Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LA gets BANGED - my thoughts on the Dodger Stadium show.
Date: November 23, 2006 11:47

As some of you who follow my machinations here on the message board may be aware, this show was a long time coming. The postponements and cancellations in Europe; the postponement of Dodger Stadium - these had affected me (and my wallet) rather hard. So can you blame me for the fact that over the past few days I have been having recurring nightmares that for some reason or other the show would be cancelled -- or my flight to Los Angeles cancelled, for that matter.

Well I was there - and, in word: BOOOOYA!

A natural born skeptic, I had been somewhat reluctant to believe that the Ron Wood renaissance that I've read described was really in existense. I'm not skeptical about it anymore - Ronnie was a Godsend tonight. His blistering leads on Start Me Up and Tumbling Dice were fantastic, and his playing on All Down the Line made that song the highlight of the evening. Oh yeah, he had a cool yellow-tshirt and scarf combo goin on as well.

Mick - what can be said about him that hasn't been already? The man is simply amazing - and he was in top form this evening. Charging like a hurricane into Jumping Jack Flash at the outset, he didn't let up until the final bow after a rousing rendition of Brown Sugar. (And in a specially poignant moment, he put his arm around Keith as they exited the stage after the final bow.)

Keith, when he played, did his famed monster riffs justice as, well. His work was particularly impressive on She Was Hot (thanks for playing it!) and Sympathy. I just wish that he had played a bit MORE - Tumbling Dice, in particular, suffered from a paucity of rythm guitar. His soleful singing on You Got The Silver made up for it, though.

And Charlie was Charlie, which, of course, is a huge complement in and of itself. He continues to be the best in the business.

Well this review would not be complete without a few complaints; though the main drawback of the night was not the band's fault. A question, then: did all ADD sufferers from the LA area agree to meet at Dodger Stadium tonight? I was standing up, dancing and grooving to All Down the Line and Midnight Rambler, when I suddenly realized that the majority of people in my section were sitting and sending text messages, talking to their friends or - oh God, no - knocking around beach balls. The people in my section weren't even Forty Licks fans - they were something like 10 licks fans. I kid you not, the majority of people in my section did not even know Tumbling Dice - nor did they care to listen.

Bonnie Raitt started off the evening with an excellent set of bluesy rock; she did a nice job on Dead Flowers as well, though she came in a bit late on the second verse.

All in all an excellent show, and SEE YOU IN EUROPE NEXT SUMMER!

you can't catch me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-23 11:57 by The Notorious NIK.

Re: LA gets BANGED - my thoughts on the Dodger Stadium show.
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 23, 2006 11:55

Glad you finally got to see them, Nikki - see you next summer!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 23, 2006 11:56

Great review. Kudos...

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 23, 2006 13:45

Knocking around beach balls...? Never thought of that. I'll bring one next summer, sounds like fun. Nice review, NK.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 23, 2006 13:48

save the beach balls for a jimmy buffett show.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 23, 2006 13:48

Nice review!

It's unbelievable how indifferent some of the concert-goers seem towards the main act... And yes, Keith plays well, but should play MORE!

Date: November 23, 2006 13:52

The Notorious NIK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
A question, then:
> did all ADD sufferers from the LA area agree to
> meet at Dodger Stadium tonight? I suddenly realized that
> the majority of people in my section were sitting
> and sending text messages, talking to their
> friends

What LA fans were calling each other about:

"Okay, like, this first song, like, it's cool, but, like, I never heard it. It's about the gas crisis, I think. No wait! 'It's a gas.' So, like, it's about some kind of gas. Omigod! They're like getting all environmental."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 23, 2006 14:03

"Well this review would not be complete without a few complaints; though the main drawback of the night was not the band's fault. A question, then: did all ADD sufferers from the LA area agree to meet at Dodger Stadium tonight? I was standing up, dancing and grooving to All Down the Line and Midnight Rambler, when I suddenly realized that the majority of people in my section were sitting and sending text messages, talking to their friends or - oh God, no - knocking around beach balls. The people in my section weren't even Forty Licks fans - they were something like 10 licks fans. I kid you not, the majority of people in my section did not even know Tumbling Dice - nor did they care to listen."

So sad to hear that (even though it is something to be expected nowadays). Much to me surprise I had an opposite experience at Twickenham in August. I sat very far behind, upper level at cheapest seats, but the atmosphere were superb: people were dancing, singing along, drinking beer and having a really good time,; smiling, laughing , enjoying faces everywhere - even though the main act was something 100 meters from us, and I think all we saw was through the screen, and the sound was muddy. Lots of young people there also (and knowing the lyrics!). It felt like a rock and roll show!

- Doxa

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 23, 2006 15:04

Thanks for this review. sad to read the few involvement of the crowd.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 23, 2006 16:12

Fantastic review; so glad to hear that! Don't worry about the crowd, here in Europe next summer you'll experience the real rock'n roll crowd attitude (hopefully, they won't put seats on the field everywhere, will they?).

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: November 23, 2006 16:37

Wild Slivovitz has right. Every Stones concert i have seen in Europe (four ABB gigs included) took place in hot atmosphere. Especially in South Europe.

European fanbase is younger. Maybe MUCH younger than the northamerican fanbase. But i think we must count another factor: In the US they are visiting some cities 3, 4 or even 5 times during the tour. Anyone who saw them two or three times a months ago, in NY, Boston, Chicago or LA, doesn't keep the same level of enthousiasm on the fourth concert. Even the show is great as usual, even he is a huge fan.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 23, 2006 17:06

stickydion Wrote:
> Wild Slivovitz has right. Every Stones concert i
> have seen in Europe (four ABB gigs included) took
> place in hot atmosphere. Especially in South
> Europe.
>
> European fanbase is younger. Maybe MUCH younger
> than the northamerican fanbase. But i think we
> must count another factor: In the US they are
> visiting some cities 3, 4 or even 5 times during
> the tour. Anyone who saw them two or three times a
> months ago, in NY, Boston, Chicago or LA, doesn't
> keep the same level of enthousiasm on the fourth
> concert. Even the show is great as usual, even he
> is a huge fan.

<<<< European fanbase is younger. Maybe MUCH younger than the northamerican fanbase >>>>

Yeah, that would be my perception too, having seen three shows in the States in 2005 and two again in 2006, and comparing them to the seven I saw in Europe in 2006. I can't help but feel that in addition to the point stickydion makes about them "coming round again" in the States, that also ticket prices have got at least SOMETHING to do with it. I mean really, you get little change out of a staggering $500 for a lot of the seats at U.S. shows. How user friendly is a $500 ticket towards "younger" people ? Answer: not very !! At least in Europe the prices were a bit easier on the average wallet. Even in good old very expensive U.K. the top price tickets were still about $180-190 less than the equivalent in the U.S.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 23, 2006 17:38

That was a great review, I think you pretty much nailed it.

There were no indifferent crowd problems in my area. The fans were into it.

I was a fourth-place winner in the Radio Shack contest, and the seats were on the "floor" in the 18th row. My wife and I left early and got there at 5:00--which we were instructed to do--and that paid off because traffic wasn't good and it could only get worse at 5:00 on a "virtual Friday," the start of a holiday weekend.

We were sitting next to some nice folks who got to have a meet and greet before the show. They were also fourth-place winners, but the guy explained to me that they picked one out of twenty fourth-place winners to get that extra perk.

I would have loved that. The odds of winning the contest were impossible...and yet we made that. By comparison, one out of twenty would have been easy...

But it was OK. Why worry about it? I was glad to be there and I was happy for them. They were fans, and very nice people. They also said they were told that they'd be getting their photo before Christmas, and that they'd be using it as their Christmas card this year! (You can't get much merrier than that!)

Bonnie was the perfect warm-up. Good rootsy music. She said she was going to "grease the pan" for the Stones at the beginning. Also mentioned seeing them in '66 in Long Beach. I joked to my my wife that maybe she was the girl that was bugging her at that show. My wife's most vivid memory of seeing them as a young girl then is of an encounter with a girl behind her in the crowd outside the arena who kept pushing her and pushing her... .until she finally had it and turned around knocked her down a few stairs! (Bonnie, if it was you, no she's not sorry and she'd probably do it again!)

There was a delay before the Stones finally got on, but no one seemed to care. Mick thanked the crowd for twice waiting--for the postponment of the show and for the late start--which he attributed to the holiday traffic, wanted everyone to get inside, and he seemed very sincere.

The band was having a good time. Ronnie as mentioned, was on-game. Terrific smokin' solos. All Down the Line just kicked...Daryl had some great stuff going on during that one. Ronnie and him were slaying during that one. Dead Flowers with Bonnie was cool (but I would have liked to see her play a little slide on another song)

She Was Hot really rocked. Great Midnight Rambler. Loved hearing Keith's intro to Paint It Black on electric, with Ronnie's guitar later providing some sitar-like shadings.

Ronnie also impressed during You Got the Silver. It was so great to see him tone down the clowning and really PLAY. Probably the best RW LA show in 31 years.

It was a good Keith moment as well when he thanked his doctor from New Zealand, his "head man" as he called him. It was nice to hear people cheer the doc, as we all owe him a huge thanks.

They really seemed to be enjoying themselves. At the end Mick wished everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Appropriate, as we fans have so much to be thankful for.

It was a great night.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 23, 2006 17:58

Many Thanks to NIK and Loog Droog for the hot off the presses reviews of Dodger

I just gotta believe those boys will play the Forum in LA again.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: November 23, 2006 18:19

cool NIK glad you had a good time

sounds like keith cranked it up for AC and cranked it back down for LA (perhaps owing to Ron being in better shape?)

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: November 23, 2006 18:56

glad you liked the show,i was in ac,friday night and you are right,the boys have been on fire lately.they still have no equal and i think there starting to realize it.

john scialfa

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: November 23, 2006 19:00

Was Ronnie standing the whole show or was he seated like in AC?

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 23, 2006 19:36

how were AC/DC ?

yawning smiley)

Date: November 23, 2006 19:48

fleabitpeanutmonkey Wrote:
> The Notorious NIK Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> A question, then:
> > did all ADD sufferers from the LA area agree to
> > meet at Dodger Stadium tonight? I suddenly
> realized that
> > the majority of people in my section were
> sitting
> > and sending text messages, talking to their
> > friends
>
> What LA fans were calling each other about:
>
> "Okay, like, this first song, like, it's cool,
> but, like, I never heard it. It's about the gas
> crisis, I think. No wait! 'It's a gas.' So,
> like, it's about some kind of gas. Omigod!
> They're like getting all environmental."
LMAO! So, it's not just me with those observations...hehe

A vast majority of Californians,mostly SoCal, (but not everyobody as I'm sure the Stones fans from/living in L.A./SoCal on this board don't apply to this) are superficial, shallow, narcissistic, pea-brained, lacking of the human soul, motivated by solely material things, etc.

They probably attended the show not because they are fans and they appreciate classic Rock but more becuase 1. It's there 2. It sounds cool 3. They might have heard The Rolling Stones were/are cool 4. Their friend is going and it had a subsequent domino effect.

I've been to other Big Events in L.A. in the past and I noticed the same behaviours... it was more about simply appearing and being at the event rather than appreciating the experience.
You'll all so see them frequently show up late and leave early although that may be conditioning due to traffic patterns and congestion.

If you're a true Stones fan from California, please don't be offended, it's not you I'm referring too, it's the others...you know who I mean...
You could put them in a room with the DVD and they'd get the same experience from the TV as they would LIVE show...

Date: November 23, 2006 20:05

Was it packed ?

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: November 23, 2006 20:14

Yes, it was pretty much packed.

Date: November 23, 2006 20:16

I've seen the Stones across America, England and Europe many times. And yes, in Southern California.

I think "NumberOneStonesFan" has never seen the Stones in Los Angeles. We know a lot of freebies were given out for Dodger, probably to the tex messaging, sit in their seats gang.

However, there is a large and loyal majority of fans of all ages who were very much there for the band last year at the Hollywood Bowl, Anaheim, The Forum etc.
These people are far from superficial.

The reschedule of Dodger got in the way of a lot of family plans for many of those fans.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: November 23, 2006 20:33

NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
> > A vast majority of Californians,mostly SoCal, (but
> not everyobody as I'm sure the Stones fans
> > >
> > If you're a true Stones fan from California,
> please don't be offended, it's not you I'm
> referring too, it's the others...you know who I
> mean...
> You could put them in a room with the DVD and
> they'd get the same experience from the TV as they
> would LIVE show...

Vast Majority? That's definitely an exaggeration.

But there has always been a lot of that in L.A., at least in the 30+ years I've been going to concerts. And it seems to be particularly bad at Stones concerts - they work at attracting a casual fan base, which makes sense when you are trying to push fifty - sixty thousand tickets. That said, I doubt that it is different from most other US audiences. People like to bash L.A. audiences (and traffic, and neighborhoods, etc etc.). The list goes on.

Anyway, the show was GREAT. The setlist was staggering, they played their asses off, and there was plenty of audience participation. THere was even a Stones virgin in our section to initiate.

We even got to see a fight! Beer flying and some young drunk kid pounding on an older guy because the older guy threw a full beer in his girlfriends face because she wouldn't sit down (I know, I know, but she was high on something and was definitely provoking the old guy). So we got to see that and security clear out about eight people from our section and I guess kick them out. And then how is this for a loyal girlfriend - he gets kicked out for defending her. and her fat ass shrugs it off and proceeds to make a pig out of herself for the rest of the concert! It was great.

Overall, probably my best Stones experience since I first saw them in 1978 in Anaheim.... the difference between this show and Anaheim in 2005 was 2000 Light Years From Home, baby!

Date: November 23, 2006 20:43

bigbang Wrote:
> Yes, it was pretty much packed.

Wonderful. Thanks

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 23, 2006 21:35

georgeV Wrote:
> Was Ronnie standing the whole show or was he
> seated like in AC?

Ronnie was standing and seemed fine walking.

He moved around OK...but there was less posing...and more PLAYING.

Rock on, Ronnie.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 23, 2006 21:38

NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
> fleabitpeanutmonkey Wrote:
> -----
> > The Notorious NIK Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > A question, then:
> > > did all ADD sufferers from the LA area agree
> to
> > > meet at Dodger Stadium tonight? I suddenly
> > realized that
> > > the majority of people in my section were
> > sitting
> > > and sending text messages, talking to their
> > > friends
> >
> >
>
> A vast majority of Californians,mostly SoCal, (but
> not everyobody as I'm sure the Stones fans
> from/living in L.A./SoCal on this board don't
> apply to this) are superficial, shallow,
> narcissistic, pea-brained, lacking of the human
> soul, motivated by solely material things, etc.
>
> They probably attended the show not because they
> are fans and they appreciate classic Rock but more
> becuase 1. It's there 2. It sounds cool 3. They
> might have heard The Rolling Stones were/are cool
> 4. Their friend is going and it had a subsequent
> domino effect.
>
> I've been to other Big Events in L.A. in the past
> and I noticed the same behaviours... it was more
> about simply appearing and being at the event
> rather than appreciating the experience.
> You'll all so see them frequently show up late and
> leave early although that may be conditioning due
> to traffic patterns and congestion.
>
> If you're a true Stones fan from California,
> please don't be offended, it's not you I'm
> referring too, it's the others...you know who I
> mean...
> You could put them in a room with the DVD and
> they'd get the same experience from the TV as they
> would LIVE show...

no offense takin #1StonesFan........i whole-heartedly agree with you.....i've lived in L.A. my whole life, and am glad to report that i am repelled by these types..........the whole Hollywood image thing is one big farce..............a good plummer is 10x more important than these so-called celebs and wanna-beez

Date: November 23, 2006 21:47

You're right, I haven't seen a Stones show in LA...kinda scared too ;-)

But I've been to other stadium/arena events and I could relate to Nik's and Fleabit's comments about vaccuous fans with ADD at the show and I was expounding upon that...

I would bet many of the real fans at LA shows travel from other countries and states to the show and those fans "from L.A." were actually originally from another State and moved to California...

Is Paris Hilton from New York or L.A.? 'cuz she seems more L.A. then NYC...
L.A. people remind me of Paris Hilton's brain and vice versa... hehe

Date: November 23, 2006 22:02

There are creeps in every rock audience, not just LA.

Forget about 100 celebs and wannabes, I stand by the Stones popularity then and now in LA. All you have to do is track their record/Cd/DVD sales in Southern California.

Anyone who was at last year's Hollywood Bowl and Forum shows KNOWS the crowd was full of dedicated Stones fans,the great majority from the LA area. People who paid for their tickets and were on their feet or dancing in the aisles throughout the show. Many parents with their teenage kids. Many new teen and twenties fans. And a whole lot of people, some quite well preserved (!) who've been seeing the Stones in Los Angeles since the late Sixties. All colors, may I add.

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: November 23, 2006 22:15

The show was great. The people where I was sitting were going nuts. I was glad that the place was packed, some people might have left early because gettingout of Dodger Stadium is a mess. L.A, fans, the real fans should not be bashed. The best show i have ever seen was done here, the Forum show in March. No way could Dodger Stadium compare to that but that being said last night was magical. Midnight Rambler was the best I ever heard and Bonnie the Red Head Fox and the Jag with Keith singing back up on Dead Flowere was sublime. Don't bash Boss Angeles all of that early great Stones stuff that eveyone loves was done right here. In all the times I have seen the Old Men, I have never seen a happier bunch. Hey maybe they can keep it going. Talking about Boss Angles again where else are you going to Jamie Foxx, Bill Walton and Earl Palmer one of the great rock and roll drummers in the audience. Wish I was going to Canada.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: November 23, 2006 22:41

Hey, I gotta stick up for the peeps in my hometown.

Yes, there are obnoxious boors in L.A. By their egocentric nature, they tend to be noticed and caught in the act of being jerks, often with their cellphones pressed against their ears. But . . . please. People like this can be found in any city. L.A. is home to a lot of decent, sincere and polite music fans. So, hey, let's raise a glass to them.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home