Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: BONO all over US TV with new project - Bono bashing already started.....
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: October 14, 2006 12:10

So this last Friday 13/10/06 BONO was so all over American Television (Oprah Show, Larry King on CNN, Segment on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, Segment on MSNBC, did I miss anything?) that I thought he'd taken over. What I find really great is this "BUY RED" project he and BOBBY SHRIVER (A KENNEDY, His Mom is the sister of JFK and RFK) are launching with corporate America to pay for AIDS medication for HIV POSITIVE Africans. (5,500 AFRICANS die a day from AIDS).

All the info is on [www.joinred.com] and it's great to see companies like THE GAP, APPLE/MAC (iPod), ARMANI (Italy's Best Designer), MOTOROLA (cell phones), AMEX, and many more give away some/alot of their profits on certain goods to help the poorest and weakest among us. For once I like some of corporate America (of course, the evil WALMART is no where to be found in this group - as expected).

I see ALOT of BONO bashing on IORR and I don't get it. Maybe he feels very lucky and wants to give back using his fame, money, and influence instead of hanging around VilleFranche doing a lot of nothing - what's wrong with that?. U2 have ALWAYS been an excellent band IMO and just keep getting better. The EDGE is spending a lot of time working getting NEW ORLEANS back on track - what is a little Irish guy doing that for when the American Government SHOULD be doing that? Too bad alot more Hyper Rich musicians and artists don't roll up their sleeves and try to make this world a better place (not mentioning anyone by name) to live on.

My hats off to BONO and EDGE for putting their asses out there and getting the job done. While pedophile Congressmen are molesting young boys (or participating in a cover-up of other's activity in that arena) in the US Capitol 2 Irish rockers are out trying to fix AFRICA'S POVERTY/KILLER DISEASE PROBLEMS and getting NEW ORLEANS, one of the World's GREAT cities to stand tall again. I have nothing but admiration for these guys..... your thoughts......

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-15 05:02 by MicksBrain.

Re: OT: BONO hijacked American TV on Friday
Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: October 14, 2006 12:25

I'm so sorry Bono didn't get the Nobel Peace Prize this year, either. He'll be nominated for the next one! I'm sure.

Posted by: FARAWAY EYES ()
Date: October 14, 2006 12:32

MicksBrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I see ALOT of BONO bashing on IORR and I don't get
> it. Maybe he feels very lucky and wants to give
> back using his fame, money, and influence instead
> of hanging around VilleFranche doing a lot of
> nothing - what's wrong with that?.

Oh it is so beautiful! Bono will save the world, thank God!

what a bullshit! Do you really believe it?

It's like when Stalin or Fidel Castro make people belive that they do it for them, and people belive it, of course Bono is not that dangerous, but the method is like that.

Meanwhile we can read articles about how this divine Bono draw out money from Ireland and make tax tricks.

That's why - among others - I like Keith Richards, he does his ONLY JOB, which is playing the guitar!
As he quoted, he was the only one in the 60's who didn't kissed the feet of Maharishi.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: October 14, 2006 15:11

I do have a great deal of respect for Keith Richards! Just love him, actually. But I must say I have a different type of respect for Bono. It's more of a humanitarian kind of respect than musically. So you guessed I don't like U2. But I do respect and admire Bono for his efforts to get medicine for the many people suffering from AIDS in Africa, his struggle to get the wealthy nations of the world to just write off the debts and loans the Third World countries have, and to supply good helath programmes and vaccines for every child everywhere in the world to get rid of the diseases that are killing them.
I think it's great that he uses his status as a celebrity to get to speak with the leaders of the world about these extremely important issues. Like President Bush, Tony Blair, Kofi Annan, Putin and all the EC-leaders. He has had a great impact on them.
I find it utterly unfair to draw parallels between Bono and Stalin. (and Castro). And I can't find any similarities. Whereas the two politicians - or dictators, to use the right word for it, - have done nothing good for their people, and one of them even being responsible for a genocide (in the former USSR), BONO actually saves lives.
So he spends his vacations in France, and he's made tax arrangements so he doesn't have to pay more tax than he actually has to. But that's not a crime. He pays what he has to. Only fools pay more tax than they're supposed to.
If you ask the 2 Bushes, the Clintons, the other political leaders, present and former, of the world about Bono, I think they might tell you that your picture of Bono is terribly wrong.
And this from someone who doesn't like U2... But I love the Stones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-14 16:54 by Tralala.

Date: October 14, 2006 17:49

Thank you Tralala, like I mentioned in my intro, he doesn't have to be doing ANY of this. To compare hours and hours of free time he's given to brutal dictators is a pretty bizarre view. I used to spend a lot of time in the old Soviet friendly Eastern Europe and I don't see the comparision at all. On top of that almost everybody didn't believe a word the "leaders" would tell them. Who knows what his inner motivations are? An only child who lost his Mom at 16 and his Father a few years ago could have something to do with him relating to children that are losing their parents to Aids (when 2 pills worth 20 cents each will keep them alive). The guy is in a position to help so he does. I just don't see how a negative spin can be put on all this. In the end you have to say is it a plus or minus what these people are doing... I may be a stupid ass according to FARAWAY EYES but I see the whole thing as a plus....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-14 17:57 by MicksBrain.

Re: OT: BONO hijacked USA TV - Bono bashing already started.....
Date: October 14, 2006 19:29

I just think Bono is a person with a big, warm heart. He makes a difference. Actually his work has made me, and thousands of others I'm sure, see things in a different perspective. It's not fair that people in Africa, dying of AIDS, can't get the medicine that can make their lives better, and longer, because the international pharmaceutical industry wants to make big bucks there. The efforts of Bono, Bill Clinton and Bill Gates, in this matter, has actually led to that they now can get medication for a quarter a day. But still, millions don't get the medication... And the 6 million orphans in Zambia alone... That's a different story, but I support SOS Children's villages in Zambia.
And now, I know some of you wil say "that's like pissing in the ocean". OK, so my donations can't help everyone. But for the two children in Zambia I "adopted", it makes a difference. They get food, clothes, education and someone who cares for them. Doesn't matter to you, matters a great deal to them.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2006 20:08

MicksBrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So this last Friday 13/10/06 BONO was so all over
> American Television (Oprah Show, Larry King on
> CNN, Segment on NBC Nightly News with Brian
> Williams, Segment on MSNBC, did I miss anything?)
> that I thought he'd taken over. What I find really
> great is this "BUY RED" project he and BOBBY
> SHRIVER (A KENNEDY, His Mom is the sister of JFK
> and RFK) are launching with corporate America to
> pay for AIDS medication for HIV POSITIVE Africans.
> (5,500 AFRICANS die a day from AIDS).
>
> All the info is on [www.joinred.com] and
> it's great to see companies like THE GAP,
> APPLE/MAC (iPod), ARMANI (Italy's Best Designer),
> MOTOROLA (cell phones), AMEX, and many more give
> away some/alot of their profits on certain goods
> to help the poorest and weakest among us. For once
> I like some of corporate America (of course, the
> evil WALMART is no where to be found in this group
> - as expected).
>
> I see ALOT of BONO bashing on IORR and I don't get
> it. Maybe he feels very lucky and wants to give
> back using his fame, money, and influence instead
> of hanging around VilleFranche doing a lot of
> nothing - what's wrong with that?. U2 have ALWAYS
> been an excellent band IMO and just keep getting
> better. The EDGE is spending a lot of time working
> getting NEW ORLEANS back on track - what is a
> little Irish guy doing that for when the American
> Government SHOULD be doing that? Too bad alot more
> Hyper Rich musicians and artists don't roll up
> their sleeves and try to make this world a better
> place (not mentioning anyone by name) to live on.
>
> My hats off to BONO and EDGE for putting their
> asses out there and getting the job done. While
> pedophile Congressman are molesting young boys in
> the US Capitol 2 Irish rockers are out trying to
> fix AFRICA'S POVERTY/KILLER DISEASE PROBLEMS and
> getting NEW ORLEANS, one of the World's GREAT
> cities to stand tall again. I have nothing but
> admiration for these guys..... your thoughts......

I agree with Micksbrain about Bono. He could be doing alot of other things besides helping people he doesn't even know. I say good for him and the Edge.There needs to be more people like them to make contributions to the world, I know I would if I was in his shoes. Why do people always think there has to be something in it for U2? Can't someone just be kind and help the less fortunate people out there. I am a successful business owner and I like to help people who don't have the basic necessities in life. It makes me feel better doing things like that than when I buy things for myself. Just my opinion.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: October 15, 2006 01:14

Edge was born in Barking, England, and moved to Ireland when he was two, but his musical roots are clearly to the east of London....maybe.

one love.

barking paul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2006 01:36

Bozo even cracks it into the celebrity page...Melbourne Herald Sun 15 Oct 2006

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 15, 2006 04:06

right on Bono.....keep 'em coming MicksBrain

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: October 15, 2006 05:04

Bono is a complete fraud. If he (or Oprah) really care so F__king much about Aids in Africa (or whatever) then I say THEY should give AT LEAST 75% of their assets to the cause. Don't ask ME or any other working stiffs to give away their hard earned cash for THEIR (so-called) cause. Put up or shut up. Like Jesus or Mother Theresa. Don't come begging me for my money you Super-rich F__KS!

Re: OT: BONO all over US TV with new project - Bono bashing already started.....
Date: October 15, 2006 05:33

You know Duane if you would check out what they're trying to do (just click on the website in my intro), you would see that they're NOT asking you to DONATE or buy ANYTHING EXTRA. All they're saying is if you're gonna buy an iPod Nano if you by the special red one some of the profits go to helping sick Africans by buying their 40 cents a day medicine for them with that money. You just buy what you would ANYWAY but just buy the items participating in the program (not everything is red - some stuff is black, some coats are biege) see how the program works? (but you're right, The people who REALLY CARE about this world and about the poor and sick on this planet are all those super rich oil men down in Houston who buy million dollar goddy bling for their bleach blonde face lifted trophey bimbo wives that help them with their greasy dulap (comb over) hair style every morning. Those are the REAL "Salt of the Earth" PEOPLE (manipulating the price of oil depending how close we are to an election - not giving a damn how much "Working Stiffs" like you have to pay....) "RESEARCH" is the key word here Duane, look into it.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-15 05:56 by MicksBrain.

Re: OT: BONO all over US TV with new project - Bono bashing already started.....
Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: October 15, 2006 06:06

You had me reconsidering until you went off the rails halfway into your post. As far as the difference between super-rich oilmen or Mick Jagger for that matter and super-rich fraud/a-holes like Boner and Oprah are that the former are honest about their success (or greed) and the latter are trying to assuage their guilt by pretending to care about some cause and broadcasting such actions over the air-waves to everyone one in the world to try to prove that they have "feelings" and are not just super-rich a-holes. Which of course is exactly what they are. If they really care, like I said, let them put up their own personal fortunes to fix the problem. Then I might reconsider my opinions of these people. Don't shake me down, or Apple for money to assuage YOUR guilt for being so f--king rich. That's Jesse Jacksons game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-15 20:27 by Duane in Houston.

Posted by: EalingClub ()
Date: October 15, 2006 06:16

Bono loves the adulation he gets from all this. While I respect his desire to help those less fortunate, lots of people give millions silently, get dirty in the heart of the problem (without cameras and reporters around) and without the fanfare.

That is true giving, not this blowing a trumpet and "look at me how charitable I am" crap.

"If they really care, like I said, let them put up their own personal fortunes to fix the problem. Then I might reconsider my opinions of these people." Agreed Duane in Houston.

Posted by: abb05 ()
Date: October 15, 2006 07:17

Without knowing ANY of the details of his campaign.....If he's made an impact for the folks who need the help, I don't see why anyone would be against that.

I hope, and feel his heart is probably in the right place. Never purchased, or been a fan of his music though....not that it matters in this case.

Date: October 15, 2006 09:28

Duane wrote:
I agree with Micksbrain about Bono. He could be doing alot of other things besides helping people he doesn't even know. I say good for him and the Edge.There needs to be more people like them to make contributions to the world, I know I would if I was in his shoes. Why do people always think there has to be something in it for U2? Can't someone just be kind and help the less fortunate people out there. I am a successful business owner and I like to help people who don't have the basic necessities in life. It makes me feel better doing things like that than when I buy things for myself. Just my opinion.

... and made a complete fool of himself.
What an attitude! But you don't sound like a very happy person, either. What goes around comes around.
And Ealing Club:
One needs to blow the whistle to make people aware of the problems in Africa. _Or else the TV-news and different governments are going to ignore them. That's why Bono's celebtity status is so important here. He gets attention to things that have been going on for years without anyone in the west caring or giving a shi...!
Bono really makes a difference. And that's not even up for debate. (you houston guys: I guess you listen to the 2 George Bushes! Ask them if Bono's work's important.)

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 15, 2006 12:51

The way Bono has handled this campaign, since at least 1999, is sheer genius. It has been succeeding because it has never been a campaign about having the common people of the world donate money for a cause. That's the pitfall of most charitable campaigns. What Bono has been doing is lobbying politicians and encouraging the public to join in in doing that as well, thus having people give of some of their free time and not their own money. His success in getting foreign leaders of the world to forgive debt to African nations has succeeded because he is going about it in a non partisan way.

Working together with people like Shriver and Jeffry Sachs at Harvard, he's been able to explain the details in a way that both right wing and left wing can see the point in trying to solve these problems in Africa. While left wing people may see the humanitarian side of it, those on the right wing can understand the logic of trying to solve the problems in these areas which end up being breeding grounds for future terrorism. In the US he'll have someone like Bill Clinton on his side, as well as a guy like Jesse Helms, who is at the opposite extreme as Clinton.

This newly unveiled Red campaign is pretty amazing in that it's a simple as consumers buy items they would buy anyway and the manufacturer gives roughly 50% of the profits to AIDS in Africa relief. The public is not in any way donating money, as all they are doing is purchasing these designated goods that they may want anyway. The manufacturers gain from all the positive attention this gets and they are keeping some of the profits as well.

How can you complain about a guy spends his free time trying to do some good? The fact that you have any opinion, whether positive or negative, about Bono doing this means he is succedding in part. He has directed attention towards the severe problems in Africa and you are now aware of it, which is a good portion of what he is trying to do: just have everyone know this is happening in Africa.

As far as Bono as a person, I've personally met him on several occasions over the years and the guy goes out of his way to show his appreciation towards U2 fans. He regularly meets the fans that wait before and afetr shows, posing for photos with them and signing things for them as well. Based on my own personal experience, I can say the guy is a very cool person. Of course he enjoys this attention. Most people who join a rock band, especially lead singers, crave this. He's no different than Mick in this repsect. People on this site pass judgment on him and call him a jerk without even knowing what they're talking about. Personally I prefer that someone try to do something to help out the world than to lay around as say, a hedonistic junkie who doesn't want to contribute anything to the world. It's obvious that Mick, Keith and Ronnie all like and repsect him and the guys in U2, so take their word on him, if you don't want to take mine.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 15, 2006 13:28

Bono's just looking for the ultimate prize...The Nobel Peace prize.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: October 15, 2006 13:39

Halup! Wisely spoken. I certainly hope he does get the Nobel Peace Prize, he has definitely earned it. But I have never for a moment thought that a peace prize nomination is what's inspiring him to carry on with the good the work. I just don't understand why people who want to contribute and do good always get a lot of negative comments... Just don't understand at all.
Does anyone here remember that Keith and Ronnie released a little CD called "Hurricane"... To support the American Red Cross and help the victims after hurricane Cathrina... Have you guys forgotten so give them hell for their efforts? Surely, they cannot have done this out of their good hearts??? It must have been to get attention, yes?! (In case you didn't understand - IRONY here)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home