Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bobby Keys solo album
Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 30, 2006 19:24

Issued in '72, but never in the US, on Warner bros...I understand alot of cool guests (Nicky yes!) are on there, and Bobby's kid once offered to sell me a copy, then cdr one, then did neither...I imagine the opening track to Clapton's first solo album ("Slunky")...anybody have it, & how is it?

Re: Bobby Keys solo album
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 30, 2006 19:43

LP was issued in the US - I have it and have it burned onto CD. Interesting - chocked full of all-star musicians - probably doesn't sound exactly like what you might expect from Bobby - I'd liken it more to an early Chicago Transit Authority sound....

Date: September 30, 2006 20:42

Thanks, I was thinking of the artists he was involved with during the era - Delaney & Bonnie, Clapton, Cocker/Russell, Stones, solo Beatles, etc...email me if you want to discuss an exchange

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 30, 2006 21:00

Delaney & Bonnie--so important and yet so quickly forgotten.

They made some amazing rock n' soul records.

All of the great musicians that made up the "Friends" of Delaney & Bonnie and Friends: Leon, Bobby, Jim Price, most of Derek and the Dominos, Jim Keltner.

It's seems crazy that D&B are just a footnote these days.

Date: September 30, 2006 21:23

loog droog, I so much agree. I'd mention that in the past couple years there have been 3 D&B albums reissued:
"Home" (recorded 1968, Stax), recorded first, but issued 2nd, in '69, newly expanded with 8 bonus tracks & nicely remastered. The Stax crew is superb.
"Accept No Substitute" (1969) the 'Elektra' label debut now on Collector's Choice, & this is the one that turned on Clapton, Harrison, etc & got them the opening slot on the Blind Faith tour.
"D&B Together" (1972) Their last studio album, unfortunately the bonus trax are from their post D&B solo albums (outtakes exist but couldnt be liscensed in time for release)...Several hit singles & guest stars Duane, EC, Preston etc.
Now how about an expanded "On Tour With Eric Clapton" ('70), produced by Jimmy Miller & featuring the entire Derek & The Dominos (plus Keys & Price etc)?
and "To Bonnie From Delaney" & "Motel Shot"(Gram Parsons is on the last) neither of which has ever been on cd in the US?

Date: September 30, 2006 21:58

Odd that the D&B Together album on Columbia featured the studio version of "Only You Know" and I Know that was originally released as a single on Atco.

I agree that if there ever was an album that needed an expanded version, it's On Tour. "I Don't Want to Discuss It" is one of my favorite live tracks ever.

I am also waiting for the other two to be put out on CD. And let's get D&B and Friends in the RnR Hall of Fame, PLEASE!

Speaking of forgotten greats: Did you get the 3-disc Steve Marriott anthology, "Tin Soldier?" Great set. (I wish Woody's had been that good)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-01 00:51 by loog droog.

Date: September 30, 2006 23:37

Weird, "Move 'em Out" was an Atco single too...Thanks for the tip on Marriott...Will check it out.
After being spoiled by the Faces box I too was a bit disappointed by the Ron Wood collection - only 2 unissued tracks, the remastering (unless it's a flawed disc) is not great, & various editing errors in the booklet (Gary Kellgren becomes Greg, etc)...

Date: October 1, 2006 00:59

The Marriott set has a few surprises. (which I won't give away!)

Like any set by an artist you're very familiar with, there's a few things I wish they had put on the Marriott collection. (Even the great Faces box could use the Rod Mercury/studio tracks that featured the band --"I'm Losing You" "True Blue" etc.) It does a nice job of tracking a circular career with many high points.

I got the Woody set this week, and I'd also have to say the word is... disappointment. Would have had a few more Stones numbers that he co-wrote, along with the above mentioned Rod tracks where he really plays some monster guitar instead of "Maggie May". Also MIA: "Around the Plynth" and "That's All You Need."

Solo choices were weird--not enough Now Look-- "I've Got a Feeling" and that album's version of "Breathe On Me" (Why does Bernard get songwriting credit on the Slide On This version??) NOTHING from Gimme Some Neck??

Hopefully in 10 years when they do another one they'll ask US!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-01 02:12 by loog droog.

Date: October 1, 2006 01:05

I think the Bernard credit on Breathe On Me is another editing error (BF co-wrote lots of Slide's material), and tho I like all official versions, the Now Look version is one of his solo classics. They also date Everything Is Turning to Gold as 1981, not '78 (because Sucking in the 70s came out in '81, I'd guess...)
Looking over the D&B vinyl after these posts, just noticed/remembered that's the great Little Richard hisself playing piano on a funky "Miss Ann", and King Curtis was in there, so many greats on a virtually forgotton catalog...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-01 01:07 by john r.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 1, 2006 04:48

I also noticed the credit for Bernard on "breathe on me" and was wondering if Ron was throwing him a bone for the help on Slide. For such a personal song that is weird. I also thought that Ron sold himself short on Faces material. he could have inckluded some barnburners; some live versions where he shines. But I think it is the writng that he today feels the proudest of. I do think that the newest stuff from "Not for Beginners" is closest to him nowadays; identifies with it the most.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home