on Factory Girl is most likely a mellotron, not a real mandolin. Dave Mason did play mellotron on the first Traffic album, so that is possiible.

Mathijs

Date: November 17, 2006 14:54

Lukester Wrote:
> nope, I don't know....but I'd love to hear about
> the concert after you get back. I bet he plays
> "Feelin' Allright" (duh)

I had never seen Mason before last night, but had been told by many people that he did fantastic live shows. I always found this hard to believe. How could the guy who sang "We Just Disagree" be a fantastic live performer? But last night, in a great little club where the worst seat in the house is 75 feet from the stage, he blew the roof off. Highlights: 40,000 Headmen, Dear Mr Fantasy, Feelin Alright, Only You Know And I Know, Surely Took More Than You Gave, All Along The Watchtower, and this little bit of audience banter:

Mason: "Were you expecting an acoustic show?
tatters: CRANK IT UP!!!
Mason: Apparently not.

On a Stones related note, I sat next to a guy about my age and we got to talking and I mentioned that DM played on Beggers and he said he had seen the Stones in Detroit last year, as had I, and, it turns out, BOTH of us had also been in attendance at the legendary (for all the wrong reasons) JFK Stadium show in Philadelphia on June 17, 1978. I said "Hey man! Where've you been?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-17 14:58 by tatters.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 17, 2006 17:08

Thanks tatters....sounds like a great show. I saw Dave Mason back in 1977 in a small Elon College gymnasium.....sounds like ol' Dave is still, as you put it, cranking it up. I have read that he is temperamental and ornery. Did you see any signs of that? Sounds like he was having fun.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 17, 2006 17:38

Mathijs,

When you say "is credited"... what does that mean?

BTW, I have been reading these formus for only a few months... I've read some of your posts, and it appears that you are something of an authority on many Stones related subjects. Is this true?

Mathijs Wrote:
> Dave Mason is credited for Sheahani on SFM,
> acoustic guitar on Dear Doctor and mandolin on
> Factory Girl.
>
> But: there's only one acoustic on Dear Doctor, and
> that's clearly Keith. And, the mandolin on Factory
> Girl is most likely a mellotron, not a real
> mandolin. Dave Mason did play mellotron on the
> first Traffic album, so that is possiible.
>
> Mathijs

Posted by: bat _outta_hell ()
Date: November 17, 2006 17:52

Whether Kenos is all that accurate, Im not sure...I've caught a few boo boos before, but from the website
Beggars Banquet

Released - 1968, on London/Decca Records (now Abkco Records). Produced by Jimmy Miller.

Personnel:

Mick Jagger - Lead Vocals, Harmonica, Percussion.
Keith Richards - Lead and Acoustic Guitars, Slide Gutiar, Bass, Backing Vocals.
Brian Jones - Slide and Acoustic Guitars, Sitar, Mellotron, Tamboura, Percussion, Harmonica, Backing Vocals.
Bill Wyman - Bass, Maracas and other Percussion, Backing Vocals.
Charlie Watts - Drums and Percussion.

Additional Personnel:

Nicky Hopkins, Rocky Dijon, Dave Mason, Ry Cooder, Marianne Faithful, Anita Pallenberg, Ian Stewart, Rick Grech. Watts Street Gospel Choir

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 17, 2006 18:10

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> I hope he plays "Gypsy Queen", and what the hell
> is a shehani?

[www.vimeo.com]

Warning, don't play this video with a dog in hearing distance, it's simply not fair to the dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-17 18:12 by camper88.

Date: November 18, 2006 02:23

Lukester Wrote:
> Thanks tatters....sounds like a great show. I saw
> Dave Mason back in 1977 in a small Elon College
> gymnasium.....sounds like ol' Dave is still, as
> you put it, cranking it up. I have read that he
> is temperamental and ornery. Did you see any signs
> of that? Sounds like he was having fun.

He seemed pleased to have sold out the venue and by the enthusiastic audience response (many standing ovations). At times he did seem a little sad. He went on and on about how Chris Wood and Jim Capaldi are dead and how only he and Winwood are still alive from the original Traffic. He stopped short of actually saying "And Steve won't even call me" but I sensed he WANTED to say more and that it might have been along those lines.

He was also unduly proud of Traffic's having been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. He SHOULD have been angry that it took them TEN YEARS to get voted in. They SHOULD have just told Jann Wenner to go @#$%& himself. I hate it when great artists play the game and kiss the industry's ass like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-18 02:27 by tatters.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 18, 2006 02:54

Dave Mason is a great musician and performer. I once saw him in LA, playing with Delaney, Bonnie, and Friends. He apparently was one of the friends. It was on Halloween night, 1969, at the Shrine Auditorium.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 30, 2006 02:16

The mellotron-mandolin [www.esnips.com] could actually have been played by Nicky Hopkins. An instrument he has played with other bands, The Kinks, The Creation and possibly also on some of Their Stanaic Majesties.

Theres a good interview with Keith talking about Beggars Banquet on the buy/trade forum where he mentions that nicky "came up with the fiddle effect".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home