Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The BEATLES' "LOVE": Have you Seen/Heard it? Opinions?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 16, 2006 05:43

You can listen to a <preview here>.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-16 06:56 by schillid.

Re: OT: The BEATLES' "LOVE": Have you heard any of it? Opinions?
Posted by: Annie415 ()
Date: November 16, 2006 06:05

One number from the show will be done on Jay Leno tonight Wed.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: November 16, 2006 06:14

We went to see it at the Mirage in late August. Absolutely awesome. I'm not much into Cirque De Soleil, but combined with the re-done Beatles music, I just can't say enough about it. We plan on going again.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: November 16, 2006 06:53

I loved it. Chrissy Hynde (sp?) of the Pretenders commented on it during the show before the Who. She said something like how it is great to see Cique De Soleil and lip sync to the Beatles great songs. She asked if anyone gone to it. She loved it.

It was real trippy. There are all these people doing things that kinda goes with the music. Not as intense physical stuff throughout like I have seen with other Cirque De Soliel, but had an amazing amount of stuff going on at once.

Really fun!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: November 16, 2006 07:38

Annie415 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One number from the show will be done on Jay Leno
> tonight Wed.

From what I saw/heard...not what I expected. It was a little on the weak side. That performance did not inspire me to go see this show/performance.

Re: OT: The BEATLES' "LOVE": Have you Seen/Heard it? Opinions?
Date: November 16, 2006 11:05

Bingo

Not sure what I expected either, but I agree with you. Am hoping that it was not representative of whole show. Maybe someone who saw both the real show and Leno number (Lady Madonna with Drive My Car) could comment.

Perhaps other numbers are too complex setwise, etc. to do as a one-off for a TV show. I think I recall reading there is use of video screens and lighting effects that were missing from the Leno performance.

Still will probably go see it next spring.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: November 16, 2006 21:08

I was up in the cheapest seats, rear Balcony, you can see everything just fine, probably better than being far forward, as there is so much, sometimes too much for my taste, going on throughout the auditorium, from above the perspective is better.

Great physical performances and amazing choreography by the Cirque team, just felt the song interpretations a bit strange at times. Perhaps a bit too clever and precise,as it has to be I suppose,but it lacked heart and soul for me.

That would come two days later, last Saturday, at the MGM.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 16, 2006 23:57

I've got the CD. I'm a little mixed on it.

The music, of course, is great. I just have a problem with it being screwed with almost 40 years down the road (even though it is sanctioned by the remaining people who created it). At times it reminds me of the old "Stars-On" collections that made silly medleys of various artists works.

On one hand, it is fascinating hearing things like the solo from Taxman spliced into Drive My Car and how well it actually works there, or the new splices that give us a whole new Strawberry Fields Forever (which was a splice-job to begin with).

But, all of the songs here were perfect as they were. I don't want start expecting those deviations in my head when I hear the originals that have been so prominant in my life's "soundtrack".

I will enjoy listening to this and disecting the new mixes... but plan to shelve it after the novelty wears off. I will listen to the originals until the ears give out!

Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-16 23:58 by Ross.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 17, 2006 12:00

Ross Wrote:
> At times it
> reminds me of the old "Stars-On" collections that
> made silly medleys of various artists works.

You mean Jive Bunny & The Megamixers? smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 17, 2006 12:45

It's perfect music for the car....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 17, 2006 12:55

I read that it is actually a lot better than one would think. It was put together by George Martin's son. With assistance from George Senior and the endorsment from the official Beatles camp (Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Mrs Harrison).
The cool thing is suppose;dy when they combine tunes. On top of each other. Like the solo from one song on top of a coda from another.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: November 17, 2006 13:39

Just found out Beatlefest will be coming to the Mirage July 1-3, 2007 and that would be a great time to see the LOVE show.

www.thefestforbeatlesfans.com

FEATURING CONCERTS BY PETER & GORDON, THE PETE BEST BAND, WINGS MEMBERS DENNY LAINE, LAURENCE JUBER & DENNY SEIWELL, AND LIVERPOOL!
We are also planning to have many of the performers from the LOVE Cirque Du Soleil show as guests.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 20, 2006 15:00

will help pay for Macca's divorce, i suppose

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 20, 2006 15:10

When I heard the original announcement, I assumed that these would be audiophile quality 5.1 remixes of the Beatles numbers that appear in the musical. After listening to the crappy mixes from the original 1988-89 capitol CD's, I was pretty thrilled -- then I found out they were mash-ups; what a let down. I will buy it, but I don't expect to like it.

Date: November 20, 2006 15:35

It can be heard in it's entirety on the website I'm told. It's Beatles, and that usually means it's good. I read a review of it today that said that it's good, but one can't help of thinking about necrophilia when you hear it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 20, 2006 16:00

There are great moments on the album, like "Because" a capella and the "new version" of While My Guitar Gently Weeps (George's acoustic demo with added string section, sounds like a "Yesterday" companion, transcending the demo into heavenly spheres - so moving, so touching). Otherwise, the album shows what studio trickery and tape splicing can do with Beatles recordings, it's very complex, and often leaves your mouth open like "wow!" - but only time can tell if this album will have a lasting effect once the novelty effect is gone. But then, just the truly magical tracks like the ones mentioned above are worth the money alone.

Date: November 20, 2006 16:02

My brother just bought it. Hearing it right now. 15-20 minutes into it. I really like it so far. I've just reached the start of "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" (Awesome song).

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-20 16:03 by JumpingKentFlash.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: November 20, 2006 16:38

retired_dog Wrote:
> There are great moments on the album, like
> "Because" a capella and the "new version" of While
> My Guitar Gently Weeps (George's acoustic demo
> with added string section, sounds like a
> "Yesterday" companion, transcending the demo into
> heavenly spheres - so moving, so touching).
> Otherwise, the album shows what studio trickery
> and tape splicing can do with Beatles recordings,
> it's very complex, and often leaves your mouth
> open like "wow!" - but only time can tell if this
> album will have a lasting effect once the novelty
> effect is gone. But then, just the truly magical
> tracks like the ones mentioned above are worth the
> money alone.

Very true...as somebody associated with the release said "it's like we've drawn a moustace on the mona lisa'...

what i've heard thus far sounds quite impressive, but will i still listen to it in six months time from start to finish? I don't know. I had the same issues with the Anthology albums - especially #2 - in that some of the stuff was absolutley great, but I still just go back to the original albums...

after x years of it being set in stone that a given song should last x minutes and y seconds and fade out at a certain point, it's rather unsettling to hear a new, authoratitive version of the same song...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home