Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Instantly in love?
Posted by: Buddy Young ()
Date: November 21, 2006 12:19

I was wondering, wich Stones songs did you like directly when you heard them for the first time and wich Stones songs really had to grow on you?

I remember not liking SFM at first and now I really like it, while I liked Saint of me from the first time I had heard it.

Listen to my new album on www.bowemusic.nl!

Re: Instantly in love?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 21, 2006 12:21

I loved Sparks Will Fly the first time I ever heard it. Still a fave of mine.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 21, 2006 12:24

instantly fell in love with the whole 60's 'London Years' output.
...it was classic Sticky/Exile output , which wasn't instant, with me.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 21, 2006 12:38

Slippin away

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: November 21, 2006 13:02

Nearly every 60's single from The Last Time to Honky Tonk Women with the exception of Have You Seen Your Mother Baby which took a while.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: November 21, 2006 13:04

Great post. My first exposure to the Stones was Hot Rocks. I remember instantly liking HTW, but I wasn't fond of Gimme Shelter. Still love HTW, but through the passage of time GS has become my favorite Stones song.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 21, 2006 13:18

lately? 72% of ABB got me on the first listen;
Biggest Mistake took me a while, but i got it.
i'm still working on ER ...

Posted by: FreRock ()
Date: November 21, 2006 13:50

I remember my mother had the Brown Sugar single, and I fell in love with Bitch on the b-side. Being a kid at the time, I had no idea what Mick was talking about, but I knew it had to be good!

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: November 21, 2006 13:52

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Anybody Seen My Baby ?
Get Off Of My Cloud
Don't Stop
Oh No, Not You Again
Infamy

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 21, 2006 15:45

It Won't Take Long, and Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 21, 2006 15:46

Interesting ;^)

I think it's more the sound of the band for me.
It doesn't matter so much what they play...I just love the sound and feel of the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: November 21, 2006 16:09

Just My Imginatation had to grow on me. It'll never be a favorite, but when I hear it now, I don't cringe and can enjoy it.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 21, 2006 17:17

can't you hear me knockin'
she's so cold
start me up
shattered
rocks off
driving too fast
monkey man
hey negrita
and many more...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-27 22:15 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 21, 2006 17:43

When 11/12 years old I loved everything from the sixties(The Last Time was my Fav)Rolled Gold I had...I would go to my uncle..he had all the singles...and lp s...talkin about 75...so I loved that...I went with an other wild child to a record shop ..and listened to E..E.Exile...never heard the 70ties Stones!I could not get into it..but anyway I stole the album...my mate stole a Neil daimond album...the owner saw this...and came after us...he came very close..so I said to my friend....let them loose! and we threw them albums on the street...and ran away...that was my intro to exile...on main street..I think for a kid its a difficult album...when 16 years I loved it!! But I didnt Like Soul Surv....it took me 20 years to like that one...but its a winner!...The first time I heard Angie...I coulnt believe..it was The Stones!..I thought a girl was singing!!Really!But I think it really grew on me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-22 13:49 by rooster.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 21, 2006 17:45

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lately? 72% of ABB got me on the first listen;
> Biggest Mistake took me a while, but i got it.
> i'm still working on ER ...

Still in therapy...S Soul??!! We can help!We have to bring that thread back!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 21, 2006 18:04

Good Question. I find that often the songs/albums that are ultimately going to prove to be the real winners; the ones with the big substance are not immediately likebale. They take a little more.
But the Stones as a band, with me were instant. They have been my favoriter band sinced I was 5. I never once doubted or wondered. Matter of fact I try to recruit and convince others.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Buddy Young ()
Date: November 22, 2006 13:09

I agree with ChelseaDrugstore that the songs/albums that have to grow on you first prove to be the real winners over a longer period.

Listen to my new album on www.bowemusic.nl!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 22, 2006 13:29

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 07:54 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 27, 2006 22:15

When I heard CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING in a Wisconsin bar....I needed to run out and get the album Sticky Fingers. Unfortunately it was nearly midnight and the stores weren't open. Bought it the next day...and discovered SWAY & BITCH too.

This was back before I was a hardcore fan and only had the obligatory HOT ROCKS....so..of course I was already familiar with Brown Sugar & Wild Horses but I had not looked deeper. I had crossed over the threshold.....within months I had every official Stones album (& a few boots).

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: November 27, 2006 22:31

I was 5 and heard "Around and Around". Instantly the rhythm went right into my bone marrow... And I never recovered. FORTUNATELY!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 27, 2006 22:33

aside from Streets of Love...none that come immediately to mind....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 27, 2006 22:36

Went nuts over "Beast Of Burden" on my 8-track in 1978.

Posted by: Esperola ()
Date: November 28, 2006 01:23

Gimmie Shelter was THE ONE... It though took some years 'till I started to like Exile On Main St.

"Rape, murder, it's just a shot away..."

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 28, 2006 01:33

Play with fire I think

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 28, 2006 01:36

Those guitars in Shattered had me from the very first listen at about 12 years old. It opened up getting every album. Although I had heard all the classic Stones radio songs this one really did it.

The fun thing about back then was there was no internet, when you bought a earlier Stone's album, save for the few songs you might recognize it was a true surprise at what you just purchased. Now, most albums are dissected to death before you ever consider buying them. (many never buy just download)

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: November 28, 2006 01:39

Jumpin' Jack Flash was instant magic.

One of the first albums I bought was a weird compilation titled "Gimme Shelter" which featured one side with songs from "Got Live If You Want It" and one side with Sympathy For the Devil, Honky Tonk Women, Gimme Shelter, JJF, Street Fighting Man, Love In Vain. The latter album side was a serious encouragement for me to become a musician.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: November 28, 2006 01:44

I fell instantly in love with satisfaction of course(who doesn't) with Gimme Shelter when I first heard it on B2B dvd and I was thinking that the intro was pure magic.There are many songs that I liked instantly but I clearly remember that I was downloading from kazzaa can't you hear me knocking but it was with the name cocaine eyes.Attracted by the supposed title I started downloading it.However my line was pstn and it was downloading 3kb so ,I pressed preview when it has downloaded only a few seconds.So I heard the intro chords and I thought that this was the nicest moment in my whole life.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 28, 2006 01:46

FreRock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I fell in love with Bitch

Wow, I hadn't thought about my ex-wife in a long time. She got to you too, huh?

Posted by: bat _outta_hell ()
Date: November 28, 2006 02:41

Satisfaction was instantaneous...I heard it for the first time, in the parking lot of a brand new hamburger joint, that we in the land of Buck Owens and Merle Haggard, had never heard of, until we got our first.

McDONALDS!!!!!!!!!!
had never seen such skinny but without a doubt,(at the time) the best fries ever.

other instants would be

under my thumb
shes so cold
tell me
mixed emotions
old habits
midnight rambler...

(*&^%$# this ain't easy, so I'll quit here.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 28, 2006 03:13

YIKES....this is scarry, but here goes: Brown Sugar. Didnt like it at first. I thought the horns sounded funny. It grew on me, and luckily now I see the error in my ways. (Or the error I HAD, that particular one anyways).

the first stones music that I really got into was Under My thumb, Time Is On My Side and songs from the Some Girls Album (Miss You, Beast of Burden, Imigination Shattered). and I remember the Title track of Let It Bleed just blew me away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-28 03:20 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home