Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Do you think Keith takes arthritis medication?
Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: November 6, 2006 23:43

Hate to get OT on the bowel movement topic, but...

Re: Do you think Keith takes arthritis medication?
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: November 6, 2006 23:45

He sure does, it is also confirmed by various newspaper reports, interviews, etc.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: November 7, 2006 00:48

Of course he's on medication - selvadminestered of course ;-) ("Have you ever seen a ghost, no, but I've heard of them")

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 7, 2006 01:19

Largelingerie, what an intriguing handle. Does that make you a BBW or a fetishist or a flabby transvestite, or all of the above?

So far you've written above BMs and stiff fingers -- I don't know whether to go "hmmm..." or "yuck!" LOL

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 7, 2006 02:12

Yeah........it's called vodka and tonicsmiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 7, 2006 04:25

Joints for his joints

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: November 7, 2006 06:39

..... ya dont think those are real fingers da ya?????

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 7, 2006 10:02

He should drink less and smoke more jazz tobacco.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 7, 2006 10:16

Shouldn't he get some sort of operation on his fingers really??? I mean that big pieceof brusk that's on his index finger is pretty bad. Sure it can be fixed....Right???

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 7, 2006 10:17

No it cant.

Date: November 7, 2006 10:19

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No it cant.

It can't? Seems strange if that's the case I think. If it's really just talk of some brusk in his fingers then it can I think. But I'm not sure.

What is arthritis really?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 7, 2006 10:21

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 01:10 by Beelyboy.

Date: November 7, 2006 10:35

Thanks Beelyboy.
From About.com:

---------------------
Finger and Thumb Arthritis
From Jonathan Cluett, M.D.,
Your Guide to Orthopedics.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
Cartilage wear in the joints of the hand
Arthritis is a problem that causes a wearing away of normal joint surfaces. Joints are the points where two bones meet eachother. These junctions have special linings on the bones to allow motion at the joints. When this special lining (cartilage) is worn away, arthritis is the condition that results.
Finger and thumb arthritis is common because there are 27 bones in each hand! This means that there are many joints in the fingers that can develop arthritis. Furthermore, we are very dependent on our fingers for many normal activities. Any problem that affects these joints can limit many normal activities.

There are two types of arthritis that commonly affect the fingers and thumb. These are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis, also called degenerative joint disease and wear-and-tear arthritis, is the most common type of arthritis.
Sponsored Links
Cure Tendonitis Pain
Discover The Safest Most Effective Tendonitis Cure Available Now.
www.CureTendonitis.com

Grandmas Arthritis Cure
Grandson discovers natural cure for arthritis, fibromyalgia, joints
www.jointpainremedy.com

Rheumatoid Arthritis Cure
New Science Shows How to Naturally Eliminate Rheumatoid Arthritis Fast
MicroNutra.com
In this condition, the normal cartilage is steadily worn away, exposing bare bone at the joints. The most commonly affected joints in the fingers are the knuckles of the mid-finger and fingertip (the PIP and DIP joints), and the joint at the base of the thumb.

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis causes a different type of joint destruction. Rheumatoid arthritis is a systemic disease that can cause a number of problems. Among these, rheumatoid arthritis can cause inflammation of the lining of joints. The most commonly affected joints in the hand are the knuckles at the base of the fingers (the MCP joints).
What are the symptoms of finger and thumb arthritis?
Symptoms of hand arthritis include:
Joint pain
Swelling
Stiffness
Loss of motion
Patients with osteoarthritis often develop lumps or nodules around the knuckles of the fingers. These lumps are called Heberden's nodes (when around the more distant knuckle) or Bouchard's nodes (when around the closer knuckle), and actually consist of bone spurs, or osteophytes, around the joints. These knuckles often become enlarged, swollen, and stiff.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis often have the aforementioned symptoms, but can also have more complex deformities of the hands. These include deformities such as a "Boutonniere" or "swan neck" deformity. The fingers may begin to shift from their normal position, and drift away from the thumb.

What are the treatments for finger and thumb arthritis?
Early treatments of finger and thumb arthritis are focused on managing the symptoms in an effort to avoid surgery. Treatment options include:

Anti-Inflammatory Medications
These medications can help treat the pain of arthritis, and also help decrease inflammation and swelling around the joints.

Cortisone Injections
Cortisone is a more powerful anti-inflammatory medication and can be useful in limited applications in the hand.

Hand Therapy
Hand therapy, usually performed by an occupational therapist, is helpful to maintain motion and prevent stiffening of the joints.

Ice & Heat Treatment
Joint stiffness and range of motion can be improved by ice and heat treatments.

Splints
Splinting helps to relax and rest the joints. Splinting should be done for limited periods of time to allow for relief without allowing the joint to stiffen.
If these treatments fail, then surgery may be necessary. In the fingers, several procedures may be done, including removing the bone spurs, fusing the joint, and replacing the joint.
Surgery to treat thumb arthritis is a little different. The most commonly performed procedure to treat thumb arthritis is to remove a portion of the arthritic joint and bone. This space is then filled, usually with a tendon graft. This procedure helps maintain motion at the base of the thumb, and is very effective at relieving pain.
---------------------

According to the last bit, it seems that it is possible to get an operation.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 7, 2006 10:52

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 01:10 by Beelyboy.

Date: November 7, 2006 10:54

Thats why I worship him, Keith is like the bumblebee
which actually can fly but does it anyway!

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: November 7, 2006 11:06

There was a time, a few months ago, when I thought, "You know, I'm glad they self-medicated and didn't go through their prime(s) during these days of mood stabilizers." Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Um, but it terms of anti-inflamatory meds., I'm glad they're around, and I hope he takes them when he's not feeling great.

Personally, after just STANDING for two hours at tonight's show, I came hope and popped a miracle Motrin (or generic substitute).

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 7, 2006 14:26

He has used smack on and off and maybe the 1998-story was a self mediciation. I mean, maybe he's on and off on smack fo other reasons than one thinks.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 7, 2006 15:53

At least visibly, Keith's hands have been in a similar condition for a number of years now.
It suddenly seems to have become an issue on the back of all the focussing on the state of his health over the last few months.
The degree to which his playing is hampered is hard for anybody else to say..but for Keith's technical requirements, I don't see it being all that disabling.
Many players have overcome similar and much greater problems to continue making great music. [what about Django ? ;^) ]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home