Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lost Opportunities 1973
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 15, 2006 23:49

I was reading an old Rolling Stone Magazine article from early 1973. I never realized that they had planned to do 7 consecutive shows at the Budokan in Japan, before being denied visas b/c of Mick's drug bust. Mick says: "we had a lot of different shows for Japan; we were just building up for that. We were going to do seven shows in one place -- we've never done that before -- and by the time you've done three or four, there's all kinds of things you can do, @#$%& around. I was going to cook popcorn, hundreds of things, we really mad, had it all going . . but it needed two weeks rehearsal . . . " I'm not sure whether he's talking about songs or stage gimmicks, but I wonder if they would have mixed it up there, and whether there would have been a monster live album recorded? They had a lot of incentive to do so, since ABKCO was preventing the release of the planned double live album (w/Stevie Wonder) by withholding their consent on the pre-Sticky Fingers material.

Re: Lost Opportunities 1973
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 15, 2006 23:57

Doubt it, as pretty much all of the songs added to the set that werent on the '72 tour were Decca era songs, although in fairness some of them were covers such as Its all over Now, Route 66

I seem to remember Mick having visa problems when trying to get into Japan in the early 90s (I think it was when he was promoting Freejack or something) because of his drug convictions - even though he had already been there a couple of times earlier (1988 and 1990) to perform

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: October 16, 2006 02:27

Yeah that really sucks but you know, alot of things that the Stones have planned to do either never happen, or don't happen they way they planned to do it. If you look at old interviews, lots of times they'll talk about tours that they're planning but now we know that they never happened. For instance, I saw an interview with Keith where he talked about touring in '74 and we all know that never happened. On another note, I can't help but really hate Decca for the fact that we don't have a live album from the '72/'73 era...and the Stones as a functioning band have no desire to dig into their past and release that stuff now.....

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 16, 2006 02:40

And thene there was also the "Only Lovers Left Alive" idea.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Brad F ()
Date: October 16, 2006 15:05

Chelsea Drugstore:

What is the "Only Lovers Left Alive" idea?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2006 15:16

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Brad F ()
Date: October 17, 2006 12:56

Rockman,

Thanks for the reply. I recall hearing about an aborted movie project, but this is the first time anybody's ever actually mentioned it to me by name.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 17, 2006 14:33

Tom Jones scheduled the concert at the same time in Japan.
While Tom sold a ticket for $250, Stones ticket was $ 23 for each.
Mick expressed, "We will hold ticket prices in consideration of Japanese fans."

It is kind of ironic that recent ticket price for Stones is many times higher than Tom Jones or Mariah Carey.

BTW, Budokan show was scheduled on Jan28, 29, 30, 31 and Feb1 in 1973.
That was 5 consecutive shows. Extra shows was not be planned anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home