Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Lead Vox
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 16, 2006 14:28

was listening to "Still A Fool" off Sumlin's album; to Keith's vocal. Now check me, but Keith has no business singing lead on a tune like this. On a major release. If course it is everyone's right to sing whatever they want. But to guest as a "singer" for a hardcore blues tune. With all the deep south lingo. Keith sounds...silly. Love the guitar though.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Re: Keith Lead Vox
Posted by: mofur ()
Date: October 16, 2006 15:53

You stand corrected ;-)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 16, 2006 23:01

chelseadrugstore I much more often agree with you, but in this case - Still A Fool - Keith acquits himself very nicely, in large part because he sounds like Keith at 60 rather than doing (attempting) a delta blues semi-imitation (specifically Muddy)....Less affected than Johansen (who has some nice vocals on that album as well) would have been. It's a strong track, I've played that fine album many times too so it's no first impression. Hell, Hubert's no vocalist (one or two vox from this under-sung legend per album is fine, thank you) nor will I compare the 2006 SAF to Muddy's original or the Stones' late 60s take. Fine album, cool version.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 16, 2006 23:13

ok it's not keith at his best on the mic but not bad at all..the problem to me is the keith can't sing blues numbers anymore as he used to do (think of worried life blues!!) now is a great and soulful ballads singer!

Date: October 16, 2006 23:53

interesting point farawayeyes2, and those (TPIE, Losing My Touch, etc) are what he's more inclined to release to the public these days too.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 17, 2006 00:01

Keith, to me, is a great singer with all the feel and nearness one could wish for. I just love his songs, and his spot on the shows. Would be nice if he did three songs.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 17, 2006 00:22

Keith's rendition of Still a Fool is *real* strong stuff - dark & raw & swampy as all get out,
just the way it should be.

>> (think of worried life blues!!) <<

which do you mean - the 77 version or the Barbarian renditions? totally different animals.
yes he does different things with his voice now - but when hasn't he?
(and if he weren't someone would be bitching about that too)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: October 17, 2006 00:31

PPS Hey w sss. check yr inbox, belated beginnings & so forth

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 17, 2006 01:49

with sssoul i meant that 77 gorgeous tape...that's a voice that makes you cry! really of the best keef things...but, for example, i don't love too much the way he sings key to the highway. His voice has changed a lot, and his singing now fits beautifully ballads more than blues songs to me. Keith has always been one of my favourite singers to me anyway!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 17, 2006 02:18

It's not the soul I talk about. Keith has got enough soul to paint his room with. It si specifically the southern affectations, the drawl that IMO he does not pull off "right". Jagger is king at slipping into roles very convincingly. And I can do Keith on dub reggae "jah mon", on British R&B, on country with the patented Keithian drawl. It is only this particular song that he falls on his face to me. The "sho nuff's" sounds wrong. He usually has his own thing. "Make no Mistake" where he is right in your face; very immediate. "Coming down again" wouyld be the Euro version. But on "Still a Fool" is seems like he trying to do someone else's jack.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: October 17, 2006 04:43

Re "Key to the Highway" - the Johnnie Johnson version? - is a bit mushy and slickly produced, with the keys drowning out the rather polite (for Keith) gtr and vocal...Tanguery, from the same sessions & cd, really works better, inc.vocally.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 17, 2006 09:08

Key to the Highway, did someone say Key to the Highway?
i love the Key Keith did in some hotel room in 78 or 79 (apparently no one is sure).
"don't mess it up": smile smile smile: he played/sang everything on it - he's talkin to himself.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home